• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Frame flex

amccoach

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Hello i am not sure if this is the best place to post this but on my Ranger when i was taking the transmission cross member out i noticed a lot of flex to the frame on the bottom lip, i could grab it with my fingers and move it up and down and almost bend it. The frame felt like it was very weak at any spot not just by the cross member. I am wondering if that is normal, i am used to 1/2 and 3/4 ton trucks so i don't know whats normal on these trucks. Thanks!

rangerenthiusiast

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Definitely doesn’t sound normal. I think they changed the steel somewhere after ’92. I know that the frames rot out and snap real bad (particularly in the rear) on the ones around the year 2000. Toyota and Ford both had the same problem; Yota made good on it, Ford didn’t.

Hope yours is okay.

amccoach

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Yes im hoping its ok. It does have a small crack under the rear cab mount that i have to fix. How thin would you say a ranger frame is compared to a f150 or f250 frame?

rangerenthiusiast

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Yes im hoping its ok. It does have a small crack under the rear cab mount that i have to fix. How thin would you say a ranger frame is compared to a f150 or f250 frame?
I’ll try to remember to go out and measure the frame on my ’92 in that area after work today (I’ll have to do it with a tape measure, as I don’t own a micrometer at the moment). If I had to guess off the top of my head, I’d say maybe 3/16” max....

PS - If there’s any way that you can post some pics, that would really help folks here know what you have going on under there.

Last edited:

adsm08

Senior Master Grease Monkey
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
I have noticed that Ranger frames of that era do seem to flex excessively. It always seems like when I put one on a lift the doors no longer open and close correctly while it's in the air.

That said, you should not be able to flex any part of that frame by hand. You have a serious issue.

amccoach

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I will take some pictures this weekend of the frame. when i say it flexes its only the bottom lip not the whole thing. it just will move up and down slightly when i try to bend it with my fingers.

adsm08

Senior Master Grease Monkey
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
I will take some pictures this weekend of the frame. when i say it flexes its only the bottom lip not the whole thing. it just will move up and down slightly when i try to bend it with my fingers.
I get that. Unless you are Andre the Giant you shouldn't be able to do that. I can't do that with a sheet of weld-plate that I wouldn't patch a frame with.

rangerenthiusiast

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
I’m so sorry, amccoach. I was out working on my truck today and did glance at the frame, but completely forgot to come back and measure it with a tape measure. I think it’s about 1/8” thick. Yours is newer, but if it’s much less than that, then I can’t imagine it’s providing any real structural integrity.

Please do post some pics of what you have going on, as it should really help folks know what it is your seeing on your end. And please do keep us posted with updates as you go along.

Best wishes,

RE

rusty ol ranger

Im a Jeep guy now.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
177 CID
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
A legend to the old man, a hero to the child...
Unless its rotted/flaking/peeling like a grands biscuit i cant see why it would flex that easy. Even if it was rotting usually it is still pretty stiff.

Can you take a video of this? Im imagining like bending a paperclip easy...

amccoach

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I will take a bunch of pictures and a video this weekend so everyone will have a better idea of what i am talking about. Thanks for all the replies!

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I am wondering if that is normal, i am used to 1/2 and 3/4 ton trucks so i don't know whats normal on these trucks. Thanks!
IIRC it is the same material and thickness as a least a half ton, just the half ton has a very different shape/design of the frame to give it more strength.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals