• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Modifications for Electric Fan

Rearanger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
I really only care about gas mileage,
Let us know how much your gas mileage improves. To evaluate properly you'd have to have kept track of long term mileage average before efan and now same long term mileage average with efan.

Elutheros

Supporting Member
U.S. Military - Veteran
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
I put an e-fan on my 94 Ranger 4.0 last year. Even on the hottest days, she ran cool and unless I was sitting still for more than 15 minutes in 100 degree heat, I never used the higher speed setting. I used a Volvo S70 fan/shroud and the Volvo relays. Less than $40 complete. I never got to installing the temp. sensors, but had some from a BMW that would do the job.

Here's how:
http://www.therangerstation.com/forums/showthread.php?t=112897

chrisclark88

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Yes mine does charge at idle fine with the lights off at idle, once the lights are turned on at idle I have a 1.5v dropped across the charging system and my lights are dimmer. So it my just be my alternator getting old, but with everything on if I am cruising down the road at 35 in 5th I have about .5v drop. And it really all depends on the fan you get your truck and what options came stock for your truck. What it really comes down to is the fan and the amps it pulls to start up and run. You can get a fan off summit racing and not have any problems. I got a two speed fan out of a ford taurus which requires more amps.

doorgunner

Lab Rat for V.A. hospital
U.S. Military - Veteran
V8 Engine Swap
MTOTM Winner
2009 Truck of The Year
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
New Orleans (8' below sea level & sinking)
Vehicle Year
1934/1989
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
350+1
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
N/A
Total Drop
3/4
Tire Size
23570R15
My credo
JESUS Loves Ya!
The efan I installed on my radiator works great.....until it hit's 95* & my wife turns the A/C on in traffic....

So...because of limited space--I relocated the A/C condenser & installed an Efan on it too ----also so the radiator won't be using the same hot air that the condenser released (again, limited space because of the grill design on the '36 body)

However, the 130 amp alternator is needed with both fans/electric windows/A.C./lectric wench/etc

Figuring in gained rpm---they save a tank of gas or two per year (every little bit adds up)

had to readjust the idle(it speeded up about 75 rpm from not having to spin the mechanical fan)

chrisclark88

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Filled up this morning did the install at half a tank was at 25 mpg. Previous fill ups were 21 through 23. All my mileage are combined driving.

Rearanger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Filled up this morning did the install at half a tank was at 25 mpg. Previous fill ups were 21 through 23. All my mileage are combined driving.
Good numbers if they hold. Not sure the 1/2 tank shows much accuracy as you'll need at least 10 tanks if driving the same route style, etc. How long/many tanks does the 21 through 23 represent? I average about 20 consistently and have been keeping records since new in 2003.

chrisclark88

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Ok so just for you I will post my gas mileage on here every month, and I'm sorry half a tank doesn't show accuracy for you. How about we do this you come to fort Leonard wood Missouri and get up at 4 am to come to work with me everyday, and we will be leaving everyday to head back at 5pm or 6pm. This way you can keep track of the mileage I drive everyday so that you can prove yourself wrong.

Also how is that conversion from electric fan to fan clutch working out? If you want to start a forum to disprove electric fans working do so. I will happily leave alone. This wasn't a forum asking whether or not they work just what I need to do to get one running. So go bother some fng about it I could care less about your damn opinion.

Rearanger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
If you want to start a forum to disprove electric fans working do so.
As I said, it's not that they don't work. It's about all the claims as to how well they work over a clutch fan. I may try one in the future when my clutch fan gives out, if I feel all the work and expense is worth the difference.

You had good opportunity to show us in some scientific way the issue of improved mileage, but I can see that you would much rather live with at least a certain amount of illusion than enlighten us with some verifiable facts. Half a tank of gas does not prove anything.

chrisclark88

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Well I'm not a scientist so I can't give scientific facts smart guy. But it is a fact that I got 25 mpg this last tank and did the install at half a tank. I was just informing people following this that plan on doing that I did see an increase from previous tanks to this tank, but you just seem to lack the common sense to take the information I have provided. Look you are mentally challenged it's fine and you can live with the illusion that I'm a scientist. I have no idea what your profession is but judging from your previous post it's not mechanical. You are probably a paper pusher, which I really don't care what you do or think. I am going to sleep the same tonight and drive my truck to work tomorrow just the same. So if you don't like my thread don't post on it, and go bother someone who thinks your opinion matters. Guess what highspeed it's not me. And don't forget to keep me informed on that conversion on the Camry, really interested on how that goes. Hahaha

McCormack

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
Don't let 'em get to you chris. A couple of years ago I did a couple of mods to my 3.0 Ranger and reported small but worthwhile power increases, and I was ridiculed by some of the book-learned internet "experts" on the forums who said that the mods I did couldn't possibly work and that I needed to dyno test my truck in order to prove to them that there was a power increase. Good grief. I mean most of us have owned our vehicles for a fairly long period of time and we've accelerated and decelerated them literally hundreds of thousands of times and know what the power characteristic of our vehicles feel like, so even if there's a small power increase anybody that's halfway awake is going to feel it, dyno tests be damned. I guess their books don't tell them that.

The book-learned experts on the forums do very little actual work to their own vehicles, which gives them time to spend on the internet telling those of us that do have actual personal experience with mods what we're doing wrong. (Rolls eyes.)

chrisclark88

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Yeah I'm just being my normal asshole self. I just wish I could be a scientist so I can get rereranger so I can get him his scientific facts. So scientific fact one I get 1 million miles per gallon and fact two my truck now goes back in time. Haha if only that was true. But I don't get worked up over retards that don't know what they are talking about or how their vehicles work, but they are experts on your vehicle handles and drives. Haha

Rearanger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Boy, your life must be awfully stressful to go off the deep end with such unfounded vitriolic comments. As to the "Hahaha", I'm not the one having to get up at 4am for a 12 hour shift and need to squeeze a 1 mile per gallon increase to pay the bills.

The book-learned experts on the forums do very little actual work to their own vehicles,
Been doing my own repairs and work on my vehicles for 35+ years. From oil changes to engine rebuild.

chrisclark88

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
That was 2+ mpg highspeed, and hahaha. By the way it's Sergeant not boy, and if you don't like my thread don't read it or post on it. 35+ years congrats and you still don't what you are taking about. You must feel great about yourself. Just too let you know you are the reason this thread went to shit.

mmaxwell

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Boy, your life must be awfully stressful to go off the deep end with such unfounded vitriolic comments. As to the "Hahaha", I'm not the one having to get up at 4am for a 12 hour shift and need to squeeze a 1 mile per gallon increase to pay the bills.

It is pretty clear that you never spent time in the military because 12 hour shifts are normal.

Been doing my own repairs and work on my vehicles for 35+ years. From oil changes to engine rebuild.
I don't think taking your car to Jiffy Lube qualifies as doing your own repairs.

McCormack

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
Good for you. But if you'll back and read my posts you'll see that that's not what I referencing... I was referencing those that haven't done a particular mod or repair for themselves and yet still feel the need to offer up expert advice. From what you've said you yourself haven't installed an e-fan on a 3.0 Ranger, and if you haven't, then why are you messing up this thread with all your negative comments?

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals