• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

97 ranger 302 swap questions and help needed

Tbundy_04

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Ok i have a lifted ranger, that originally had the lil 4cyl and 5 speed, i know the basics of what i need to do, but i need help, a little guidance, i have the 302 and the c4 trans. The motor is mounted but im in the process of moving the cross member for the trans mount... Ill post pics of what i have so far tomorrow. But what i would like to know is what options do i have, i really almost want to gut the entire truck of all wiring but im nervous about doing that because of the running lights, brake lights, radio, fuel pump etc i chose the carbureted 302 basically because of the simplicity, im going to use the stock fuel pump and just use a fuel pressure regulator , but should i be able to use the stock fuel lines or should i start from scratch, and how do i wire in the distributor coil and what not, i basically want to be able to turn key and have the truck running woth the least amount of wiring but yet keep most of everything working... This is a short list of my questions, but my current issues

Tbundy_04

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
New motor in... Ill post more pics later

Attachments

shane96ranger

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1997 / 1989
Make / Model
Ford F150-Stang
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
4.6 Triton / 5.0
What heads are those?

dangerranger83

5.0 HO under the hood!!!
Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
5.0 HO carbed with an np435 and np208
Transmission
Manual
Take a look at my build thread, it should give you an idea, stats on page 66 if on a computer.

I used an after market fuel pump from AutoZone, Mr. Gasket 12S. Runs off the return line and puts out 4-7 psi and used my existing fuel pump wires plus mounted to holes in the frame from the factory at the required 45 degree angle. If you do that, you will have to pull the sending unit to take the orange thing off the return line and also its recommended to run a pressure regulator, you don't need anything fancy there either.

As for ignition, I used an hei style dizzy I guitar eBay for $35 from a seller named skipwhite, but it's made for roller block engines, not sure if yours is flat tappet lifters or a roller lifters block. One wire hook up, used a wire that was put in the truck years ago for that. It needs voltage too it during cranking to be able to start, basically an existing coil wire.

You can also do the duraspark setup, it's a few more wires but just as reliable. Get a dizzy for an 85 mustang if doing that, and not sure, but I don't think there's any differences in duraspark boxes in the years they were made, but I want to say the 85 mustang used it and if so, get it. As for a coil, either get a canister type or a ford one, think the canister type will need a resistor for it. To power it, I would say an existing wire to your existing coil.

Can it seem overwhelming, yes, but take it one thing at a time and one wire at a time. Wiring isn't my favorite thing, but taking all the wiring out will make it worse. Your headlights, radio, etc...writes shouldn't be effected by the swap, mine weren't in the 3 engines and two transmissions my truck has seen.

A good wiring diagram and a volt meter/continuity tester will help you out a lot.

Hope that helps you out and didn't confuse you more. I did 9 months of research and gathering before I touched a wrench on my truck for the swap.

Sent from my rooted SPH-D710 using Tapatalk 2

Tbundy_04

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Ehh it helped a little, ive got a duraspark distributor, but i beleive i can get a standard coil,

Also i have a c4 trans under it, can i use soft tranny lines for it or do i have to use metal lines, and i think im gonna be replacing the fuel lines as well with soft lines as well just to make everything simpler, im tryin to rig the truck up the easiest wAy possible

Twister

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1985 1987
Make / Model
Duh
Engine Size
5.0L, 2.9L
Transmission
Manual
Why not stick with fuel injection? If my 85 would have been fuel injected from the factory the 302 going in it would be as well.

Sent from my SPH-L900 using Tapatalk 2

Tbundy_04

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
because the motor I have is carbed, I went with that route because its the least expensive way to go and the simplest

kimcrwbr1

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
2.8l
Transmission
Automatic

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals