• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Gen. 1 seat track bolt to 2 gen floor?

Kodah

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Transmission
Manual
Will gen 1 ranger seats go into a gen 2 with no modfication any help much apperiate

Koda.

Last edited:

snoopjonnyjon

01/2013 STOTM Winner
V8 Engine Swap
MTOTM Winner
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
I put a Gen 1 bench in my Gen 2 that originally had buckets. The front required adapters to be made as the angle was wrong, and the rear needed new holes as well. In short, nothing lines up.

kunar

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
5.8l
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
I put a Gen 1 bench in my Gen 2 that originally had buckets. The front required adapters to be made as the angle was wrong, and the rear needed new holes as well. In short, nothing lines up.
i cant imagine they would be different, the cabs are nearly identical. they are different from regular cab to extended cab though, was that your problem? i would think that as long as the cab style is the same, 1st and 2nd gen seat tracks are the same...

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.8L v6
Transmission
Manual
If this helps...

I put a set of second gen bronco II seats into a first gen bronco II. The front seats almost lined up perfectly, if I remember correctly we had to drill two holes through the floor for the seat track to work on the drivers side. Possibly the same for the passenger as well, ( this was 5+ years ago so I'm a little foggy ). But in reverse it should work for you with only minor adjustments...in theory...

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Will gen 1 ranger seats go into a gen 2 with no modfication any help much apperiate

Koda.
Pending cab differences they will bolt right in.

I have second generation Ranger brackets in my first that had a bench, I had to drill the four inner holes but they were even premarked by Ford.

Mark_88

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Dordge
Engine Size
3.3 Fuel Injected
Transmission
Automatic
My credo
Love Thy Neighbor
I recently took buckets from a 92 Explorer (similar to a 92 Ranger) and they bolted right in to my 88 Ranger...absolutely perfect fit...

So, yeah, they should work if the cabs are the same (regular vs extended)...

I know when I had the regular cab 88 with a bench seat I had to do some slight mods on both sides to get bucket brackets from an extended cab to fit...but it worked...

I'd suggest using grade 9 bolts regardless...and if you have to drill holes...you might want to weld some washers or other support material around the holes if it is not pre-drilled or otherwise supported by extra metal.

Even a strip of angle iron might work between the rear bolts though...just some extra metal to stop it from ripping through the floor boards in case of an accident...

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I don't know if using a real hard bolt is a great idea. They are stronger overall but are more brittle and break easier with a sharp impact... which is what a bolt will go through in an accident.

Unless Mark is talking about a Metric grade 9.whatever which is between a standard grade 5 and 8. I wouldn't go any harder than a standard grade 8 and an 8 is plenty hard.

You don't need to weld the washers in, they won't go anywhere unless the bolt breaks.

Mark_88

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Dordge
Engine Size
3.3 Fuel Injected
Transmission
Automatic
My credo
Love Thy Neighbor
Ah, yes, grade 8...sorry...not sure where I got grade 9 from other than high school...

Grade 8 is the law in Canada for seat bolts...I checked that one with a few sources because the lesser grade were less expensive to buy...but the stronger bolts stand up better to the sheer forces during an impact...from what I was told by a guy at Brafasco (bolt manufacturers in Canada).

I think I did read somewhere recently that grade 8 bolts were actually less strong in terms of sheer force but don't remember who posted a link to some website...something about a hoist and using a bolt to secure the chain...

snoopjonnyjon

01/2013 STOTM Winner
V8 Engine Swap
MTOTM Winner
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
i cant imagine they would be different, the cabs are nearly identical. they are different from regular cab to extended cab though, was that your problem? i would think that as long as the cab style is the same, 1st and 2nd gen seat tracks are the same...
Both were regular cabs. Bench seat from an 83 going into a 92.

Found another reference to it.

http://www.therangerstation.com/forums/showthread.php?t=5487

Last edited:

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
My second generation seats bolted into my first generation without issue at all. I had to drill the four inside holes but otherwise they pretty much dropped in.

snoopjonnyjon

01/2013 STOTM Winner
V8 Engine Swap
MTOTM Winner
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
This pic shows the added crossmember stuck on top of the Gen 2 floor:

Early trucks did not have this, but I don't know how early they changed.

Maybe the change happened midway through Gen I?

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Neither my truck or the second gen I pulled the seats out of had that...

I wish I would have checked the year but the donar was a beat down stock blue 4cyl, 2wd shortbox truck with a trashed blue interior and nasty 60/40 seats. It had the 2nd generation nose, dash and the tall shift boot... it seems unlikely somebody would change all that on that kind of a truck if it was originally a first generation. It was the only standard cab pre third gen truck I could find in two yards so I scalped those brackets and a set of Explorer buckets, now it has EB BII buckets.

Last edited:

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals