• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

4.0L V6 to 2.7L Ecoboost Conversion Question

Troy S.

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L V6
Transmission
Automatic
I'm thinking of swapping out my 2011 Ford Ranger's 4.0L V6 for a 2.7L Ecoboost when they become available. I was wondering with the Ecoboost putting out 365 horsepower and 420 foot pounds of torque, does anybody know if the Ranger's frame could withstand that much power?

stmitch

March 2011 STOTM Winner
MTOTM Winner
2011 Truck of The Year
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I thought the 2.7 was rated @ 325hp/375tq?

Anyway, there are a few guys pushing numbers like that on stock Ranger frames without an issue. It's probably not the most ideal design for that kind of power, but it works.

Have you considered how you'd do a swap like this? Getting the electronics of a boosted, DOHC, direct injected 2015 engine to play nicely with an older Ranger chassis would be quite a job.

James86

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford,
Ford,
Engine Size
3.0 Flex Fuel, 2.5L, 3.3 Flex Fuel
Transmission
Automatic
My credo
WHY DO I KEEP BUYING DODGES?!?!?
I like my 3.0 a lot, but the idea of a Duratech swap has always intrigued me... as far as I know, the 3.0 Vulcan and 3.0 Duratech use the same bellhousing pattern, so HYPOTHETICALLY, snagging a 220HP 3.0 out of a Taurus sound's feasible. I often catch myself drooling at the 3.4 V8 SHO's I see at the U-Pull an hour away... The Contour SVT was pushing 220HP stock from a 2.5 V6, so a 3.0 Duratech should have some potential.

Troy S.

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L V6
Transmission
Automatic
I thought the 2.7 was rated @ 325hp/375tq?

Anyway, there are a few guys pushing numbers like that on stock Ranger frames without an issue. It's probably not the most ideal design for that kind of power, but it works.

Have you considered how you'd do a swap like this? Getting the electronics of a boosted, DOHC, direct injected 2015 engine to play nicely with an older Ranger chassis would be quite a job.
How would it be quite a job?

stmitch

March 2011 STOTM Winner
MTOTM Winner
2011 Truck of The Year
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
How would it be quite a job?
How wouldn't it be?! The electronics used to control a boosted, direct injected engine with cylinder deactivation, and variable valve timing are WAY more complex than anything that ever came in a Ranger. There is basically zero aftermarket for ECUs that can handle direct injected engines, and the few that exist cost thousands.

There's basically a zero percent chance that the Ranger trans would be compatible with any ecoboost ( other than the 4 cylinder Ecoboosts because they share a block with the Duratec 2.3 that came in 01+ Rangers) so you'd need to find a trans for a RWD application, and it would have its own controls and sensors too.

The only way that I see to really do this easily would be to find a wrecked F-150 with the engine and trans that you want. Remove the engine, drivetrain and all of the wiring out of your Ranger and then pull everything out of the donor including all of the wiring for the engine, trans, and dash. Once you get it to fit in the Ranger (nobody knows what is required to make happen) then you can go about eliminating the wiring that won't be needed to make it run. You'd have to be prepared to splice a lot because it's unlikely that electrical sensors and connectors from the Ecoboost truck would be compatible with the Ranger stuff, and I'm guessing that most of it would be connected.

If doing an entire drivetrain and wiring swap, and then figuring out what needs to be there to run, and what doesn't isn't 'quite a job', then you're a better man than I am.

You'd probably end up spending just as much or more putting an Ecoboost in your Ranger as you would just buying an F-150 that has what you want. But it's your truck and your money.

adsm08

Senior Master Grease Monkey
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
I'm with Mitch. It's a cool idea, but it would be a project. The trans issue is something to consider, they are slated to be in the F-150s, but if they use the 6R80, that bell is huge.

The wiring is going to be an issue, as so many things that used to be options are now critical power train control inputs. That means you will need pretty much everything in that harness, and it will all have to be working correctly.

If you end up with a setup that is using IVD (traction control) like almost all of them do these days having the sensors in the wrong vehicle may well make them give incorrect signals.

About the only thing that I can think of that wouldn't be a problem is the fuel system. The Ranger's stock fuel system should be able to feed an Ecoboost, because injection pressure is produced by a mechanical cam-driven pump.

Troy S.

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L V6
Transmission
Automatic
How wouldn't it be?! The electronics used to control a boosted, direct injected engine with cylinder deactivation, and variable valve timing are WAY more complex than anything that ever came in a Ranger. There is basically zero aftermarket for ECUs that can handle direct injected engines, and the few that exist cost thousands.

There's basically a zero percent chance that the Ranger trans would be compatible with any ecoboost ( other than the 4 cylinder Ecoboosts because they share a block with the Duratec 2.3 that came in 01+ Rangers) so you'd need to find a trans for a RWD application, and it would have its own controls and sensors too.

The only way that I see to really do this easily would be to find a wrecked F-150 with the engine and trans that you want. Remove the engine, drivetrain and all of the wiring out of your Ranger and then pull everything out of the donor including all of the wiring for the engine, trans, and dash. Once you get it to fit in the Ranger (nobody knows what is required to make happen) then you can go about eliminating the wiring that won't be needed to make it run. You'd have to be prepared to splice a lot because it's unlikely that electrical sensors and connectors from the Ecoboost truck would be compatible with the Ranger stuff, and I'm guessing that most of it would be connected.

If doing an entire drivetrain and wiring swap, and then figuring out what needs to be there to run, and what doesn't isn't 'quite a job', then you're a better man than I am.

You'd probably end up spending just as much or more putting an Ecoboost in your Ranger as you would just buying an F-150 that has what you want. But it's your truck and your money.
Wow, are there any parts I can get for the 4.0L V6 for the Ranger that would increase the power and the miles per gallon?

adsm08

Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
Wow, are there any parts I can get for the 4.0L V6 for the Ranger that would increase the power and the miles per gallon?
Sorry, it doesn't work that way. You can increase power, or MPG. Generally modifications that increase one will lower the other.

Troy S.

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L V6
Transmission
Automatic
Sorry, it doesn't work that way. You can increase power, or MPG. Generally modifications that increase one will lower the other.
What can I do to increase mpgs?

adsm08

Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
Well, my first suggestion, to everyone, for better MPG is to write your congressmen and start pestering them to have the ethanol taken back out of the gas.

After that, keep fluids changed, filters, tire rotated and inflated, and drive lightly.

The 4.0 is not a great engine for MPG, most of them top out in the high teens.

snoranger

Professional money waster
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
RBV's on Boost
ASE Certified Tech
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'79,'94,'02,'23
Make / Model
All Fords
Engine Type
2.3 EcoBoost
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
I didn't ask for your life story, just answer the question!

I'm up for the challenge... Now if I can just get hands on the totaled interceptor I towed in the other day with 6000 miles on it, I'll be set.

Troy S.

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L V6
Transmission
Automatic
Well, my first suggestion, to everyone, for better MPG is to write your congressmen and start pestering them to have the ethanol taken back out of the gas.

After that, keep fluids changed, filters, tire rotated and inflated, and drive lightly.

The 4.0 is not a great engine for MPG, most of them top out in the high teens.
Which engine gets the best MPG with your truck being a 4x4?

stmitch

March 2011 STOTM Winner
MTOTM Winner
2011 Truck of The Year
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
To get better fuel economy, start by changing your driving habits. Driving style has more effect on MPGs than just about anything else. Drive the speed limit. Coast as much as you can. Don't use a bunch of gas just to sit at a stop sign or light. Maintain your momentum once you've built up some speed.

Reduce the weight of your truck as much as possible. Hauling around weight that you don't need to be hauling makes the vehicle work much harder than it has to.

If you do lots of highway driving, I'd consider some type of aerodynamic mods to help the truck move through the air more efficiently. Rangers have terrible aerodynamics, so the faster you go, the harder the truck has to work, and the more fuel you use. If you have big heavy bumpers or grille guards take them off. They're only costing you fuel. Things like grill blocks, air dams or smooth underbody trays can really help and won't be noticeable by most people if done right.

If you want to buy something to help your fuel economy, I'd suggest something like a Scanguage. It will give you real time mpg numbers that can show you exactly when you're using more fuel than you need. It's kind of like a coach for changing your driving style. Plus, it can monitor lots of other conditions in your vehicle, and can even check and clear system Fault Codes.

chucky2

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L SOHC V-6
Transmission
Automatic
Troy S., if you're willing to do an engine swap, take a look at what greengeeker has done and what JstWantoRide is planning to do. greengeeker is getting upper 30mpg - or right at 40mpg - out of his conversion. JstWantoRide is choosing the more modern 2.0L VW TDI engine and putting it in a Level II, so if he actually gets that conversion done, it will be very interesting to see what he can pull out of it as far as mpg.

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Troy S., if you're willing to do an engine swap, take a look at what greengeeker has done and what JstWantoRide is planning to do. greengeeker is getting upper 30mpg - or right at 40mpg - out of his conversion. JstWantoRide is choosing the more modern 2.0L VW TDI engine and putting it in a Level II, so if he actually gets that conversion done, it will be very interesting to see what he can pull out of it as far as mpg.
It would be cheaper/easier to just get a car.

30mpg is nothing for a car, and gas is cheaper than diesel. No work, as turnkey as it can get.

If Ford was smart they would make a standalone plug and play harness kit for the 2.7/3.5 EB like they do for the 5 liters. That is a big IF but it would be nice.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals