Home Ford Ranger Forum Builders Guide How To Tech Other Articles Featured Rangers Readers Rangers Classifieds Shirts & Decals

Old 05-05-2018, 10:01 PM   #31
rangerenthiusiast

Vehicle Year: 1992
Vehicle Make: Ford
Vehicle Model: Ranger Custom
rangerenthiusiast is on a distinguished road

Do you really wanna risk it? Could make a bad situation worse. Just sayin...

If you’re like me, you’ll probably chance it anyway. Good luck, man. Hope it all works out.
rangerenthiusiast is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement - Don't want to see the forum ads? Click HERE to find out how to be a Supporting Member.

5% Rock Auto Discount Code: 20B2FF503DCF74 Expires: September 28, 2018
Old 05-06-2018, 01:33 PM   #32
Denisefwd93

Vehicle Year: 1993
Vehicle Model: Ranger XLT 4X4
I use this vehicle for: daily driver maybe off road someday
Denisefwd93 has a spectacular aura aboutDenisefwd93 has a spectacular aura aboutDenisefwd93 has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by rangerenthiusiast View Post
Do you really wanna risk it? Could make a bad situation worse. Just sayin...

If you’re like me, you’ll probably chance it anyway. Good luck, man. Hope it all works out.
Back in the day I'm talking to 50s and early 60s my dad left the radiator cap loose, and just carried water. Unless it's really hot outside I don't think it'll be a problem, but it's not my decision to make.
Old 05-06-2018, 03:00 PM   #33
RonD

Vehicle Year: 1994
Vehicle Model: Ranger
RonD has a brilliant futureRonD has a brilliant futureRonD has a brilliant futureRonD has a brilliant futureRonD has a brilliant futureRonD has a brilliant futureRonD has a brilliant futureRonD has a brilliant futureRonD has a brilliant futureRonD has a brilliant futureRonD has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by fr7 View Post
I got one more dumb question. I'm gonna try to drive the ranger to the cabin tomorrow, once I get out of the city I can take gravel roads all the the way, it just takes longer, the wife is gonna follow me just in case something goes wrong.
So, if loosen the radiator cap like halfway to the first stop, would that help relieve some pressure while I drive or will it start leaking coolant or blow the cap? It's a little over 1 hour drive on gravel roads, just trying to make sure I get there safely and with a running truck, if something happens I have a friend ready to bring a trailer but I rather not go through that. Thanks guys..
Drain some coolant from radiator, so its down 2"s or so.
You can leave the cap loose, rotated to first(and only) stop, so no pressure builds up in the system.

Coolant still expands when heated, this is where the pressure comes from, and why you need to leave some room at the top of the radiator for the coolant to expand into.

Vehicles ran like this for years, no pressure in the system, and also with pressure and no overflow tank, just like current Degas setups you just leave room in the system for coolant to expand.

50/50 coolant will boil at 230degF with no pressure in the system, engine normally runs at 190-200degF so no issue there, BUT inside the heads coolant will be 10-15deg hotter, still enough of a margin but if you see any signs of temp gauge climbing slow it down and let it cool down

With pressure 50/50 boils at 260degF

Water boils at 212degF(sea level) with no pressure, so straight water would not be a good idea with loose rad cap

As you go up in altitude any fluid boils at a lower temp, water and 50/50 boils at 2degF less for each 1,000ft
so at 3,000ft elevation water would boil at 206deg, coolant at 224deg, -6 degF, with no pressure

Last edited by RonD; 05-06-2018 at 03:04 PM.
RonD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2018, 11:25 AM   #34
fr7

Vehicle Year: 1998
Vehicle Make: ford
Vehicle Model: ranger
fr7 is on a distinguished road

Hey guys, thanks for the responses. I drove the truck to the cabin and it made it all the way. I left the cap loose even though some recommended not to, I'm somewhat stubborn lol.
The bad part was it started leaking out of a small hose somewhere, not the cap though, so I had to stop about 4 times to put water in it, but it never overheated. The wife was following me anyways but everything went good.
Maybe this weekend I can spend a few hours disassembling it and getting the motor ready to come out, my buddies are gonna let me use a hoist and engine stand and help me here and there. I Called the insurance company and told them to drop coverage on it and put it on the minivan so I think I'm good to go, hopefully it'll be done this fall, depends on how busy I am.
I'll post back with updates and/or questions, thanks everyone again, you guys rock!!!
fr7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2018, 11:32 AM   #35
Denisefwd93

Vehicle Year: 1993
Vehicle Model: Ranger XLT 4X4
I use this vehicle for: daily driver maybe off road someday
Denisefwd93 has a spectacular aura aboutDenisefwd93 has a spectacular aura aboutDenisefwd93 has a spectacular aura about

Good luck! This may be good time to look around for another engine if it's has high mileage. I don't know about the 3.0, but it seems there are plenty of 4.0s out there. I scored a engine transmission and T case a little over 3 years ago out of a wrecked 98 Ranger, was 62 K on the od! The transmission is now in the 94 extended cab I just picked up last month!

Edit,.

Just a mention, since I'm famous for overlooking the simplest of things have you actually replaced or checked the pressure release of the radiator cap? I'm not going to go read the whole thread but guess you probably did lol.

I'm starting to suspect on my truck, because it never warms up that it's the coolant temperature sender or sensor as it's called. It all just goes on doesn't it? on and on lol

Last edited by Denisefwd93; 05-10-2018 at 12:29 PM.
Denisefwd93 is offline   Reply With Quote