• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

flex fuel injectors in non-flex engine?

littlehat

U.S. Military - Active
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
If I remember correctly the flex engine injectors are 25lbs. Are these the same style as the non-flex engines? And no my engine will not be stock, that is why i need bigger and don't think 19lbs will be enough.

stmitch

March 2011 STOTM Winner
MTOTM Winner
2011 Truck of The Year
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Flex fuel injectors are actually around 24lbs (just a technicality), and should fit your non flex fuel rails. You might be able to find other 24lbs injectors cheaper than the flex fuel ones though. Especially if you're buying them new. I think a lot of the newer mustangs had 24lb injectors.

If you've got big plans for the motor, I'd consult with whoever is going to be tuning everything before you buy anything, and see what size injector they think you'll need. That way you don't spend money on unnecessary or useless stuff.

2wdmuddin

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
beefy 3.0
Transmission
Automatic
just my 2 cents, i would go with a 93-94 motor strictly for the fact of having a distributor and its a good base. everyone says that a coil pack motor is suppose to be better for a number of reasons, but i dont think that they are worth the eletrical problems youll be chasing, the camshaft sensor youll be replacing and just the money youll be spending. i know the 3.0 isnt a cheap motor to modify, trust me i know, but look up what you can get for kits compare prices and hp/torque ratings. and if you dont want to go that old i would stay away from flex fuels, parts are extremely expensive, my old boss had one and at like 98,000 fuel filter, fuel pressure, fuell pump, and a little switch that tells what type of fuel it is went bad and ended up being over a grand to replace.

stmitch

March 2011 STOTM Winner
MTOTM Winner
2011 Truck of The Year
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
There's really no reason to downgrade to an older distributor fired engine.
1) The newer blocks are stronger, and have better cooling capabilities than the mid 90's blocks.
2) As you stated, there are several advantages with a coil setup over a distributor. The only disadvantage might be the cam synchro, which can last hundreds of thousands of miles before failing.
3) Flex fuel engines actually have some advantages over standard fuel 3.0's, such as smaller combustion chambers that increase the compression ratio. For a naturally aspirated engine, it's a great base. For a boosted setup, it's ability to run e-85 is a tremendous benefit that can reduce pinging, and return better performance than premium gas, for less money. I wouldn't hesitate to mod a flex fuel motor. While the fuel system components can be more expensive than regular gas components, how often would you be replacing that stuff? Maybe once every 100,000 miles if you're unlucky?

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals