• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Planning my V8 swap

Harleydude

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Hello all, I have a 1995 ford ranger extended cab splash 2 wheel drive 5 speed. I have had this truck for a long time now and have always wanted to do a v8 swap. I have a running 1998 v8 ford explorer 2 wheel drive I plan to use for the swap. The explorer I believe has the 4r70w transmission that will have to be rebuilt or replaced. My ultimate goal is to have a v8 automatic ranger that sounds awesome and would make a good daily driver. Don't have any plans to race but maybe tow a small trailer with a lawn mower or side by side every once in a while. Most of my driving will be at 65-75 mph. I have a few questions I was hoping some of you who have done this swap could help me with. Is the 98 explorer donor going to be a problem? If so, what would be the problems? Due to the mileage on the motor I plan on doing a basic rebuild, bearings/seals/rings etc. But would also like to put in a mild cam, mostly for sound but what do you guys think would be a good cam for this swap and my intended use? As usual in my case the budget is small but I feel like I have most of the parts needed for the swap already. Motor-transmission-wireing harness and computer-steering column, gauge cluster-explorer rear axle-explorer seats maybe? Am I missing anything?

Mac

Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual

Harleydude

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals