• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

resume help.

mn_smokeater

Firefighter
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
5.4L V8
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
smokeater, I know this isn't really relevant, but isn't your current job working out?
well currently i have no active job.
i worked at Roush til i was laid off
Rem is only a fill in position and its almost no hours
MN DNR will give me all the hours i want and i can work out of state for good money, but its dependent on wildfire season that hasn't started yet.

im also in the hiring process to be a TSO with the TSA but its a slow process so far.

superds

Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Bronco II
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
2" body. 1.5" coil spring spacers/rear block
Ah, sorry about that, I didn't realize you'd been laid off. I thought you still worked with Roush.

Well, I think your luck will change, the job market is looking a lot better than it was a year ago.

mn_smokeater

Firefighter
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
5.4L V8
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD

adsm08

Senior Master Grease Monkey
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
is that too revealing for the internet?
Yes Billy, it is.:icon_rofl::icon_rofl::icon_thumby:

Smokes, do you want to see some copies of resumes I have. I have one resume written up in about 3 or 4 different formats that I'll send you to use as an example if you like.

Also, I recommend buying and reading (for anyone in general) the book "What Color is Your Parachute". Very helpful book when looking for a job.

mn_smokeater

Firefighter
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
5.4L V8
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Ah, sorry about that, I didn't realize you'd been laid off. I thought you still worked with Roush.

Well, I think your luck will change, the job market is looking a lot better than it was a year ago.
no worries.

i just need a right now job lol

mn_smokeater

Firefighter
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
5.4L V8
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Yes Billy, it is.:icon_rofl::icon_rofl::icon_thumby:

Smokes, do you want to see some copies of resumes I have. I have one resume written up in about 3 or 4 different formats that I'll send you to use as an example if you like.

Also, I recommend buying and reading (for anyone in general) the book "What Color is Your Parachute". Very helpful book when looking for a job.
yes please!

il go buy it soon!

robertc1024

TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
nada
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I'd recommend stating what you've done for your previous employers. Things like "Saved XXX hours per year in manufacturing labor because I YYYY'ed" etc. Nothing gets companies stirred up and excited more than having future money-making employees. I also totally agree with tailoring your resumes to the potential employers. I just got through going through a headhunter to find me an engineer. One of the questions I asked every single one of them was "What do you think about our company?" If they didn't have the interest to even google us, I immediately crossed them off the list.

If you don't have all that much work experience, tell them what you'd like to do. I'm way past "what color is your parachute" (just cause I'm an old fart adsm, no offense intended) but it's a good book for people starting out looking for their career path.

I wish you the best of luck man. When I graduated from college, the big oil bust of the mid '80's was going on and I looked for the right job for 2 years. Fortunately, I found it and have worked there for the last 23. Oh yeah, I hate to say it but NETWORK. Even here, put out what you want to do. You never know who might show up and say Hey! that guy's for me.

mn_smokeater

Firefighter
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
5.4L V8
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
I'd recommend stating what you've done for your previous employers. Things like "Saved XXX hours per year in manufacturing labor because I YYYY'ed" etc. Nothing gets companies stirred up and excited more than having future money-making employees. I also totally agree with tailoring your resumes to the potential employers. I just got through going through a headhunter to find me an engineer. One of the questions I asked every single one of them was "What do you think about our company?" If they didn't have the interest to even google us, I immediately crossed them off the list.

If you don't have all that much work experience, tell them what you'd like to do. I'm way past "what color is your parachute" (just cause I'm an old fart adsm, no offense intended) but it's a good book for people starting out looking for their career path.

I wish you the best of luck man. When I graduated from college, the big oil bust of the mid '80's was going on and I looked for the right job for 2 years. Fortunately, I found it and have worked there for the last 23. Oh yeah, I hate to say it but NETWORK. Even here, put out what you want to do. You never know who might show up and say Hey! that guy's for me.
thanks! il see if i can get that applied.

lil_Blue_Ford

TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.9L
Transmission
Manual
The thing with Resumes is that there is really no standardized form. I've been through some classes on resumes and everyone seems to have their own idea on how best to do it. Bottom line is that it doesn't really matter which form you use, but make sure it's concise, coherent, and packs the most useful information. For jobs in the retail field and so forth where typical lifespans of employees are somewhat short and there is 9,000,000,000 other people competing for the same job, make sure the resume fits on one page. For longer term jobs or management positions and the like where there are going to be a lower number of applicants, a 2 page is the maximum (and sometimes needed to convey enough information).

Oh, yea, you want to avoid using the letter "I" as much as possible. Other things to avoid are things like "like" "w/e" "l8r" and writing half of it in a foreign language to show your awesum language skillz. (and yes, I've seen that sort of thing done on a resume and job applications before).

Oh, and whatever you do, don't EVER say "I know how to do everything for this job." That will likely never be true unless you're a burger flipper.

Psychopete

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
Oh, and whatever you do, don't EVER say "I know how to do everything for this job." That will likely never be true unless you're a burger flipper.
That might even be true for flipping a burger, that is if you don't flip burgers the way they want you to do it LOL. I wouldn't be surprised if they had a procedure for that.

Only include jobs that are relevant to the job you are applying for; only put jobs that aren't related if that's all you have to put down. Just need to try and sell yourself - they are hard to write (like nails on a chalk board). Start with a basic draft and have a few people look over it for you, tweak it in. The information on it should be focused on the job you are applying for, why you are the right person for the job.

Tedybear

Firefighter
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1994, 2001
Make / Model
1994 Ford Bronc
Engine Size
5.8v8
Transmission
Automatic
My credo
Failing is easy. Everyone can do it.
Should be a min of at least 3 long term jobs to reference. In my own opinion? Some can be in different areas then you are applying for. You want to show a good track record of sticking with a job to a goodly amount of time. As an employer? I get fully turned off by app's and resume's that show a fistful of jobs, all lasting under 60 days each. That tells me the applicant either won't commit to being around after training, or loves to job-hop. (grabs a job...another one comes along..quits and takes it....rinse and repeat) It's a full waste of time/$$ for an employer. If you can't do 3 long term jobs due to your age/time spent in the workforce? We do take that into consideration.

Never EVER throw your former employer under the bus. Even if you feel you've just been screwed over by the WORST!!....Pissing and moaning about it in any form will have an effect on perspective employers. If you quit due to getting the shaft? Just list "Left due to personal reasons/disagreements"..And if asked during an interview? Be as non-passionate about it, just the facts without getting emotional. I know it's hard, but going off on a former employer? Shows a lack of mature thinking we look for. (vent elsewhere....not at your interview)

Keep a resume' to ONE page ONLY! Short and Sweet. And as odd as it seems? Use a normal 'font', and lightly colored paper. It makes your resume' stand out a bit from the other plain-jane white ones. Most of us managers/admins get anywhere from 30 to 100 app's and resume's when we put the hiring sign out. No kidding--we spend all of 3 minutes average looking over your information/resume'. Make it COUNT!

S-

7.5L_STX

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
unnecessary
Transmission
Automatic
just what the hell you think your doing ya dang yoouper
that was to bilzy......i accidentally posted something here instead of a new thread and i assume he was the only one that saw it.

Edit: Sigged And Repped!

Last edited:

97RangerXLT

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
2"
Tire Size
31"
Always put the important stuff toward the top of the resume. make sure your Name is larger font than the rest of the body with your contact info at the top. make that as a header if you do need two pages or a cover page. Billzy's example above is pretty good. put your work experience and applicable dates next, you might bold them. then school/training. If you have no work experience (ie just graduated) put school and gpa's and extra curricular activities that might apply.

If you held any type of officer positions in school clubs or other types of clubs (like Moose, Elk, Mason's etc) put that in as well. employers want employees w/ leadership potential.

If you are mailing the resume, make sure to mail a coverletter with the resume stating what job position you are seeking, what qualifications you have to fill that job and why you should be chosen.

Make sure that you have all of your contact info up to date. if you don't have a professional sounding email address, make one now and use it for your email contact info. nothing looks tackier than seeing an email addy of "hotstuff@yahoo.com" or "partyanimal@hotmail.com" etc. etc. if you are not sure of it, go with firstname.lastname@yahoo.com or similar.

Above all in the name that is all good and holy, spell and grammar check it! have a family member/friend look it over as well, just don't rely on the computer spell/grammar check.

I have heard of employers deep sixing a resume that had spelling and grammatical errors for the reason of "if he can't take time to make sure his resume is in order, he won't do a good job here"

I can give you a copy of my resume if you want to look at it for reference, just give me a pm.

AJ

mn_smokeater

Firefighter
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
5.4L V8
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
im going to try and figure out how to put my resume up here.

mn_smokeater

Firefighter
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
5.4L V8
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
ok its semi finished and needs somethings updated

Contact Information

Arthur Braun
Rd Sw
Bemidji, MN 56601
(218)
(218)
arthurobraun@gmail.com

Objective

My objective to is maintain a career in the service oriented field where i can know that i am helping to improve peoples lives and at the same time enrich my own life and expand my experiences and lean new things everyday.

Job History/Duties

Smokechaser
MN DNR
Bemidji, MN
Start Date:05/06End Date:06/08

Suppressed fires, maintained trails and work trucks , worked with the public. Operated fleet trucks.

Test Driver
roush industries
Bemidji, mn
Start Date:12/2010End Date:04/2011

Evaluate and report my findings on Test Cars.

DSP
Rem Northstar
Bemidji, MN
Start Date:1/09End Date:04/11

Provided Daily Care for Developmentally Disabled Adults, Gave medications, Cooked meals, Maintained living environment.

Telemarketer
Synergy Solutions
Bemidji, mn
Start Date:10/2008End Date:01/2009

Sales Calls and Political Polling.

Intern
Bemidji Fire Dept.
Bemidji, MN
Start Date:11/05End Date:08/06

Cleaned station, trucks. Assisted firefighters in daily duty's. Repaired equipment. Assisted with dispatching and public relations.

Firefighter
Solway Volunteer Fire Department
Solway, MN
Start Date:11/05End Date:present

Responded to fires, car accidents, and other emergency situations.
Education

Northland Community and Technical College, MN, USA Fire Service Preperation

Certificates/Licenses/Additional Training

Minnesota Fire Service Certification Board, MN
Fire Fighter 1, 4/30/07

American Heart Association, MN
Heartsaver AED, Courses: Adult/Child CPR With Mask and Choking, Adult/Child AED, Infant CPR With Mask and Choking03/01/08

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals