• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

2000 Ranger 5.0L swap

Derrick1970

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Triton V10
Transmission
Automatic
Hey Guys...I'm new here and I am looking for some advice. After doing a fair share of research and reading forums on here and other sites and getting the ok from the better half, I went out an bought a 1999 Explorer Eddie Bauer with the 5.0L and AWD as a donor vehicle for my 2000 Ranger. I got the motor, tranny and trandfer case out of the Explorer an in my truck. Still have a few mechanical things to button up on it but my main thing will be the wiring and figuring out what I need to do there. I.E. moving pins around or splicing wires. I do know I have an issue with the plug on the battery cable for what I assume is for the starter. Also I know I read somewhere on where the PATS module is located in the Ranger and Explorer but for the life of me can't remember where I saw that. If anyone can give me some pointers I would very much appreciate it.

win

U.S. Military - Veteran
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
For the most part, your conversion is essentially plug and play at the 42 pin engine/body harness connection. I've got some pin outs documented for both somewhere, will try and dig them out for you.

One place things do get different is with the starter/ac compressor/ac high pressure switch/alternator harness. The good news, most of the color codes are the same so splicing the Explorer needs into the Ranger is pretty intuitive.

Both your Ranger and the Explorer use the same PATS system and the ignition keys need to match the PATS module, not the engine ECU in your case. So, even that should be transparent.

Derrick1970

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Triton V10
Transmission
Automatic
yeah the starter/AC harness kinda threw me there when i saw the plug on it was different in shape.

Last edited:

win

U.S. Military - Veteran
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Only clear difference is at pin 13, you might need to add a ground wire

00 Ranger----------98/99 Expo
Circuit------Pin-----Circuit----Color------------Purpose
16-----------1-------16----Red Lt Green-------PCM Power to relay
11-----------2-------11----Tan/Yellow---------Tachometer data link
915----------3-------915---Pink/Lt Blue--------Data Link Connector pin 10
810----------4-------810---Red/Lt Green-------Cruise Ctrl
238----------5-------238---Dk Green/Yellow----Power From Fuel Pump Relay (Fuel pump on signal)
658----------6-------658---Pink/Lt Green-------Malfunction Indicator (CEL)
679----------7-------679---Gray/Black---------Speed output from VSS
37-----------8--------37---Yellow-------------Continuous Power
361----------9-------361---Red----------------Fuel Pump relay coil
29-----------10-------29---Yellow/White-------Fuel level sender
914----------11------914---Tan/Orange--------Data Link Connector pin 2
224----------12------224---Tan/White---------Instrument Cluster
none---------13------676---Pink/Orange--------VSS and PCM Ground
91-----------14-------91---Purple/White--------Canister Vent Solenoid coil
926----------15------926---Lt Blue/Orange------Fuel Pump relay coil
39-----------16-------39---Red/White-----------Engine temp gauge
791----------17------791---Red/Pink ------------Fuel Tank Pressure Transducer (Signal)
359----------18------359---Gray/Red------------Sensor reference voltage
351----------19------351---Brown/White---------Fuel Tank Pressure Transducer (Power supply)
199----------20------199---Lt Blue/Yellow--------Transmission Controls/Clutch Pedal Position Jumper
140----------21------140---Black/Pink------------reversing lamps at transmission range sensor
107----------22------107---Purple----------------Data Link Connector Pin 13
none---------23-------------------------------------------------------
329----------24-------329---Pink-----------------starter system at transmission range sensor
298----------25-------298---Purple/Orange-------reversing lamps at transmission range sensor
253----------26-------253---Dk Green/White------oil pressure gauge
none---------27-------305---Lt Blue/Pink----------Message Center pin 5
none---------28-------394---Orange/Black---------Automatic ride control module pin 6
784----------29-------784---Lt Blue/Black---------4WD Low Range indicator
331----------30-------331---Pink/Yellow-----------WOT A/C relay coil
1093---------31------1093---Tan/Red--------------Starter Ctrl via NSS
none---------32-------------------------------------------
463----------33-------463---Red/White------------Neutral switch for GEM
570----------34-------570---Black/White-----------Ground
347----------35-------347---Black/Yellow-----------A/C compressor control
34-----------36--------34---Lt Blue/Orange---------PCM Power from relay
348----------37-------348---Pink-------------------A/C on signal from switch panel
none---------38-------357---Yellow/White----------GEM Connection
191----------39-------191---Lt Green/Black---------Vapor Management Valve coil
911----------40-------911---White/Lt Green---------Transmission Control Indicator in dash (overdrive off lamp)
none---------41-------------------------------------------------------
none---------42-------------------------------------------------------

Derrick1970

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Triton V10
Transmission
Automatic
Pin 13 on my donor truck doesn't have anything in it either. So if I am reading things right then all should be good to go on that 42 pin plug then right?

Last edited:

win

U.S. Military - Veteran
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Pin 13 on my donor truck doesn't have anything in it either. So if I am reading things right then all should be good to go on that 42 pin plug then right?
I believe so. Pin 13 supplies a ground to the engine harness for the VSS and PCM.

At worst, you might need to add a ground wire to that pin.

I don't recall if the pin types are the same between the Ranger and Explorer secondary harnesses are the same.

I pulled a matched pair of plugs from both a scrap yard Ranger and Explorer to make a plug in adapter between the two harnesses. For the most part, made all the changes between the two plugs.

On my '96/'02 swap , the Expo 4 pin connector includes the both wires for the alternator and and A/C compressor clutch.

On the Ranger, the Alternator gets its "always on" wiring straight from the fuse box and the plug includes a heavy wire for the starter solenoid. On my Expo harnesses, the starter solenoid wire from the car was much lighter and went to a solenoid on the inner fender. Then a heavy wire went from the inner fender solenoid to the actual starter solenoid. I simply married the heavy wire for the starter in the Ranger to the heavy wire for the starter solenoid and bypassed the inner fender solenoid.

Derrick1970

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Triton V10
Transmission
Automatic
the 99 expo donor i bought doesn't have the solenoid on the fender. I just goes straight to the starter solenoid. So I was just thinkin about pulling the od harness from the ranger apart an trying to see if it would be lon enough to use on the 5.0L. I understand that the starter on the 4.0 is on the drivers side an the one on the 5.0 is on the passenger side but for me this might be the easiest way to get it hooked up right without messing with the pins in the plug. for me it is easier to extend wires rather than trying to get those pins out.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals