• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Do i have everything i need for the swap?!

modded5.0man

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
first post here. and im not sure if this is the right place for this but I have a 1989 mustang with a freshly built carbd 306, brand new tko500, moser axles, 3.73 gears. ive decided I want to put this all in my 1996 single cab short bed 4cyl 5spd ranger. I took a rough measurement earlier and it looked as though the axles on the mustang were a hair shorter, so we are all good there. I have bbk drag springs I figure I could use for the front of the pickup. since they are taller than what originally came on my fox I figure it might be a close match. and Lakewood 70/30 shocks for my fox I think I can make work. this pickup has no power steering or ac and don't plan on fitting either into the mix. now im prolly just gonna buy a swap kit from jegs(comes with mounts and headers) ill have a nice, quiet exhaust made for it (make those bowties go :icon_confused:)

what driveshaft can you use for a 302/tko swap? can I just use my mustang driveshaft?

can anybody spot anything im missing? or is it basically time to go to work? what kind of fitment issues is there to be had?

I wanna know everything there is to do this swap, cuz I really want to do it

97RangerXLT

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
2"
Tire Size
31"
You will probably have to do some fabbing for new mounts and your driveshaft will either have to be shortened or lenghtened. There might be a few other things you will have to do but if you have a running and working parts car (Mustang) you should have most of the expensive stuff.

Check out the V8 forums/ engine swap forums on this site. there have been several members that have done 5.0 swaps and you can learn a lot just reading their posts and how to's.

And btw.. welcome to TRS and be sure to post copious amounts of pics when you do this swap. :)

AJ

ty.thompson1981

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Transmission
Manual
Welcome to the forum! Fitment of parts is going to totally depend on how you situate the engine in the truck. Depending on how far forward or backward you set it will determine things like driveshaft fitment, shifter placement, things like that. I swapped an 89 GT engine and stock T5 in mine. I situated my engine in such a way that I was able to use my stock ranger driveshaft without any mods. It literally just slid right in the trans and bolted right up to the flange. Every swap is different. Just be patient and feel free to ask as many questions as you need. I have a swap post on here somewhere. I will try and send you the link. Good luck!

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals