• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

No electricity going to coil

Aristocrit

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford ranger
Transmission
Manual
Hi there I'm relatively inexperienced with working on vehicles. While driving my truck died and wouldn't start. I narrowed it down I'm receiving fuel and air. But I am no longer receiving a spark to the plugs. my dad and I narrowed down that the coil isn't receiving any electricity. Does any one know where I should start to see why this isn't getting any juice. I also didn't see any loose connections.
Thanks so much for any advice it's greatly appreciated!

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
First run a Jumper wire from Battery +, to Coil +, then try to start it.
If it starts that will confirm engine runs but no power to coil.

1984 Ranger would have a 2.8l V6, 2.9l wasn't used until 1986, is this an engine swap vehicle?

In any case either should have a TFI spark system, good read here: http://www.therangerstation.com/tech_library/TFI_Diagnostic.shtml
TFI modules are very old now so do fail, there are two different models.

Power for the coil and TFI module come from the ignition switch, Red/light green wire seen here: http://www.therangerstation.com/tech_library/EDiagrams/files/Diagrams_StartIgnition83to882_9.JPG

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals