• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

1996 Ranger overheating after draining

750beater

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Swap it out if temp gauge climbs when idling, and you don't hear LOUD fan noise on Cold Start

Water pump with worn out impeller(fins) can do same thing, temp climbs at idle, but you would still have the loud noise from working fan clutch :)
Oh and I replaced the water pump a couple thousand miles ago. It basically had no teeth, which I figured explained the odd temp readings.

tomw

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
lima bean
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
vertical and above ground
Ummh, ok. Did not think I mentioned something stationery not needing a fan. The Lima can go quite a while before it overheats. The same radiator is installed with or without A/C being installed.
The sound you thought was water dripping was the oil draining back to the crankcase from the cam & cylinder head.(most likely)
If you drive down the road @30mph, you should not need a fan to be operable, and could likely remove it if all you did was drive, and never sit in traffic.
As noted, the fan clutch is used for the two things mentioned, and a normal fan could be installed if desired, though I would not. FWIW
tom

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals