• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

351w vs 302?

92ranger18

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Stock 302
Transmission
Automatic
I have a 351w and 302 that both run and was wondering with would be better to put in my ranger with a 5 speed transmission. In the mean time i will save up and build a stroker out of the other motor. What do you guys think?

adsm08

Senior Master Grease Monkey
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
302 fits better. I would use it as the one you are going to leave in it for good.

92ranger18

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Stock 302
Transmission
Automatic
I kow the 302 will fit better, and the 351 has potential to produce big cubes. And what ever i put in now will just be a street truck to terrorize the town in. And when i build the stroker it will be a strip only truck, with boxed frame and a back half with four link or ladder bars and narrowed rear end and full spec roll cage for what ever class i deside to run. I guess the real question is what to use o build the stroker with? Thanks for all the sugestions guys keep'em comin.

Broncojumper87

Article Contributor
U.S. Military - Active
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
2.3 EcoBoost
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
I say it depends on how much power you want to make. I personally wouldn't waste money on the 302 if you want to make more then 500 hp but I wouldn't waste money on a 351 unless it was an early block not that you can't make power with a later block but the ery ones are way stronger.

projectnitemare

V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
396W
Transmission
Manual
It really does depend on the power you want to make and how much effort you want to put into it. Once you get around 500hp it will be logical to use a 351 and I will also agree the earlier blocks are better for this. As far as putting a 351 in there really isn't much difference over a 302, same mounts will work. The big difference is due to the taller deck. The valve covers get are close to the brake booster and headers are a pain and usually end up being custom.

kimcrwbr1

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
2.8l
Transmission
Automatic
Put the 302 in your truck and put the 351 in another truck that way when the 351 pukes you still have a dependable truck.

Grunizzle

01/2013 OTOTM Winner
U.S. Military - Active
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L V-6
Transmission
Manual
Build the bigger motor. Seems like a no brainer to me. No replacement for displacement they always say. And then put that in the ranger.

92ranger18

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Stock 302
Transmission
Automatic
This is not a daily driver truck i have another truck for that, i just did the v8 swap for the fun and experience. Ive thought about it and im gonna put the 302 in for now. And i had planned on putting a manual brake master cylinder in it to save a little room for the taller deck and headers. When i do it i also planned on cutting the firewall and moving the motor back some for better weight distribution. Would this be a good idea if so how much? And making headers is no problem ive got access to pipe bender and welder.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals