• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

recomendation for a towing setup for a travel trailer

soloz008

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
My credo
be honest, study, and work hard to get what you deserve
I'd like to find the best setup for towing a travel trailer. I have a 1994 Ranger Splash, with a 5.0 and original AODE transmission with a racing valve body from a 1995 Mustang. Its all stock other than the custom X-pipe and dual turn down flowmaster exhausts. Its a short setup ending before the bed. And also she has an aftermarket air intake that im going to replace.

She still has the original rear end from the 4.0 that i want to replace for something that will throw the power of that engine to the ground. Im open for suggestions.

I also want to replace the rear suspension for a load bearing air ride suspension. Not for show.

And an aftermarket hitch that bolts to the chassis.

alwaysFlOoReD

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'91, '80, '06
Make / Model
Ford, GMC,Dodge
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
AFAIK the f150's of the same era had the 8.8" and have no problems with towing.
I'd like to find the best setup for towing a travel trailer
will throw the power of that engine to the ground
For towing;
You need to figure out the best rpm at what cruise rpm and tire size and then get the gear ratio that is appropriate. A frame mounted hitch is best and an equalizer bar set-up would really help. I would use air bags to help the stock suspension [leafs], then you can tune ride height with the bags when loaded.
For racing;
You need to figure out the rpm at the end of the 1/4 and select gears for that.
For both;
somewhere in between.

Richard

Ozwynn

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
RE Interceptor
Transmission
Manual
My credo
If you can't go through it or around it, then go over it.
A shortbed short cab Ranger with a V8, and a totally wrong valve body.... not what I would use for towing a travel trailer over 19 feet or 2000 pounds

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
AFAIK the f150's of the same era had the 8.8" and have no problems with towing.
28 spline vs 31 spline though. The 28 spline 4.0 Ranger 8.8's were a mix and match of a 7.5 and a 8.8.

gw33gp

U.S. Military - Veteran
TRS Banner 2010-2011
Ham Radio Operator
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
33"
I just use air bags with my stock suspension. I have a 31 spline 8.8 rear differential. That means it has larger wheel bearing which probably helps bearing durability but I doubt the 31 spline is that much stronger than the 28 spline for towing. I have a 4.10 gear ratio and that is in combination with 31" tires.

That works great with my 4.0 SOHC engine powering it. I tow my race car in a low profile, enclosed trailer all over the country. The combined trailer weight is around 3500 lbs and I carry about 800 lbs of stuff on the bed.

I like the air bags because I can adjust the pressure depending on how much weight is on the rear, to keep it fairly level. Air bags do need to be replaced periodically but usually have at least a 10 year life if they are taken care of properly. Once you have the complete mounting kit, replacement bags are not that expensive. I usually carry a spare bag when towing long distances just in case there is a problem. I blew one out once when hitting a big pot hole at high speed.

A very important requirement is trailer brakes and good controller.

Last edited:

soloz008

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
My credo
be honest, study, and work hard to get what you deserve
I was considering the 8.8 from an Explorer, for the fact that it has disk brakes
I will also swap the tranny for a 5 speed because the AODE has been rebuilt twice. It wasn't shifting properly

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I just use air bags with my stock suspension. I have a 31 spline 8.8 rear differential. That means it has larger wheel bearing which probably helps bearing durability but I doubt the 31 spline is that much stronger than the 28 spline for towing. I have a 4.10 gear ratio and that is in combination with 31" tires.
The wheel bearings and axleshafts are what carries the load... and what is improved over the 28 spline version.

alwaysFlOoReD

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'91, '80, '06
Make / Model
Ford, GMC,Dodge
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
The load shouldn't be more than 500lbs. At least that is what the max tongue weight is on most medium duty receivers and the max recommended on most trucks for towing. IMO the bearings will not be a factor. Same with brakes as long as all the trailer axles have brakes. The short wheel base could be a problem, especially in a cross wind. It really depends on the trailer and driver skills. I probably wouldn't do a long trip with a 20 foot travel trailer but would drive 20 miles to the lake with a boat.
You need to make sure that you have at least 10% of the trailer weight on the tongue or the trailer is going to be doing the duck waddle, and that can be scary at speed.

Richard

Last edited:

Ozwynn

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
RE Interceptor
Transmission
Manual
My credo
If you can't go through it or around it, then go over it.
aside from the wheelbase I would be concerned with a totally wrong transmission. Trucks built for racing are not good choices for towing..... unless your last name is Banks.

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
The load shouldn't be more than 500lbs. At least that is what the max tongue weight is on most medium duty receivers and the max recommended on most trucks for towing.
That is just the tongue weight, the overall load will vary from truck to truck.

About the axleshafts and whatnot, I was just saying that the 28 spline 8.8 has most of the worst parts of a 7.5 and doesn't have a whole lot in common with a 31 spline in a F-150.

For a stockish 302 an Explorer 8.8 is a great option. :icon_thumby:

alwaysFlOoReD

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'91, '80, '06
Make / Model
Ford, GMC,Dodge
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
I'm no expert by any means and I may not be thinking this through all the way. Tongue weight is what I'm talking about in regards to the static load on the truck. The trailer brakes should absorb loads on deceleration. The tail wagging the dog is, I think, the real concern. That and lack of experience....but the only way to get experience is do it. BUT, I have learned throughout my life that there can be unforeseen consequences when doing the unusual [going against the grain] and a different point of view is a really good idea.

ALSO...the OP mentions he wants to change both the rear end and suspension. That would solve the 7.5" problem but still leave the tail wagging the dog problem.

I think we need more info about trailer size and weight planned before being able to give any specific advise.

I've towed a 7x14 enclosed with all my tools inside with my 4.0 b-II. It wasn't bad but it was fairly short distances and I traveled back roads and kept it under 100 km/h [60 mph]. The real problem is if I had to do a emergency maneuver. It was when my regular work truck was down. I wouldn't recommend it on a regular basis. And your insurance company would deny your claim if you're overloaded, possibly leaving you paying for life ie; someone made into a paraplegic.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals