• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

towing my ranger.

Edgefevah

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Manual
I own two rangers 1 being my daily driver and the other being my project to fix and sell.

my daily driver is a 4x4 manual tranny regular cab 4.0L. has a class 2 hitch receiver.

the fixer upper is a 2001 ford ranger edge extended cab.

what are the possibilities of a guy towing the EDGE 700km with the daily driver? with a car dolly? I know I will have to watch my speed and drive smartly as well as coast to a stop so i don't burn up the brakes or tranny.

Any thoughts gents?

Earl43P

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford F250 4WD
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Doable if you take care.

I'd recommend removing the towed Ranger's rear drive shaft (12mm bolts - heat them with a torch first to loosen up the Loc-tite).

I towed a 99 Explorer from NJ to NC with my 2000 3.0 4WD manual trans, 4.10s.

Try to anticipate stops/lights with engine braking/decel.
When starting from a stop, ease the clutch out at just above idle with minimal slippage. Once it gets rolling, let off the gas, let the clutch fully engage and then accelerate. Try to minimize the slippage on the clutch is what I'm getting at.

Another thing to be careful of is turning at intersections. I had some rain and the wet oil slick made my LS rear axle break loose several times from the torque and angle. I was quick about grabbing the 4Hi switch in those situations and saving a dramatic jack-knife or two.

I recommend that you completely forget about having 5th gear.

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
I would first check the price for a car transport company to haul it.
Car doesn't need to run, they winch them on and off.

Biggest saving is if you don't have a specific "need it by" date, which it doesn't sound like you do, so a car hauler can add it to 1 car shy full load over the next few weeks.

Point to point is also less money, i.e. if they are dropping a few cars off at a local car dealer they drop off yours there as well and you tow it home from there, but door to door is offered as well.

Get a few quotes and then price out your time, gas and extra insurance, I believe if you tow a vehicle on a dolly is has to have plates/insurance, if it's on a car trailer, no wheels on the road, you don't.

Also check your insurance for towing, you will probably be over the towing capacity for a Ranger with manual trans, and, heaven forbid, if something should happen your insurance company could leave you "holding the bag" for all costs.

i.e. "just because you can do something doesn't mean you may do something", lol

Last edited:

Will

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Toyota
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
If it doesn't have a manual shift 4x4 t-case the driveshaft has to be disconnected at the axle and then tied up against the bottom of the truck. A 12mm 12-point combination wrench (might be wrong--bring the set) and a little ball peen for some impact action will get it loose. I keep rolls of black tape around for these things, tape the shaft up with a half dozen passes around a frame rail. I use black tape to secure the ends of ratchet straps and also to keep my teenagers chaste. It's really good stuff.

skyhighranger

Reaction score
Transmission
Manual
Seems like you have the right idea with the coasting
To a stop and braking a while before redlights and stuff
But with car dollys your pulling truck has to be
750lbs heavier than the one your pulling.

Make sure to use your lights and cross your chains! :icon_thumby:

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals