• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

v8 swap-electric shift problem

fordblue79

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Transmission
Automatic
2000 ranger 3.0 5spd 4x4 swapped a 99 mountaineer 5.0 auto. hate electrical probs,but not getting signal for lock up converter,assume truck missing a relay or something since originaly a stick.any help would be much appreciated,thanks

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Don't see any relay in that part of the system.
The trans solenoids get 12v when key is on, the computer Grounds each solenoid to activate it.

The computer has parameters that must be met for it to Ground a solenoid.
One of the main sensors it uses is the VSS(vehicle speed) on your '99 5.0l system the VSS signal would go to the 4wABS module then out to the computer, maybe that part didn't interface in wiring.

fordblue79

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Transmission
Automatic
thanks,like I said everything worked fine in both vehicles before swap.was mostly plug n play,even the o/d like works when push button.but I do have an abs lite on,cant recall if was on before swap,sometimes get to excited and dive in head first.figure gonna be something small I over looked.just wasn't sure if something missing from equation since truck was a standard

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
ABS light on could indicate no VSS signal present, and that would mean no VSS signal at computer and no TCC lockup.
Trans would still shift on internal pressure alone, and OD would work, but TCC has to unlock based on vehicle speed or engine would stall when you slow down and stop.
So no VSS signal at computer would default to no TCC lock up, so you could still drive the vehicle.

You would need wiring diagram for 2000 3.0l and the '99 5.0l.
'00 could have VSS direct to GEM, where it is corrected for tire size and axle ratio and then sent to speedo, cruise, ABS and computer
If memory serves, '99 would have VSS directly to ABS module where it is corrected for tire size and axle, then sent to speedo, cruise, and computer

Last edited:

fordblue79

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Transmission
Automatic
forgot to mention,speedo works,cruise even worked,but kinda surged in and out.overdrive switch worked,as far as cluster light goes,but no difference driving since wont go in 3rd.this is why I thought I should focus on the lock up converter circuit more than anything

fordblue79

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Transmission
Automatic
that's why I was wondering if a stock automatic would have a shift relay or a gem modual or something a stock ranger with a standard would'nt

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Read here: http://www.therangerstation.com/tech_library/speedometer.shtml

This part
"The 1998-2000 Rangers are not equipped with a VSS (Vehicle Speed Sensor). The PCM (Powertrain Control Module) receives vehicle speed information from the antilock brake system rear wheel speed sensor. The raw signal from the ABS/VSS sensor on the rear axle goes directly to the Explorer 4WABS module where the signal is corrected for tire diameter. Then the corrected signal is sent to the PCM, speed control, cluster, etc. In this system, the PCM is an end user of the corrected VSS signal."

'99 Mountaineer "should" be the same, should, being the key word.

Have you checked the fuse that powers the Shift Solenoids?
Should be in engine fuse box

fordblue79

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Transmission
Automatic
No,but will check in the morning, this is why Ford guys rull! buddy I appreciate it

fordblue79

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Transmission
Automatic
Being a stick truck fuses might not even be there,hope I didn't waste your time, I love nuts n bolts,not a fan of wires.have an 88 with a fuel 302,took me a month or two to wire up

fordblue79

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Transmission
Automatic
update....went to junkyard,pulled dash harness out of an automatic truck.aux relay box under middle of dash,has a relay my standard truck didn't,didnt even have wires going to spot where plugs in,gonna bet its a electric shift relay,cant find diagram online

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals