• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

alternator question

MrEwubbsZ

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I have a 2000 4cyl 2.5 ranger and i was looking at sites for bigger alternators (300amp) and everyone i look at it says that its for a 6cyl and the option for a 4cyl isnt there. Can i put a 300amp alternator in my truck?
Thanks for the help.

85_redranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.5L 4 Cyl
Transmission
Manual
I have the same motor and year and my alternator just went out too i just got a replacement one but i wish i could've found a nice high amp one cause i got subs and led's under my truck i'm gonna keep a watch on this thread and if one does turn up it might be a good investment, don't mean to change the topic but good luck with your search buddy.

Spott

TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
300A at 12V is 3.6kW. That's 4.8hp, assuming no losses. Since there are losses, in the drive, the wiring, etc, you're probably using 10 to 15hp to turn that alternator, if you have a 300A load on it. That's 10-15hp that isn't going to your tires.

Also, a 300A alternator is large and heavy, and your engine may not have mounting points suitable for something that size. Also, the wiring from the alternator is probably not large enough to handle that much current.

What are you running, that you need that kinda power? A 200A should be more than enough for any vehicle setup. If you need more power than that, you should probably reconsider whatever it is you're doing.

Have you considered a dual-alternator setup?

Spott

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals