• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Body and frame flex???

RedRanger_97

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
I have a 97 ext. cab 4x4 and I was just wondering if anyone else has a good bit of frame flex when offroad. I can hear my back glass flex, and my one piece driveshaft (aluminum) is requiring more clearancing than it should. also you can get it crossed up and see the bed flexing. now i have a leak, its getting wet above the back glass. may not be related but is suspicious.

4x4junkie

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Bronco II
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
2.9L V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
35x12.50R15
The leak is likely from around the 3rd brake/cargo lamp.

I would say check you body bushings if it's visibly flexing a lot. Creaking noises from around the glass & doors is pretty normal however.

kshack11

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 V6
Transmission
Automatic
just remember when your truck is flexed, you dont want to really open the doors especially for ext, because the doors are a lot of the cabs support. you dont want to tweek the cabs shape, then your doors wont line up.

crawlin91

OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9, 4.0
Transmission
Manual
my one piece only rubs at full stuff on the drivers side, but ive had the damn gas tank skid off twice already to grind and cut it up and it still hits. I guess the steel one is an inch smaller in diameter and would save the rubbing when I find one. as for the cab and frame, yeah they flex but itll be boxed when it gets the one tons.

legoms013

09/2013 OTOTM
Article Contributor
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Size
4.0L V6
Transmission
Automatic
yeah mine flexes to the point where the factory pinstripe doesnt line up anymore

See here: http://therangerstation.com/forums/showthread.php?t=30648&highlight=prairie+city

Pictures like 4 and 5 from the top.

And no matter how much i trim off the skid plate, that damn one pc drive line makes a horrendously atrocious noise that makes your ears hurt....but i like it, ppl always ask what is that??? lol i just say thats my pc of shit truck for yah, that is currently outdoing your jeep......

Last edited:

RedRanger_97

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
thanks for the info guys, the third brake light was the first thing i thought of and pulled it off and seal it with silicone, and still got a leak right after. so i pulled it back off while it was still wet and it looked dry behind it so I resealed it again and we got rain today and not wet so maybe it didn't seal the first time ?. well see how it goes. as far as the body flex info you provided makes me feel better, thanks. with the aluminum shaft still touching i am gonna swap to the steel one.

Last edited:

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals