• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Empty bolt-holes in bellhousing?

cape_royds

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3 L
Transmission
Automatic
Looking underneath my truck (2011 std cab base model 2.3L auto) the other day, I noticed that there were a couple of empty threaded holes in the bellhousing. I have attached a photo.

Are those holes meant to be left w/o bolts?

I tried looking for online images of the underside of a Ranger to get an idea of what it's supposed to look like, but I couldn't seem to find anything. So I figured I would ask here.

Attachments

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
There may have been a bracket there, but if they are threaded then there should be bolts in them.
Some bell housings have empty dowel holes, for proper lineup, but they are not threaded

adsm08

Senior Master Grease Monkey
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
It's possible that there were brackets there on a previous year. The 5R44E trans in your truck has been around for over 10 years. Sometimes certain peripheral parts (lines, brackets, wiring) have their routing changed or are deleted altogether but if the major components (engine, trans, axle) aren't redesigned things like threaded holes that were there to accommodate those parts are just left be.

Also, sometimes threaded holes for things on the front of the bell housing (inspection covers and the like) go the whole way through even though the bolts don't.

If the trans has never been out I wouldn't worry about it too much.

Last edited:

stegomon

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1987/1990
Make / Model
fords and only
Transmission
Manual
maybe for the assembly process. kinda like the lift points on a 2.9. some times the hoops are there and sometimes not

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals