• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

4x4 Manual Transmission 302 Conversion

Drunkcaballo

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
I know this subject has been beaten to death but I still havent found an answer anywhere yet for the 4x4 solution...

Obviously the T5 to the BW1350 is not an option anymore...so what options do I have. I see that Advance Adapters makes adapters for a Jeep NV3550 to adapt to the bell housing and then another adapter to get back to the BW1350. Im sure by the time all that is done the drive shafts would have to be modified since the lengths are likely different after all the adapting....

So instead of going through all of that...If I were to put a manual in behind the 302, change and relocate the transfer case, build new drive shafts...what would be the best option to put behind the 302 (best equals most economical, easy to find, and if any luck, have the stick not come through the floor boards next to the seat). M50D R1 mated to a ????

The truck will be used as a city driver and some light duty off road fun (Im easy on my vehicles...I dont like to beat them to death).

Thanks in advance!

mikepotts

V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
since you stated a CITY DD... my reccomendation is, ford 4 spd (t-18, t-19, np-435 any of them would be fine) and a 205. this may seem like an aggressive suggestion and a little overkill, BUT, i went to alot of trouble the first time i built my BII to keep the 1354 and it was pointless! i never reused the crossmember or drive shafts, so there was no reason to keep the 1350 based t-case other than "i wanted to" (stupid). plus the 4 spd/205 combo you need was found in a HEEP of ford trucks with everything from a 6 cyl to 351 W from the 70's thru the 80's. the 435 i have was bought at pull-a-part for $65.00 complete from the bellhousing w/ hyd parts to the t-case adapter and the 205 was free!

i spent $500.00 to built the c-4/c-5, and $150.00 for the manual 1354!

my $.02 :D

Drunkcaballo

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
That is more aggressive than I was thinking (dont need and dont want the granny gear). I should clarify that city driving also equals being on a freeway at 75mph where I live. There is not a lot of city around here. What I am after is 5 speed manual with overdrive (sorry for not being more clear in the first post). The ZF 5 seems overkill to me and Ive read a lot of conflicting things about having to do a body lift/transmission tunnel mods...and Im not sure I want to go down that path. Id like to keep the truck mildly stock looking.

Beanmachine7000

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Manual
I would use a M50D-R2 from a full-size truck and a NP205...

bobbywalter

TRS Technical Staff
TRS Event Staff
V8 Engine Swap
TRS Technical Advisor
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Ugly Truck of Month
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD mostly
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
BIGGER
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
sawzall?
Tire Size
33-44
My credo
it is easier to fix and understand than "her"
yeah city means cruise to me.

best all around cost effective city cruiser to me, would be a complete 4.8 or 5.3 gm setup. this will net best stock power and economy.

if you want the ford, r1 and 208 all the way.

trick milton

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
bronco 2
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
I have a Bronco 2 with a c4 transmission and a Dana 20 transfer case. its from a classic Bronco. I've looked very much into a nv3550. for my setup my tranfer case would be 1/4 in longer. and no drive shaft modifications needed. I don't have the measurements right now because I'm at work but if you would like I can get them for you from my engine to the u joint.

PlumCrazy

Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
RBV's on Boost
2014 Truck of The Year
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
Solid Axle Swap 4x4
This thread is over 4 years old......

Sent from my XT907 using Tapatalk 2

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals