• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Former Ranger Owner Waiting for 2019

wa2be

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Honda Ridgeline
Transmission
Automatic
I’m a former Ranger owner, just checking in to see if anyone knows anything more than the "rumors" floating around the internet about the return of the Ranger in 2019? Sounds like it's actually happening, but there's not much concrete info about powertrains, pricing, or even if it will be a true compact truck vs the more modern definition of a mid-size.

I owned a '99 Ranger XLT for 10 years and thought it was a great vehicle. I replaced it in 2010 with an '06 Honda Ridgeline as my family started growing. Now my Ridgeline has over 120,000 miles on it and I'm starting to think about what my next truck might be. If I was going to buy today I would pull the trigger on a 2016 Colorado or Canyon. I really like the looks of those trucks and the size is right for my needs. The only thing holding me back right now are the rumors of a new Ranger. I would hate to end up regretting purchasing something else if the Ranger comes out and is an awesome alternative to the GM twins.

Anyone else considering a new truck now but holding off for more Ranger info?

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Just google Ranger T6
International Ranger

That will be what the new Ranger platform will be, hopefully they will offer a V8.
Not much smaller than today's F-150, but maybe they will be getting bigger in 2019, lol.

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Just google Ranger T6
International Ranger

That will be what the new Ranger platform will be, hopefully they will offer a V8.
Not much smaller than today's F-150, but maybe they will be getting bigger in 2019, lol.
In 2019 it is questionable if the F-150 will have a V8...

AllanD

TRS Technical Staff
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1987... sorta
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
'93 4.0
Transmission
Manual
I don't want a V8 in the new Ranger...

I'd be happy with a 3.5liter Eco-boost

People wanted a 5.0 Ranger years ago, but how much power did a 5.0 produce?

Point to a 5.0 that produces any where near the hp and torque that the 3.5Ecoboost makes... you CANNOT, the simple fact is that Jack Rousch would have difficulty doing
it in a Race engine and it'd never pass emissions....

Hell an inline 5cyl of 2.5liters with a turbo and gasoline direct injection would do anything I've ever wanted my Ranger to do...

And probably most of the things I ever tried to do with my 1983 F-250 with it's big block engine... (gawd that thing was a fooking DOG!)

AD

tcbaklash

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Manual
First manufacturer to offer an affordable (aka, not the Colorado/Canyon) mid-size truck with a diesel in America has my money. It's looking like it will probably be the Ranger, but there's rumors of a diesel Tacoma and Frontier as well.

If a first-gen Ridgeline fits your needs, the new one is supposed to be better. It's AWD, so you're not going to do anything but light off-road stuff, but it's a lot better for something that you drive on a daily basis. But you may be like me and want a truck that feels like a truck, and I've been doing a lot of research and the new Tacoma seems the most truck-ish of what is being sold these days. I'll have to try it out for myself though.

Last edited:

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I don't want a V8 in the new Ranger...

I'd be happy with a 3.5liter Eco-boost

People wanted a 5.0 Ranger years ago, but how much power did a 5.0 produce?

Point to a 5.0 that produces any where near the hp and torque that the 3.5Ecoboost makes... you CANNOT, the simple fact is that Jack Rousch would have difficulty doing
it in a Race engine and it'd never pass emissions....

Hell an inline 5cyl of 2.5liters with a turbo and gasoline direct injection would do anything I've ever wanted my Ranger to do...

And probably most of the things I ever tried to do with my 1983 F-250 with it's big block engine... (gawd that thing was a fooking DOG!)

AD
Ecoboost F-150 (3.5) puts out 365 hp, 420 lb·ft

A stock 5.0 F-150 puts out 385 hp and 387 lb·ft (Ecoboost has a better powerband, 5.0 still has a nice powerband and is more consistent on mileage)

My next truck (no idea when) will probably have a 5.0.

Roush sells a 600 hp and 557 lb-ft 5.0 F-150, a Stage 3 5.0 Mustang is running 670hp.

Those Coyotes are a nasty unit. :scare:

wa2be

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Honda Ridgeline
Transmission
Automatic
If a first-gen Ridgeline fits your needs, the new one is supposed to be better. It's AWD, so you're not going to do anything but light off-road stuff, but it's a lot better for something that you drive on a daily basis. But you may be like me and want a truck that feels like a truck, and I've been doing a lot of research and the new Tacoma seems the most truck-ish of what is being sold these days. I'll have to try it out for myself though.
The new Ridgeline is just horrible in my opinion. No doubt it will meet most people's truck needs, but it looks like a car, has a car interior, has lower ground clearance than the first gen, and is just all around not appealing to me.

I agree on wanting something more truck-ish, which is why I'm looking at the GM twins right now but wondering about the new Ranger. If Ford offers the 2.7 Ecoboost that 's in the F150, I think they would have a real winner on their hands.

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I agree on wanting something more truck-ish, which is why I'm looking at the GM twins right now but wondering about the new Ranger. If Ford offers the 2.7 Ecoboost that 's in the F150, I think they would have a real winner on their hands.
N/A 3.5/3.7 would be great too.

tcbaklash

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Manual
The new Ridgeline is just horrible in my opinion. No doubt it will meet most people's truck needs, but it looks like a car, has a car interior, has lower ground clearance than the first gen, and is just all around not appealing to me.

Not bashing GM or anything, but just remember that the Colorado/Canyon is actually a re-badged Isuzu with a different engine. I know that some people love their Isuzu pickups/Rodeos/Troopers to death, but there are also a lot of people who hate them. Call me ignorant, but that's honestly what turns me away, they just don't have the immortal reputation of Ford or Toyota mid-sized trucks.

don4331

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Ecoboost 2.3 in T-6 Ranger would provide lots of power (350 horsepower and 350 lb.-ft. of torque in Focus RS). I think I would bet on Ecoboost 2.0 though as engine for NA in Ranger...

If it took Ford making a Unibody FWD chassis to produce something the size of my current Ranger, then I sign me up.

I don't have room in the garage for an F-150 - Ranger spot is 7' x 16' - the '98 fits with only a couple inches to spare...

straycat

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
02 06 and 2012
Make / Model
Jeeps
Transmission
Automatic
OK OK....I asked my brother-in-law. He has been with Ford for 30 years now. He has built the Ranger and F series trucks. He does not own a Ford....WHAT??????? Yes.... but he has owned Tacoma's and Dodge trucks. He said that the Ranger may come here finally by 2020. base price will be just under $25,000. He sent me this link for all of us to share. He said not to hold our breathes 'cause the big shots at Ford can change their minds at any moment once again.

This is from MSN and not from Ford:

http://www.msn.com/en-us/autos/news/2019-ford-ranger-yes-its-returning/ar-BBt79Ox?ocid=spartandhp

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
OK OK....I asked my brother-in-law. He has been with Ford for 30 years now. He has built the Ranger and F series trucks. He does not own a Ford....WHAT??????? Yes.... but he has owned Tacoma's and Dodge trucks. He said that the Ranger may come here finally by 2020. base price will be just under $25,000. He sent me this link for all of us to share. He said not to hold our breathes 'cause the big shots at Ford can change their minds at any moment once again.

This is from MSN and not from Ford:

http://www.msn.com/en-us/autos/news/2019-ford-ranger-yes-its-returning/ar-BBt79Ox?ocid=spartandhp
Is this the same guy that has repeatedly said over and over that the Ranger was never coming back?

Blown

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
I drive my Ranger for it's utility and price. I got no interest in getting something newer that is bigger, costs more and I can't work on as easily.

Now if they came-out with a compact truck based of off a compact Bronco, I might be swayed eventually................................Done with fullsize stuff I don't need and don't want to pay for.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals