• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Back to basic 2019

stegomon

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1987/1990
Make / Model
fords and only
Transmission
Manual
Do you think the ranger will have manual windows and transmission?:popcorn:

planeflyer21

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Nope.

All the manufacturers are going to several-speed auto transmissions. Look at some of the videos on youtube for what the Aussies are getting. Should be real close to that.

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Manual windows maybe.

Most newer vehicles with manual windows kind of suck though, they are optimized for power windows so where the cranks end is usually a less than ideal location.

Rangerx2

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3.7 V6
Transmission
Automatic
My credo
Always question authority
I hope so. I may be the last person left on this planet that actually prefers a basic, no frills work truck. I don't even see the point in all of the fancy-schmancy luxury trucks!
Do I think they'll build it? Probably not. They want to build a truck that they'll sell a thousand of per day. Ford can't afford to be in the business of selling one-off special orders.
Would I buy one anyway? Probably not. I'm starting to get tired of all the tech stuff they're putting in new vehicles. I want something simple, and simple doesn't sell anymore. I'm also tired of high vehicle payments, and paying $20k+ for a used truck that ain't worth anything a year later. I really think my next truck is going to be an older Ranger 4x4 that I can grab for under $10k.

wildbill23c

U.S. Military - Veteran
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Ham Radio Operator
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
Total Drop
Tire Size
215/70-R14
My credo
19K, 19D, 92Y, 88M, 91F....OIF-III (2004-2005)
Doubt it. I have a 2008 Toyota Tundra base model which still has power windows/locks. Nice, but not necessary. I'd be fine with manual windows and locks myself, and a manual transmission, manual transfer case, manual hubs, etc. Most of which has been made electronic or automatic because people are either lazy or just too stupid to manually operate those items LOL. I think its just easier to make everything the same than have to make up 2 different wiring harnesses and different parts 1 for manual 1 for electric.

I don't mind either way, but I'd still prefer manual stuff, just less to go wrong, and easier to trouble shoot most of the time.

Trouble is no matter what options they decide they're going to price these trucks so ridiculously high that people will continue to buy an F150 or F250...and considering the ridiculous prices on F150's may as well just jump right into an F250 LOL.

Doofy

Supporting Member
U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
My credo
Shit Happens...Then You Die.
Amen! I only purchase "disposable" vehicles, these days. No payments and no depreciation. You can find well maintained rigs for a reasonable price. Check over thoroughly and maintain properly and stick all the money saved in the bank. The wife's and my liability insurance premiums run about $250 a year for 2 vehicles.

I have no one to impress at this stage of my life and would much rather save money for fun or important things. I will look the new rigs over and drool but will not buy.

adsm08

Senior Master Grease Monkey
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
I like simple engine controls, simple wiring systems, easy to work on, but I can't stand manual windows. I don't like the concept of automotive AC, so I like to run with both windows down. I HATE trying to get the passenger window up and down from the driver's side with manual windows.

Doofy

Supporting Member
U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
My credo
My Ass is to wide and my arms are to short to reach over to roll up the passenger window also. Not very many days I need those windows rolled down though. I did repair the A/C in the wife's Jeep just to prove to myself that I could.

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
On mine I find it is easier to pop the PS door open to talk out than it is to wrangle the window down from the pilot seat.

blksn8k

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
5.0L
Transmission
Automatic
Rumor has it that the North Amerixcan version will have a different interior than the global version(s) so I seriously doubt we will get manual anything.
The transmission choices could be a different story. The current global Ranger has both manual and auto transmissions with just about every engine option and I don't think that will change. That also means the parts will be there to do the same for us assuming those parts will work on whatever engines we get.
If Ford decides to cater to fleet sales there could be a stripper model with a non-turbo engine and six-speed manual trans but I wouldn't expect a manual trans in the higher end models or behind any gas turbo engines. Maybe behind a diesel if we get the same diesel as the global version.
One of the other factors that has to be considered is that every engine/transmission combination has to be EPA certified which is a very expensive process and if predicted sales volumes are not high enough to justify that expense it probably won't happen.

Last edited:

Flash Gordan

Savior of the Universe!!!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Automatic
While I would like to see a manual transmission option, I seriously doubt that it will happen. Multi speed automatics are getting better and better at conserving fuel. Almost better than the manual transmissions offered these days.

Doofy

Supporting Member
U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
My credo
In this new age of retarded criminals...the manual transmission was a great car theft deterrent. The fools don't know how to drive one. A sad end to an era.

don4331

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Sad end to an era it is Doofy.

Fleet operators don't want manuals - the kids these days can't drive them; they need to be automatics.

I do agree with it being a thief deterrent. Not one other kid in my daughter's home room in high school could drive a manual, 1 in 25.

All manual is, is a low price leader. And volumes which Ford foresees; the manual won't be cheaper as the numbers won't offset the cost of certification, so why bother.

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3.slow
Transmission
Automatic
My credo
To each his own.
Not gonna be a manual tranny at all. Autos are now more efficient.

wildbill23c

U.S. Military - Veteran
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Ham Radio Operator
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
Total Drop
Tire Size
215/70-R14
My credo
19K, 19D, 92Y, 88M, 91F....OIF-III (2004-2005)
Not gonna be a manual tranny at all. Autos are now more efficient.
I figured that as well. Although driving a manual transmission equipped vehicle seems be much more fun and enjoyable than turning a knob or moving a lever to D and taking off LOL.

Saw a small segment on the Price is Right this morning they were trying to give away a Ferrari but it had a 7 speed automatic transmission...well that's just no fun at all, in a sports car I'd expect a manual LOL. What fun is it to have a fast car if you are stuck with a slush box :(.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals