• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

2.3 won't start

90jurassic2

U.S. Military - Veteran
RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I got an 85 2.3 it if a mustang. I just dropped it in my 85 ranger. I mixed and matched a little bit, just the upper intake manifold. I'm getting spark, and fuel. It cranks over strong, just wont start. Any ideas?

Spott

TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Sounds like something's not right.

(In other words, we're going to need a lot more detail to help you.)

90jurassic2

U.S. Military - Veteran
RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Well what else do you need to know? I just swapped the block and head. Plugged everything in. Kept the same intake manifold off the bad motor and the header. Everything is wired up how it needs to be. Vacuums are all set up. Is that enough?

Haywire6000

RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3 Turbo Four Plug Head
Transmission
Manual
Spark+Fuel+Compression= Vroom. Sound like a timing issue. Check you timing marks, being two teeth off will cause them not to run some times.

Spott

TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Well, for starters: How did the engine run in the previous application? Was it stored, for how long, in what manner? Why did you replace you old engine? What's the state of the EEC? How's the compression? How's the fuel pressure? How's the timing? How's the injector spray? Does the exhaust smell like gas? Are you SURE you plugged every connector back in? Are you sure the dizzy is clocked correctly to your plugs? (And those are just the first round of questions.)

Some people can write whole novels about engine swaps and troubleshooting. You basically asked us "My engine cranks, but won't start. Why?"

90jurassic2

U.S. Military - Veteran
RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I feel like I gave you enough info. The motor sat for about 2 or 3 months. The old motor siezed, thats why I replaced it (don't know what that has to do with this one?) EEC is good. Compression is good. Fuel pressure is good. I'm gonna look at timing again. I'm guessing its to advanced, and not getting spark at the right time. There's no exhaust because it wont start. I am positive I plugged everything in. I triple checked. I've done motor swaps before. only thing different is this motor has a distributor that I replaced.

Thanks Haywire, I'll look into that.

EDIT: Timing on the motor is good, checked it with a timing light. I just need to adjust the distributor a snatch more I'm guessing.

FritzTKatt

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Sure that you aren't on the exhaust stroke when the plug fires?

Does it push a fuel/air mix out the exhaust when it cranks?

Mark_88

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Dordge
Engine Size
3.3 Fuel Injected
Transmission
Automatic
My credo
Love Thy Neighbor
The timing is set with the vacuum line (if present) disconnected (or spout connector removed) so you may be seeing incorrect timing if that was not done properly.

Your valve timing can be out and the crank timing could be perfect....because there is a 180* possible difference...but I think someone already mentioned that...you need to check for TDC on the compression stroke before setting the valves and installing the belt.

The reason for the motor swap is important for a simple reason...if you were having the same issue on the old one then it means the same issue is still there...but a swap for a broken engine usually means everything else was working to some extent.

Spott

TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Thank you for your reply. Now that you've explained those additional things, you've helped us eliminate about 90% of the possible causes of your problem.

At this point, I'd suggest you check distributor phasing and then listen/feel for injector tick. If the injectors are working, then your EEC and cam sensor are probably OK.

The replacement dizzy makes me strongly suspect your distributor is 180° out of phase. Swapping the plug wires around can fix that, followed by final timing adjustments.

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
+1 ^^

On a 4 stroke engine the Crank turns at twice the speed of the Cam, this means there are TWO #1 Top Dead Center(TDC) marks passing the pointer for each complete cycle of #1 cylinder.
TDC compression
TDC exhaust

The distributor runs off the CAM timing so it needs to be lined up to spark the #1 plug on the TDC Compression stroke, not TDC exhaust, so if you just pick one you have a 50/50 chance of getting it right, but in my experience it is more like an 80/20 of getting it wrong, lol.

Although you often get a back fire when distributor is 180deg off on Cam timing, this is not always the case.
If you remove spark plug #1 and rotate the crank you can feel which TDC is the compression stroke by the air be forced out with both valves closed.
Then pull of distributor cap and see if rotor is aligned with #1 wire on the cap.

90jurassic2

U.S. Military - Veteran
RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I can hear it pump through the exhaust. I bet that's the air/fuel mixture. I just bright it to top dead center, it was probably on the exhaust stroke. That would make a lot of sense because then the spark would be firing at the completely wrong timewhich is what it's doing.

90jurassic2

U.S. Military - Veteran
RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
It's on time. Getting fuel and spark. Plugs are good. I'm thinking I need to rest the distributor electronic or whatever something But I can't really find anything that tells me how to do that. Any Help guys?

Spott

TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Do you mean "reset"? It's not a microprocessor that can be reset, it's just circuits. Either it works, or it doesn't. If it doesn't work, replace it.

If you're getting spark at the right time, more or less, then it's probably working just fine.

Is it a nice fat bright spark?

90jurassic2

U.S. Military - Veteran
RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Never checked what the disk looked like, just stuck a screw driver into the spark plug wire and my buddy was getting a good shock. I'm just gonna send it in to a shop. My backyard mechanics skill can't master this one.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals