• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Electric Fan Install

Harris

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3L
Transmission
Manual
I know there is an article in the tech section already, but I kinda just wanted some feedback on what you guys think about my install. I highly value your opinions on Ranger issues.

I was at the junkyard Monday getting in some much-needed shopping when I figured an electric fan would maybe help add a little horsepower to my '94 Ranger. The little 2.3L needs all the help it can get, plus a little added fuel efficiency wouldn't hurt either. Anyway, I measured my radiator and struck out looking for something close.

I found a 2002 Pontiac Montana with a fan that looked pretty close to what I needed so I pulled it. I checked to see if it worked and gave the junkyard owner $8.00 for it. If you do decide to get one like I did, make sure you remember to get the snap-together coupler with the wires, too.
http://s268.photobucket.com/albums/jj33/harris3810/?action=view&current=SlightlyUsedElectricFan.jpg

I pulled the old fan/clutch assembly out, along with that aggravating fan shroud.
http://s268.photobucket.com/albums/jj33/harris3810/?action=view&current=OldBelt-DrivenFan.jpg

To my amazement, when I lowered the fan into place behind the radiator it was a near perfect fit. After cleaning the fan and its housing with Bleach-White and a brush I gave it a good shot of Turtle Wax Ice to make it look a little better.
I used longer-than-original bolts to hold the top and bottom in and a 1/2 inch PVC coupling sawed in half and painted red to conceal the gap from where the fan didn't mount exactly flush.
I also painted the metal cover over the fan motor red. Go Dawgs!

Now that the easy part was over it was time to wire it up. There was a good grounding spot right next to the top of the radiator on the driver's side, so I used that. I ran a good 10 gauge wire around the battery and to the power distribution box. A relay from an F-150 came in handy and everything tucked nicely into the box. Since I did not have a thermostat switch I simply wired it up to run when the key is on. To remedy any future problems I put a small unobtrusive switch in the cab so I can turn the fan off if I need to. The wires going to the switch can easily be re-routed through a temperature switch when I get one, but so far it's working fine.
Fan: $8.00
Misc. Electrical Stuff: $3.00
(Most of this I had laying around. If you went out specifically to buy the electrical items you could expect to pay around $10-14.00.)
Paint: $4.44
PVC Coupling: $.21
Time: About 2 hours. Next time I could do it in one.

http://s268.photobucket.com/albums/jj33/harris3810/?action=view&current=ElectricFanCleanedandInstalled2.jpg

Maybe someone can learn something from this post or someone can offer me some advice on how to do it better next time.

gotmudd

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD
Engine Size
390C.I
Transmission
Automatic
i learned from experience that you will need to put in themostatic fan relay otherwise engine will run too cold and you will build excess carbon. you can get relay at shucks auto supply @35.00 dollars, takes @ 15min to install

Harris

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3L
Transmission
Manual
That's interesting that you bring that up. I have noticed that my original fan ran all the time and the needle on the gauge never got above the N in Normal. With this electric fan it now sits on the O in Normal. I do intend to put a temperature switch in, though. (I am a college student, so it may take a week or two to get the switch.)

gotmudd

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD
Engine Size
390C.I
Transmission
Automatic
did a conversion on a '78 camaro, before putting in switch it ran like a pig cuz the thermostat wouldn't get to temp, put in switch and it runs like a champ, 22mpg highway, not bad for a 350chevy w/edelbrock 4bbl

Harris

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3L
Transmission
Manual
Sorry to bring this thread back to the top but I wanted to report on how my 2.3L is doing after three weeks with the electric fan. Before the fan, (and no other changes) it was getting about 19.8 mpg consistently. (I know that's kinda low, but I'm working on it...) My first refill after all in-town driving came out to 20.8 mpg and I refueled yesterday after 280 highway miles and it was at 21.9 mpg.

So far I will claim that just the fan has given a 1.5 mpg or 7.6% increase in efficiency. I am not saying this is the best setup, but so far I am content with the improvement.

Now I just need a new cat and I'll see what that does. If I can get to 24-25 mpg I'll be pretty satisfied.

Bob Ayers

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Transmission
Automatic
Sorry to bring this thread back to the top but I wanted to report on how my 2.3L is doing after three weeks with the electric fan. Before the fan, (and no other changes) it was getting about 19.8 mpg consistently. (I know that's kinda low, but I'm working on it...) My first refill after all in-town driving came out to 20.8 mpg and I refueled yesterday after 280 highway miles and it was at 21.9 mpg.

So far I will claim that just the fan has given a 1.5 mpg or 7.6% increase in efficiency. I am not saying this is the best setup, but so far I am content with the improvement.

Now I just need a new cat and I'll see what that does. If I can get to 24-25 mpg I'll be pretty satisfied.
Your engine running hotter is the reason for your increase in MPG!

Harris

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3L
Transmission
Manual
Maybe that's all it is. I am still satisfied with the change.

mjonesjr

I dance with the Devil...
Firefighter
Forum Staff - Retired
Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
Your engine running hotter is the reason for your increase in MPG!
dude you are stupid.....engines DO NOT run hotter w/ efans.....it has been proven time and time again.....

milage increases is because there is less drag on an engine.....a hotter engine will get worse fuel milage....

STOP GIVING FALSE INFORMATION Bob.....did your parents have any kids who had common sense?

Harris

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3L
Transmission
Manual
Well, mjones, when I first installed the fan the temp gauge went from below the N in NORMAL to almost the O, but since then I have blown the radiator out with an air hose and flushed the system, so for the last 2 1/2 weeks the needle has stayed where it always was. Also, I have heard that a warmer engine is more efficient regarding fuel usage but a cooler one will have a longer life. I don't know, it's just what I have always heard. I do feel that for my application purposes thus far the electric fan has been a positive addition. If my alternator fails and I am stuck in a parking lot next week I may change my mind...

I will ask, however, that you please not call someone stupid or false on the thread I started. I simply wanted to gather information and hopefully help someone else who may be looking into this modification. If you do disagree on with a post there are more adult ways to express the dissenting opinion you may have without being quite as coarse.

mjonesjr

I dance with the Devil...
Firefighter
Forum Staff - Retired
Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
sounds like you had something blocking the radiator is the reason that it read different....

it takes course words to get through to Bob....he isn't all there....

Bob Ayers

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Transmission
Automatic
dude you are stupid.....engines DO NOT run hotter w/ efans.....it has been proven time and time again.....

milage increases is because there is less drag on an engine.....a hotter engine will get worse fuel milage....

STOP GIVING FALSE INFORMATION Bob.....did your parents have any kids who had common sense?

You need to re-read the OP's posts....because he does say his temp gauge is running hotter with the e-fan. WRONG about a hotter engine, the way modern EFI works, it will lean the mixture the hotter the engine gets!

And, for F.Y.I. an e-fan has less cooling capacity than a mechanical fan/clutch

Bob Ayers

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Transmission
Automatic
Well, mjones, when I first installed the fan the temp gauge went from below the N in NORMAL to almost the O, but since then I have blown the radiator out with an air hose and flushed the system, so for the last 2 1/2 weeks the needle has stayed where it always was. Also, I have heard that a warmer engine is more efficient regarding fuel usage but a cooler one will have a longer life. I don't know, it's just what I have always heard. I do feel that for my application purposes thus far the electric fan has been a positive addition. If my alternator fails and I am stuck in a parking lot next week I may change my mind...

I will ask, however, that you please not call someone stupid or false on the thread I started. I simply wanted to gather information and hopefully help someone else who may be looking into this modification. If you do disagree on with a post there are more adult ways to express the dissenting opinion you may have without being quite as coarse.
You are correct Harris! You will get better MPG with a hotter engine, and there will also be less wear.

gotmudd

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD
Engine Size
390C.I
Transmission
Automatic

engines are designed to run within certain heat ranges, therefore if you run above the recommendations you will burn up your rings [been there] if you run below the recommendations you will build carbon and eventually lose power. THAT is why electric fans have thermostatic switches, to keep your engine at the temp. it was designed to run at. as mjones said less drag=better economy:D

Harris

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3L
Transmission
Manual
I think the issue has been exhausted on this thread. I will perhaps update it during the summer months where the electric fan will get it's true test in the south Georgia heat. You can expect an honest evaluation of the electric fan as I would not purposefully mislead any TRS readers. I will say that, as of three weeks in, I am satisfied with the fan and it is performing better than I hoped. It was just a little project that could occupy me on my day off.

To gotmudd: As far as the temp gauge goes, the fan did let it get a little hotter than the original, but only between the N and O in NORMAL. I remember ten years ago thinking, "Does the temp gauge even work on this truck?" I put a piece of cardboard over the radiator and drove around for a few miles before it even moved, so it has always stayed quite cool. In January I Sea-Foamed the hell out of it but some parts, like the EGR valve, were clean as a whistle. I guess it's one of those, "If it ain't broke," kind of situations.

Last edited:

Jim Oaks

Just some guy with a website
Administrator
Founder / Site Owner
Supporting Vendor
Article Contributor
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1996 / 2021
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0 / 2.3 Ecoboost
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
6-inches
Tire Size
33x12.50x15

Knock it off. There's no reason for name calling.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals