• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Bronco 2 tank in a ranger?

David85

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
Has anyone ever replaced the rear fuel tank in a ranger with one from a bronco2?

We have an 87 ranger extra cab (diesel) that came from factory with dual tanks and the rear had rust issues. I'd rather replace it with a new one and places like rock auto carry them for the bronco. I'm just not sure how well it will fit a ranger frame.

RangerSVT

Oct 09 OTOTM
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
RBV's on Boost
ASE Certified Tech
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
GT-40 5.0L EFI W/AC
Transmission
Automatic
The B2 tanks are a little tall to fit into rangers, but can and have been done if you have a body lift...
SVT

David85

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
I don't suppose you can point me to any photos of such a setup? Body lift isn't an option but I wonder if its possible to hang the tank down a little to still get it to fit. I would really like to avoid dealing with a rusty tank even if it means having to make a few minor changes.

cammeddrz

Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford/chevy
Engine Size
efi 350vortec
Transmission
Manual
I don't suppose you can point me to any photos of such a setup? Body lift isn't an option but I wonder if its possible to hang the tank down a little to still get it to fit. I would really like to avoid dealing with a rusty tank even if it means having to make a few minor changes.
if you look closely a bII tank hangs well below the frame to begin with, i measured it a year ago and i think it was something like 13" but that was a long time ago

feellnfroggy

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Manual
Its larger than the ranger rear tank yes, SVT do you think he can do it with 1 or 1.5 inches of washers? (el cheapo BL) Im curious about doing hte same thing.

David85

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
After some searching I learned a few things here on TRS, other forums and the web at large. It seems the rear tanks on the rangers were rare even from factory and only offered for about 3 or 4 years in the late 80s. No aftermarket support at all from what I can tell so a used one is the only option for a replacement.

Concerns raised with the bronco II rear tank are not limited to the tank hanging down lower. According to others that have attempted the swap, the filler inlet is aimed right at one of the bed support beams so that would have to be cut somehow to gain the clearance. I wonder if thats what was meant by a body lift being required? Cross member mods might allow for the tank to be shifted forward or rearward to clear the support beam but at that point its more trouble than its worth.

An interesting option I did find was for an F350/F450 tank that one guy used with good results. Here is what he had to say about how and why he used one for his truck:

http://www.therangerstation.com/forums/showthread.php?t=67409

Post #6

Still involved sectioning one of the bed support beams though.....
Had I known this such a difficult problem, I would have tried to salvage the original tank.

Short of that I could just spend a few days rummaging through a wrecking yard until I find something that sort of fits. Think I'll put this one on the back burner again.

RangerSVT

Oct 09 OTOTM
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
RBV's on Boost
ASE Certified Tech
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
GT-40 5.0L EFI W/AC
Transmission
Automatic
Anything is possible, but I had the thought of moving the filler neck up towards the top of the tank, and riveting a blank (cover/filler panel) in place of the old location, and using tin snips to make a new mounting location. Also, if you make the filler neck in the floor of the bed, it should also simplify the install. I'm only making suggestions, as I have not yet attempted this, nor have I assisted in an installation.....Another suggestion would be to get a fuel cell (from summit racing or similar place) close to the dimensions of the framerail opening and make some mounts and go with this setup...
SVT

David85

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
I had toyed with the idea of moving the filler neck actually. I could probably solder or braze on what had to be done and the larger capacity would be an asset. The truck would probably have an 800 mile range on a good day with that setup.

I think what it will come down to eventually is going to a wrecker with the truck and trying to see how a B2 fuel tank can be made to fit. I have dual tanks in my diesel F250 and they are a wonderful feature.

I was really hoping the bronco 2 tank could fit without having to cut it because they can be found in plastic online. I can modify tin easily but not the plastic....not that I've ever tried mind you. Maybe a flange with a gasket could work as a patch/filler neck relocation...
Could also try asking a local plastics shop what they think since I think its just ABS which is pretty common in just about everything.

RangerSVT

Oct 09 OTOTM
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
RBV's on Boost
ASE Certified Tech
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
GT-40 5.0L EFI W/AC
Transmission
Automatic
I imagine you can just cut a section out, then silicone/rivet in place which would seal it....
SVT

adsm08

Senior Master Grease Monkey
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
B2 tank is the wrong size and configuration. It slings much lower, I think it may be a bit wider, and the filler neck is just all sorts of wrong.

I have heard that if you can find the 19 gallon between-the-rails style E-van tank that those work very well, but still are taller than the ranger tank, so you either need to BL the bed, or get longer straps.

RangerSVT

Oct 09 OTOTM
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
RBV's on Boost
ASE Certified Tech
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
GT-40 5.0L EFI W/AC
Transmission
Automatic
I know for a fact that the B2 tank will fit with minimal mods, as Bray D has done this swap, and has the build pics to prove it...It is possible, it just requires a little work to get it done, and done right
SVT

Last edited:

adsm08

Senior Master Grease Monkey
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
I know for a fact that the B2 tank will fit with minimal mods, as BradyD has done this swap, and has the build pics to prove it...It is possible, it just requires a little work to get it done, and done right
SVT
Got a write up with pics? still looking for and considering options for when I got to twin tanks.

RangerSVT

Oct 09 OTOTM
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
RBV's on Boost
ASE Certified Tech
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
GT-40 5.0L EFI W/AC
Transmission
Automatic
Okay, I stand corrected, kind of. Bray D used an 85 ranger tank from the dual tank option, he does know of a company that still manufactures them, so a PM to him will get you the website. He does state though that a B2 tank hangs down 9 inches give or take below the framerail...Here is his build thread
http://therangerstation.com/forums/showthread.php?t=12686
SVT

David85

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
Getting an original tank sounds great! I'll drop him a line and see what he can tell me.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

No members online now.

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals