• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Hello! From Scotland

thebigmac

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Hi Y'all! I guess most folk here are from 'Murica but I joined up since I just bought an american import '87 ranger, 2.9 V6 manual, 4x2. already an owner of the UK ranger from 2006 but I understand that they are completely unrelated vehicles that just happen to share the name (and be pickup trucks)... that's a 2.5 turbo diesel. ANYWAY! I'm here for the sake of my american one! so it's very much a fixer-upper of a vehicle, and look forward to the challenge and browsing here for ideas and hints!

Paul

from Sunny Scotland

Doofy

Supporting Member
U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
My credo
Shit Happens...Then You Die.
Welcome! You came to the right place, lots of knowledgeable folks here willing to share.

alwaysFlOoReD

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'91, '80, '06
Make / Model
Ford, GMC,Dodge
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Welcome.
Check out the "how to tech" section at the top of every page. It has most answers you need and the members here can help with any other questions.

PS pics are always appreciated....

thebigmac

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
I'll take my own pics once it arrives... getting it delivered from the opposite end of the country next week :D

adsm08

Senior Master Grease Monkey
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
Make sure to make a thorough search of the vehicle for old screw drivers and potato peelers that may have been left there by a previous owner before taking it for a drive.

You don't want any trouble with the police.

Jim Oaks

Just some guy with a website
Administrator
Founder / Site Owner
Supporting Vendor
Article Contributor
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1996 / 2021
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0 / 2.3 Ecoboost
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
6-inches
Tire Size
33x12.50x15
Welcome aboard!

adsm08

Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15

Elutheros

Supporting Member
U.S. Military - Veteran
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Welcome--I sure miss visiting Scotland! We made it a yearly practice to stay at the navy base near Glasgow and explore the beauty of your country.

thebigmac

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
adsm, you do realise that we're actually fine to carry shotguns and rifles with a license (for which I have both.. and isn't difficult to obtain) and that hunting brings in a shitload of tourism to scotland? not sure where this idea that everything that's possibly considered a weapon is banned comes from.

but aye, that weather pic is pretty much bang on. at a stretch, the summer will maybe string itself out for about a week :D

Elutheros, I guess that would be Faslane base? I used to go fishing around the sea lochs (salt water lakes or fjords to non Scots I guess) around there :) it is nice up that way. I'm from Glasgow myself which is a bit rough and ropey but out in the hills or on the water is the place to be :)

pjtoledo

Supporting Member
U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Fords
Engine Size
3.0 2.3
I'll skip the jokes about skirts and get straight to something serious, how are your pipes?

adsm08

Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
not sure where this idea that everything that's possibly considered a weapon is banned comes from.
Literally the only news stories I have heard from the island of Great Britain in about a month have been about people getting arrested for carrying common household items that are vaguely pointy, and Alfie Evans.

Jim Oaks

Just some guy with a website
Administrator
Founder / Site Owner
Supporting Vendor
Article Contributor
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1996 / 2021
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0 / 2.3 Ecoboost
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
6-inches
Tire Size
33x12.50x15
I couldn't resist the weather joke. He says he's from from Sunny Scotland. He obviously has a sense of humor.

thebigmac

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Scotland (city of Glasgow in particular) has a history of knife violence so they brought out this bullshit stop and search policy (terrorism act or something). people only get arrested for carrying IF they don't have a reasonable excuse... like if I'm going fishing, carrying a knife is normal. going clothes shopping, I would likely not need a hunting knife so it *could* be considered a weapon. but in general, stuff like that doesn't really go on. And in Scotland, we're a bit different from the English (most american references to "brits" are english)
I assume the media likes to sensationalise it so you guys think we can't buy an egg whisk without a psychiatric evaluation... just like the media here would have us believe that shooting up schools is a right of passage over there.
but like I say, we shoot, we fish, and have plenty of screwdrivers and potato peelers... our big difference in terms of shooting is, you guys can buy a firearm purely cause it's your right... we can only buy one if we can prove we take part in a shooting activity (home defense isn't a valid reason... and I'll wholly admit that you guys 234897% win on that one)
anyway's enough about our cultural differences and more about trucks :D

but this might give you a laugh anyway (and it would make me laugh if it didn't apply to me) - Scotland (and soon to be UK wide) brought in a licensing system for air rifles and pistols. and it cost the equivalent of $110 to apply for it. same price as applying for shotgun or rifle!

cheers Jim! when you stay in a place with shite weather like here, you gotta learn to laugh at it! genuinely, 10 degrees is beach weather here in spring (you guys work in degrees F? so maybe about 55-ish?) we don't tan well either... we kinda just burn when/if the sun comes out :D
that said, it's actually sunny today and I'm going out to look at a new boat with the intention of buying! catch y'all later

and for the record, my skirt and pipes are in great working order ;)

bobbywalter

TRS Technical Staff
TRS Event Staff
V8 Engine Swap
TRS Technical Advisor
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Ugly Truck of Month
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD mostly
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
BIGGER
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
sawzall?
Tire Size
33-44
My credo
it is easier to fix and understand than "her"
how do you like your 2.5 diesel in the 06 model?

we dont know shit about those here.

i suspect you will have more access to hotrod cologne parts for the 2.9 then we do as well over here.

we tend to replace them with some sort of ridiculous powerplant when they need attention.... or at least i do.:D

thebigmac

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
the 2.5 is a decent lump. It's a Mazda WLT engine, inline 4, turbodiesel. I've towed up to 3 tons with it and carry 1.1 ton in the bed of it. due to the licensing system in this country with regards to driving, 3.5 tons is the max trailer weight on a car license... otherwise you gotta add a light goods category to it.
anyway, I've tweaked the fueling and boost, done a 2 inch body lift and 2 inch suspension lift and put 15 inch steel rims with 33 inch BFgoodrich all terrains. limited slip back differential, and selectable 4x4 with hi and lo box, and it's got remote freewheel front hubs instead of the manual selector things in the middle of the hub.
engine wise, it's very reliable, even if it's a bit simple and rough. got it straight piped as well so it makes a nice racket

a mate of mine has the 3.2 ranger.. last year's model. I believe you guys are getting it either next year or even this year (with different engine option) and that's a great truck. unfortunately got reliability issues you guys will probably not have that particular engine option (from what I've read)
modern diesel is becoming a bit of a pain with this regen crap, and DPFs

one bit of advice I've had here is to swap out my 2.9 cologne for the 2.9 cosworth engine... they're more readily available because the cologne wasn't used much here compared to the cosworth... directly interchangable and chucks out 200 horses from the get-go. same lump I'm led to believe, but a 24 valve with different fuel system. I'm torn between that and a 4.0 v6!

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals