• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Using 97 4.0 in 2000 3.0, need help

Loboy154

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
Planning to Switch both engine and tranny, have both trucks, big question is how to deal with fuel supply. 97 has return from fuel rail and 2000 Dual Fuel has single line to fuel rail. What is the best way to deal with this. Your help is greatly appreciated.

Last edited:

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Well you will need to swap computer and wiring harness so I guess swapping fuel system would be best.
Drops tanks and swap them.

Not sure if buying a used '98-'00 4.0l fuel rail with injectors will work with the '97 wiring harness or computer, or if the '97 computer could accurately control 65psi injectors vs 35psi injectors, as far as fuel metering.

Working Flex Fuel sensor is worth $650 new from Ford, maybe $200 used, 65psi fuel pump is worth something as well

Loboy154

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
which part of harness,where is the computer located?

Loboy154

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
Update on Swap- need help

Got the 4.0 in, had to do some mix and match and fab on motor brackets to fit up to 3.0 mounts.

Used the 4.0 harness from the 97, used the fuel pump and lines from 97 in the 2000 tank.

I am getting fuel to the rail can hear the pump run, but no start. I even sprayed starting fluid in intake, no effect. I tried the 2000 pcm and it will not start, same with 97 pcm- I get the theft light flash with the 97.

So what do you recommend

cp2295

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L swap, 8.8 explorer axle, IFS front end
Transmission
Manual
My credo
If you ain't first you're last
Honestly if i was you i would've used a 98-00 4.0 computer and fuel rail. The rail is returnless and the computer is in the same gen which makes life a lot easier. i did this swap and i had a 99 3.0 and put in a 98 4.0 and it was a massive headache, i ended up having to rewire the 3.0 harness and use the 98 4.0 computer to get it to run. No codes or anything so far. And the best pcm to use is the 98 4.0 because you won't have to deal with PATS at least i didn't. The light flashes everytime i start it but it starts regardless.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals