• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Fitting a hurst T shifter

4x4TILL_I_DIE

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ranger
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Is there any other way to get the shifter knob off other then a pair of vice grips and a really big hammer. :icon_confused: If I ever did do it all I would be thinking would be man I wonder what this it doing to my shifter rod or my transmission.

Ozwynn

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
RE Interceptor
Transmission
Manual
My credo
If you can't go through it or around it, then go over it.
should just turn, you may need to work it a bit.

cocoasranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
I don't know what's on one of them "newfangled" 96 Rangers, but on a 93 the shift knob is a force fit onto the shifter arm. The top of the arm has splines and the knob has a slightly undersized hole.The procedure for removing the knob is: first remove the shift emblem from the top by carefully prying off with a thin screw driver. Then heat the knob with a hair dryer of (preferably) a heat gun till it's too hot to grab tight. Then drive off the knob which should not take much force. This is because there is heat activated glue holding the knob as well as the press fit. Hope this helps.:icon_thumby:

4x4TILL_I_DIE

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ranger
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
thanks I'll try that when I get the hurst if I can just find out if it will fit or not.

gnardoom

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Engine Size
4L
Transmission
Manual
it wont fit because theres no threads, you have to weld a bolt to the end of your shifter, or if you dont have a welder you have to grind the shit out of your shifter until you can get a die on it and cut some threads. i put one of those t handles in my ranger when i was like 16 it was heavy and made the tranny whine because the weight of it makes your shifter fork rub harder then usual inside the trans. I think those are for automatics

The Jester Race

OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1987, 2009
Make / Model
Ford, BMW
Engine Size
2.9, 4.0
Transmission
Manual
What you could do(what I did), drill out the threads on the shift knob so it just slips onto the shifter rod and drill a hole through the side and thread it, and use a set screw to hold it on. Ill post some pics later.

-Jester

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals