• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

new to gearing

johndill

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Transmission
Manual
alright so im looking at re gearing, i have a 98 ranger 4.0 5 speed and i run 315/75 r16 my rear is a 31 spline 8.8, what are the lowest gears i can run and not have cleareance issues? i would like to run 4.56 but i am not sure if i would have to switch carriers or not, and if so i wouldn't be interested, i don't know a whole lot on axles so any advice is helpful, thanks

4x4junkie

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Bronco II
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
2.9L V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
35x12.50R15
There are no carrier breaks on your axle(s), you can run as deep as 4.88 gears (assuming your truck is 4WD, you didn't mention what you have).

4.88 would actually be ideal for the size tires you mentioned.

4.0B2

Supporting Member
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 v6
Transmission
Automatic
There are no carrier breaks on your axle(s), you can run as deep as 4.88 gears (assuming your truck is 4WD, you didn't mention what you have).

4.88 would actually be ideal for the size tires you mentioned.
agreed. :icon_thumby:
Junkie's word is alwasy good.

johndill

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Transmission
Manual
good news, and ya it's a 4x4, now is this something a guy who can put a clutch in can do? or should i have it done, i have limited tools and a clutch job is as adverse as i have done

4.0B2

Supporting Member
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 v6
Transmission
Automatic
gearing, although not real hard, is tedious... you need the proper tools to check backlash and so forth. Honestly if you've never set up gears before, I'd find someone who has and is willing to show you the procedure. By all means, learn the process. I'm just not sure it's something I'd advise without a guiding hand.

AgPete139

09/2014 OTOTM Winner
Supporting Member
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0L OHV
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
Solid Axle Swap 4x4
Total Lift
~9"
Tire Size
35"x12.50"x17"
+1. I've been wrenching for about 14 years, and I still don't touch gears (not because I don't have the tools, but because I'm scared). You need (yes, some can do without) a press that can remove some of the bearings, and you dial dial calipers that can measure 0.001" with accuracy. Plan on it taking a full day if it's your first time, and you will be putting the parts in, measuring, taking them out, measuring, adding shims, and repeating that process over and over until it's perfect. Yes, perfect. "Close enough" will leave you stranded after 200 miles. If the wear pattern isnt spot on, and if you dont give your gears the proper heating/cooling cycling immediately afterwards, you will end up with a grenaded rear end.

I pay a local mechanic $80-100 to do it. Totally worth it.

I have 35" tires on my 31 spline 8.8 and I run 4.88 gears. It's a great combo, and these gears are great for this size.

If you are cruising the highway mainly, then maybe 4.56 is a good idea. I cruise 70 mph at 3000 RPM. Gas mileage would be better if it was more around 2600 RPM. I do mainly city driving and dirt playing, and 4.88 is great with my 4.0L and 5 speed.

4.0B2

Supporting Member
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 v6
Transmission
Automatic
+1. I've been wrenching for about 14 years, and I still don't touch gears (not because I don't have the tools, but because I'm scared). You need (yes, some can do without) a press that can remove some of the bearings, and you dial dial calipers that can measure 0.001" with accuracy. Plan on it taking a full day if it's your first time, and you will be putting the parts in, measuring, taking them out, measuring, adding shims, and repeating that process over and over until it's perfect. Yes, perfect. "Close enough" will leave you stranded after 200 miles. If the wear pattern isnt spot on, and if you dont give your gears the proper heating/cooling cycling immediately afterwards, you will end up with a grenaded rear end.

I pay a local mechanic $80-100 to do it. Totally worth it.

I have 35" tires on my 31 spline 8.8 and I run 4.88 gears. It's a great combo, and these gears are great for this size.

If you are cruising the highway mainly, then maybe 4.56 is a good idea. I cruise 70 mph at 3000 RPM. Gas mileage would be better if it was more around 2600 RPM. I do mainly city driving and dirt playing, and 4.88 is great with my 4.0L and 5 speed.
I agree with all this EXCEPT.. the $80-$100 for someone to do it.. It's worth that for sure, IF you find someone to do it that CHEAP, jump on it. I wouldn't touch gears for $100... most places around here charge closer to $300 an axle (and that's the norm here).

PlumCrazy

Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
RBV's on Boost
2014 Truck of The Year
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
Solid Axle Swap 4x4
I'm a cheap ass and managed to setup three 8.8s so far, but I was setting up stock ratios, I know when you get into aftermarket ratios it can take a lot more tweaking. I have always lucked out using the crush washer that came in the housing I am putting the gears into and had perfect depth evry time

-PlumCrazy

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals