• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

jc30f in a 2.3 regular cab?

steevn

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Putting the shocks on didn't add any lift. The center of my hubs are at about 15 3/4" above the floor and my pivots were at about 13 1/4". I figured if I turn the pipe hardware upside down, it would give about a 2". The problem is the spring mount bolt wasnt long enough, so I made this new spring retainer that my socket could fit into.

This looks kind of unstable, I might brace it later.

This gave about 2 1/4" more distance from the beam to the bottom of the spring, I don't really know how much lift its giving because the steering is so sensitive to toe adjustments now. Basically if the suspension moves down it toes in dramatically and vice versa, because the tires have so much more traction the toe is moving the suspension. Im getting it aligned tomorrow cuz my reconstruction inspection is next week and I have to have the alignment paper. If that dosent help though I might have to get a k-link.

Last edited:

1RangerNut

Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9L
Transmission
Automatic
I wouldn't waste the money on an alignment until you get that steering lower.

Nice work by the way, keep it up. :icon_thumby:

Last edited:

steevn

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Thanks man, yeah I'm gonna do the alignment later, for now though this thing drives pretty crazy, when you accelerate it like floats higher in the front for a while then settles down lower for a bit, and just hitting little stuff on the road its got some definit bump steer. So whats the best solution here? I read 4x4 junkies post on steering and now I understand whats going on, basically, like rangernut just said, my steering is too high. Just lowering it will eliminate the floating effect but I might still have some bump steer so Im thinking buy the k link with the even lower pitman and then cut and weld the tie rod connector piece lower.

1RangerNut

Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9L
Transmission
Automatic
The FA600 might fix most of it since you're only lifted around 4 inches not 6+ like most people.

Mine was doing some weird stuff after just switching to the 4" drop arm from the standard 2" drop, without gettin it aligned.

I'm about to install my JC60F coils (right now actually) but my buckets are raised so I should only be around 4" and am hoping mine will be fine with just the droped arm.

4x4junkie

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Bronco II
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
2.9L V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
35x12.50R15
Any bumpsteer should be pretty minimal if the steering is aligned (in phase) with your beams.
Agreed, either the FA600 drop arm or a properly-set-up K-link is in order on yours.

Easy to tell how much lift you have if you put a slip-plate or something similar under one of your front tires to eliminate the bind (something like shown on this page a little ways down)

steevn

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I read jc60f wasn't as soft as jc30f, did you put em in yet?
since you guys think fa600 should be good I decided to go with just that for now, while waiting for it to come I replaced one of my balljoints and put in the adjustable camber/caster bushings.

I adjusted both sides to 1* positive camber and 3* caster. The box for this angle finder said "heavy duty", I accidentially dropped from a height of about 4" and the cover came off and the pointer needle flew out, It makes me wonder how the regular duty model is.

this is the spindle dust sheild, the left one was rusted away to nothing on the outside so I welded this ring on. I know it looks rough but I didn't wanna switch to gas sheilded cuz its too much work, after I finished grinding it looked better, besides it will never be seen. the new one was like $60 from the dealer.

steevn

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
stock 400 600

steers better than it ever has now

1RangerNut

Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9L
Transmission
Automatic
I know it's been awhile but any updates? How's it handle? Done any off-roading? Got any pic's?

steevn

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
the suspension moves around ALOT now especially on g-outs in the road. I definitly need to either cut the wheel wells or get some baja fenders, also with the bigger tires and no gear change this thing is really underpowered, so I've got some more work to do for sure. The offroad handeling is WAY better, like stuff that would make my head hit the cieling before, I bareley even notice now, its awesome. I made a electric to manual transfer case shifter and I'm gonna post some pictures of it in the transfer case forum so check that out if you want. I've only got these "scenery" style pics not any good trail flex ones

1RangerNut

Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9L
Transmission
Automatic
Any updates?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Dprocks100

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Nice build man! Truck looks good.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals