• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

302 build

cobraranger85

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ranger
Engine Size
2.8L .030 over cam'd 350 Holley carb
Transmission
Manual
Hey guys I have a 71' 302 that I want to rebuild to put in my 85' 4x4 ranger. Its a 5 speed and I'm going to keed the stock tranny and drive train. I've been trying to put together a build list but haven't done too much of this and need a little help with what parts I should be looking for. Heres what I've got so far. I want to do a mild build with a little bit biger cam and 4-barrel carb. If I can I'm going to keep the stock bore unless it needs to be bored out. I have pick out a couple of cams from lunati the one I'm leaning more to get has a 284 duration and a 488 lift with 110 lobe seperation and comes with new lifters. Also looking at lunati push tubes. The 302 I have is a 2-barrel right now so I need a new intake but not sure if I should go with a stock cast iron one or get a aftermarket one. I want to stay around 500 or so for the 4-barrel carb. I have looked at the holley truck avenger 470 cfm carb and wondering if this would be alright. I'm wanting to still get desent fuel milage with it too cause I will be driving it on the road alot. Any sugestions would be much apreciated.

Thanks

dangerranger83

5.0 HO under the hood!!!
Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
5.0 HO carbed with an np435 and np208
Transmission
Manual
You mean your going to keep your current stock transmission in your ranger and use it for the swap? If so, not going to happen since a 302 has a different bellhousing bolt pattern then any of rangers had. So your going to need to get a transmission that bolts to a 302.

Also make sure that your valve springs, valve train, etc...can handle an after market cam and that you get new lifters too since you have a flat tappet lifter engine.

If you're wanting to put money into a 302, I recommend at least doing it to a roller block 302.

Sent from my rooted SPH-D710 using Tapatalk 2

Mac

Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
There are adapters to do the trans to block conversion but most would highly reccomend not doing that, expecially if you are going to upgrade the power level. The cost of having a motor checked out and rebuilt is real close to a rebuilt short block from many suppliers unless you tackle it yourself. Even using the larger 570 will/can give you good mileage if you keep your foot out of it, primary's are smaller than the two barrel. Those heads will give you little adjustment for the valves, they are of the stepped designed studs. Keep looking at options.
Dave

snoranger

Professional money waster
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
RBV's on Boost
ASE Certified Tech
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'79,'94,'02,'23
Make / Model
All Fords
Engine Type
2.3 EcoBoost
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
I didn't ask for your life story, just answer the question!
I have a 71' 302 that I want to put in my 85' 4x4 ranger. (+)
I'm going to keed the stock tranny (+)
mild build with a little bit biger cam and 4-barrel carb. (=)

BAD IDEA

Any sugestions would be much apreciated.

Thanks
Put a better trans behind that motor.

cobraranger85

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ranger
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Yeah they make a adapter plate to bolt a sbf bell housing to the manual trans in the early rangers. I don't want to make much more power than stock. just want to liven the engine up a little bit. If they make a adapter to put a v8 in front of my trans then it should hold up alright I would assume. Cause if its not a good idea then they wouldn't make money with it right?

Surrey

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Cause if its not a good idea then they wouldn't make money with it right?
hahahahahahahahahahaha :icon_rofl:

It doesn't have to be good for someone stupid to waste his money on it.
Think about it... You are nearly doubling the displacement on your engine (assuming you have the v6, and not a 4) AND you want to make that engine run good too. And then stick it infront of a nearly 30 year old tranny designed for half the torque.

Can anyone say tranny rebuild at 5000 miles?

snoranger

TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
RBV's on Boost
ASE Certified Tech
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'79,'94,'02,'23
Make / Model
All Fords
Engine Type
2.3 EcoBoost
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
Yeah they make a adapter plate to bolt a sbf bell housing to the manual trans in the early rangers. I don't want to make much more power than stock. just want to liven the engine up a little bit. If they make a adapter to put a v8 in front of my trans then it should hold up alright I would assume. Cause if its not a good idea then they wouldn't make money with it right?
The FM series transmissions were mediocre behind the 2.9l, they were never even used behind a 4.0l. A mild 5.0l should be able to turn that trans into scrap metal in about 50-100 feet.

It's your money.

cobraranger85

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ranger
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I can see what you guys are saying about the stock trans. Do you guys know of anyone that has put a 302 in front of the stock 5-speeds? If I don't keep the stock trans I definitely want to keep it a 5-speed, what would be a good trans to get?

snoranger

TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
RBV's on Boost
ASE Certified Tech
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'79,'94,'02,'23
Make / Model
All Fords
Engine Type
2.3 EcoBoost
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
M5od-r2... From a full size is a good option.

Mac

Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I think Snoranger got it right, anyone that has used the adapter for the stock trans will not admitte to it.
Dave

snoranger

TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
RBV's on Boost
ASE Certified Tech
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'79,'94,'02,'23
Make / Model
All Fords
Engine Type
2.3 EcoBoost
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
I think Snoranger got it right, anyone that has used the adapter for the stock trans will not admitte to it.
Dave
I'm sure if someone were to use a stock underpowered smog engine from the late 70s, then a FM trans would hold up for a while. It may even last long time if it doesn't get beat on.... But then what's the point in a 302 swap? Just to say you did it? At that point you'd be better off with a 4.0l swap.

cobraranger85

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ranger
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
What did the M5od-r2 come out of? I have the toyo koygo 5-speed in my ranger with the removable bell housing. Its the only one I have found a adapter for. From what I understand the FM trans does not have a removable bell housing and because of that you cant use it. From what I have researched you use a stock bell housing and a adapter plate to bolt it to your stock trans. How strong are the toyo trans?

84Stranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
302 poked to 361
Transmission
Automatic
As far as cams go Summit offers a Comp Cams kit. It comes with new cam, cam gears, timing chain, valve springs, retainers, lifters. It'd be a lot cheaper than buying everything separate. That's what I did when I built my 302. But I didn't build mine to be efficient. I went for all out built. As far as tranny's I couldn't tell you about a 5spd. I ended up building up my C4.

snoranger

TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
RBV's on Boost
ASE Certified Tech
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'79,'94,'02,'23
Make / Model
All Fords
Engine Type
2.3 EcoBoost
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
What did the M5od-r2 come out of? I have the toyo koygo 5-speed in my ranger with the removable bell housing. Its the only one I have found a adapter for. From what I understand the FM trans does not have a removable bell housing and because of that you cant use it. From what I have researched you use a stock bell housing and a adapter plate to bolt it to your stock trans. How strong are the toyo trans?
The r2 is used in the F150.

Forget about any manual trans that came stock in a ranger... The only one that even has a chance behind a 302 is the m5-r1. There's no adapter made for it.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals