• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Waggy 44 leaf sas

fire57dan

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I have a donor 89 waggy with both axles. I have an 86 ranger regular cab long bed with a 4 inch lift right now. I am debating on using both the axles from the waggy and swapping them in the ranger. Do you guys think using an 8.8 would be better than the amc 20 for the rear? I would like to use an 8.8 because its bolt in. I would then need parts to convert the front 44 to match the 8.8. I dont know what parts i would need or what to get them from. I'm assuming caliper, rotor, hub, ect but am not exactly sure. as far as leafs I want to end up with a 6 to 8 inch lift. I can just get longer leafs for the back if i go with an 8.8 but what do you guys run for the front? also I want to run 35's should i go with 4.10 or higher gears? it has 3.73 with 31's now and i wouldn't put a bigger tire on. I want to accumulate these parts now for next winter when i build it.

4x4junkie

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Bronco II
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
2.9L V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
35x12.50R15
An Explorer 8.8" is miles ahead of an AMC-20 (but it's probably a wash with a Ranger 8.8"). The Explorer 8.8" is not quite bolt-in though, you need to relocate the leaf perches on it to on top of the axle tube.

I suggest redrill the 8.8" flanges for whatever pattern the D44 has (5x5.5" i think for a Waggy axle). To convert the D44 to 5x4.5" would mean switching to somewhat-trouble-prone '75-'79 Dodge ends, which you would then have to buy a locking hub conversion kit for if you want lockout hubs (all $$$ for nothing gained, if such stuff is even still available).
The 8.8" flanges are JUST big enough for a 5.5" bolt circle if you use thread-in studs.

35" tires calls for 5.13 gears if you have the stock 2.9L.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals