• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Cannot find www.google.com

Mark_88

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Dordge
Engine Size
3.3 Fuel Injected
Transmission
Automatic
My credo
Love Thy Neighbor
That shouldn't be a problem. They don't (or haven't yet) prevent you from reinstalling the OS after their support ends. That just means they don't offer any more upgrades or fixes.

Did you try bookmarking the page after you ran Google from the IP address?

JoshT

Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Did you try running your AV and MBAM while in safe mode? Might want to give that a try. Some malicious software is capable of preventing them from detecting it in regular mode, but they find it in safe mode.

Last thing I can think of if changing the DNS didn't work is that your hosts file might be corrupted. The hosts file holds hostnames (web addresses) and their corresponding IP addresses static on the computer rather than requesting them from the DNS each time you try to open the page. It's particularly useful for businesses hosting their own internal sites, but can also be used for blocking sites or redirecting. It is possible for malware and viruses to add entries to the hosts file, and it also possible to add one yourself.

You can find how to access your hosts file here: http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_xp-system/how-to-fix-corrupted-etchosts-file/828b55b2-352f-43ed-b8a3-a77b25c58d6d

I would check it for any entries concerning Google and remove them. Personally I would not use the Microsoft "fix it wizard" linked to in the article above, but if you need to reset the hosts file they have the manual method on that same page. The only link you have to have is the one for "local host".

If there are no entries for Google in there you may want to add one with the IP address you know works. That will bypass all DNS searching and go straight to that IP address.

4x4junkie

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Bronco II
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
2.9L V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
35x12.50R15
The hosts file was actually among the first things I checked (guess I should've mentioned it).

Anyway, finally success after running the AV in Safe Mode. Avast hit on some file (which I should've wrote down what it was but didn't :rolleyes: ) and Google appears to be loading now (and the Google map on a real-estate website that wasn't working which led to this discovery is now also working). MBAM never hit on anything at all when I ran it.

F'ing computers... What a PITA :annoyed: lol.

Thanks guys! Appreciate your time helping me sort this one out.

:beer: :beer: :beer:

Mark_88

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Dordge
Engine Size
3.3 Fuel Injected
Transmission
Automatic
My credo
Love Thy Neighbor
:icon_thumby:

Avast has probably quarantined the file so you can look for it if you really want to know what it was. Even if it removed it there should be some record of it in the software.

Safe mode scanning is probably the best way if it is a toughie to find otherwise...either that or use a different software because some of them can actually bypass known AV software...they are getting trickier every day too...lol

JoshT

Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Glad you were able to fix it without resorting to a clean reinstall of Windows.

The hosts file was actually among the first things I checked (guess I should've mentioned it).
Good deal. Most people don't even know about the hosts file. It had slipped my mind until late yesterday, then I had to remember what it was called.

97RangerXLT

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
2"
Tire Size
31"
My first thought was why don't you google it :)

Glad you got it figured out. usually it is an antivirus program or firewall that will cause problems like that if it isn't malware.

AJ

4x4junkie

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Bronco II
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
2.9L V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
35x12.50R15
My first thought was why don't you google it :)
lol, I was waiting for a comment like that. :icon_twisted:

No doubt, I was NOT looking forward to a reinstall (especially with it's disc being a SP1 disc, I recall those updates being quite time consuming)

Yeah I became familiar with the hosts file after using a program called Kazaa-Lite many years ago. You can use it to block all kinds of ad-servers and tracking sites (this was before the existence of Ad-Block for Firefox).

Thanks again guys. :icon_thumby:

JoshT

Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
lol, I was waiting for a comment like that. :icon_twisted:
Actually, I figured you had already tried that since you have other computers that would work.

Yeah I became familiar with the hosts file after using a program called Kazaa-Lite many years ago. You can use it to block all kinds of ad-servers and tracking sites (this was before the existence of Ad-Block for Firefox).
Yeah I'm familiar with that one too, never got into P2P enough to bother with adjusting things to make them work better.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals