• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Something I've noticed about people's opinions on the new Ford Ranger

UCFKnightDiver

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
It seems like I have seen a number of people complaining about the potential cost of the Ford Ranger, and of course I think anyone would like to get something nice for cheaper, but a common comment I have heard is, "if it starts in the low 20ks, I'm just going to go buy a full size F150." While I'm sure this makes sense for some, personally I don't need a full size truck. They are getting massive, are difficult to drive around town, difficult to park in small/tight parking lots, can't fit in some garages, etc. Also, for me, I personally want a nice truck, that means the Lariat Ranger. I will likely be able to get a Lariat Ranger for around 40k with all the bells and whistles, while an equivalent F150 would probably cost close to 70k.

Thoughts?

Craig0320

Supporting Member
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
Break it right the first time. Fix it better the next time.
Getting any kind of truck under twenty without purchasing a fleet is almost impossible. My dad is buying a brand new cc colorado for 26k and it is 2wd. It's a shame. It's like they are almost forcing you into a full size with the price.

adsm08

Senior Master Grease Monkey
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
It's like they are almost forcing you into a full size with the price.
That is a dumb statement.

If you want something smaller than the full-size, and you can get something 1/2 to 3/4 of that size for $40K, while the same/equivalent options in the full size is $30K more, or even $10K more, they are not forcing you to do anything. If you go buy the bigger truck, that wasn't what you really wanted, and spend a lot more on it, you were not forced to do anything, you just didn't understand the concept of not spend a large amount of extra money on something you didn't want.

Craig0320

Supporting Member
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
That is a dumb statement.

If you want something smaller than the full-size, and you can get something 1/2 to 3/4 of that size for $40K, while the same/equivalent options in the full size is $30K more, or even $10K more, they are not forcing you to do anything. If you go buy the bigger truck, that wasn't what you really wanted, and spend a lot more on it, you were not forced to do anything, you just didn't understand the concept of not spend a large amount of extra money on something you didn't want.
It may be a dumb statement. But I do not care. Words such as "like" and "almost" typically implies someone is sharing their opinion. It does not mean it is a fact. Just my "opinion" though. :D

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Getting any kind of truck under twenty without purchasing a fleet is almost impossible. My dad is buying a brand new cc colorado for 26k and it is 2wd. It's a shame. It's like they are almost forcing you into a full size with the price.
2wd Silverado CC WT with a 4.3 is $35k on the "build your truck" thing. No options other than the CC.

Craig0320

Supporting Member
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
2wd Silverado CC WT with a 4.3 is $35k on the "build your truck" thing. No options other than the CC.
I do not even use those build your truck options on the interweb because usually you can work a deal on one at a dealer. My buddy bought a brand new 2011 silverado for 27,000 out the door and the list was 36k on it. He wheeled and dealed for three days with them. It was a ec 1500 and only thing it did not have was leather.

TrackRider54

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
Trucks are in high demand, and the new Ranger will be one of the most sought after trucks on the market when it's released. Will it be pricey...yes. But I don't think it's going to cost as much as a comparably equipped F-150. I'm betting a Ranger Lariat will be a good $12k-$15K cheaper than the F-150.

Like the OP, I don't need or want a full size truck. Biggest thing I'll be hauling is a 500lb motorcycle in the bed. Pretty much any truck ever made will meet my needs. I don't need 500hp. I don't need to tow 10,000lbs.

At 6'5", I do enjoy a tall vehicle. It's easier for me to get in and out of. I also want it to fit in my garage, which pretty much leaves out an F-150 crew cab. Physically it just won't fit.

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I do not even use those build your truck options on the interweb because usually you can work a deal on one at a dealer. My buddy bought a brand new 2011 silverado for 27,000 out the door and the list was 36k on it. He wheeled and dealed for three days with them. It was a ec 1500 and only thing it did not have was leather.
Well a crewcab Taco TRDOR (no Ranger pricing yet) how I want it is $35k, a comparably equipped crewcab XLT FX4 F-150 is $45k.

Maybe not to some but a $10k difference starting out is a significant difference to me. :dntknw:

Craig0320

Supporting Member
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
At the end of the day it all boils down to each person needs/wants. I have not to this day purchased/wanted to a new vehicle because I felt it is not worth the money. I love my ranger and rarely have issues. I bought my 06 z71 for 2k from my uncle with a blown up motor. I have 4500 in it now with 150,000 miles
and rebuilt engine. Like I said to each is own.

BlackBII

Ranger Custom
Article Contributor
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
Truck of Month
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
With today's average auto loans approaching 72-84 months, most people are only concerned about the short term; how much the monthly payment will be. A little bit extra per month allows one to not really notice the extra $10k in total price, and so they opt for the 'better' truck that has more power, room, etc.

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
At the end of the day it all boils down to each person needs/wants. I have not to this day purchased/wanted to a new vehicle because I felt it is not worth the money. I love my ranger and rarely have issues. I bought my 06 z71 for 2k from my uncle with a blown up motor. I have 4500 in it now with 150,000 miles
and rebuilt engine. Like I said to each is own.
My '02 F-150 has 164k on it (139k put on it by me over the last 13 years) and in addition to the typical high mileage fun rust has really taken hold. Happens to every older truck. You probably don't have a lot of that down there.

I do know I don't like how much bigger the new F-150's are. 3v 5.4 issues have taken the 04-10's off the list and the 11+ don't seem to get affordable until they have the same mileage as what I have already.

Low mile used is within a few thousand of new, I haven't really found a good direction to go. :dntknw:

adsm08

Senior Master Grease Monkey
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
With today's average auto loans approaching 72-84 months, most people are only concerned about the short term; how much the monthly payment will be. A little bit extra per month allows one to not really notice the extra $10k in total price, and so they opt for the 'better' truck that has more power, room, etc.
Every "on credit" transaction I make, from buying a house to putting McDonald's on the credit card, I look at one thing, and one thing only. How long will it take me to pay it off at the minimum payments. If I don't like that answer, I don't buy.

rusty ol ranger

Im a Jeep guy now.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
177 CID
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
A legend to the old man, a hero to the child...
Low mile used is within a few thousand of new, I haven't really found a good direction to go. :dntknw:
If youre not afraid to do some huntin, clean, under 100k 92-96s can be had for 7 or 8k :icon_thumby:

Find one with a 351 and 4wd and youll be all set :icon_hornsup:

Just an option :icon_hornsup:

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
If youre not afraid to do some huntin, clean, under 100k 92-96s can be had for 7 or 8k :icon_thumby:

Find one with a 351 and 4wd and youll be all set :icon_hornsup:

Just an option :icon_hornsup:
I have thought about that too, I would probably go '250 while I am doing it.

They are not immune to rust at all but at least would be easy to work on.

But then there is the moral obligation... buying a really clean 20+ year old truck from down south to drive in the salt up here :fie:

Jim Oaks

Just some guy with a website
Administrator
Founder / Site Owner
Supporting Vendor
Article Contributor
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1996 / 2021
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0 / 2.3 Ecoboost
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
6-inches
Tire Size
33x12.50x15
Is there a reason people think there should be a big price difference between the Ranger and F-150?

Although it's a little smaller in size, there is still a production process involved. Just as many parts, and time to build.

I wouldn't expect it to be any more than say $10,000 less at the most.

Attachments

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals