• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Best year for 351w???

QuakerShaker4242

Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
4.0l V6
Transmission
Automatic
Looking to a 351 in my ranger. I didn't know if there were certain years over others that were preferred. Running 46s. Did any 351's come with a c6? Advanced adapters didn't seem to have an adapter. just looking for the strongest combo here. Not really sure. Also looking to convert to manual if possible. I already have a bw150 now but I'm not sure if I want it anymore lol.
Did both 302 and 351 come with the AOD? What transmission is manual option of that? Lot's of questions just not sure where to look. Thanks.

shortzt

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
351's came with c6, personally for a strong manual trans and tcase, dependeing on what the truck is used for, but from what ive ran in full size trucks, a 351 backed by a zf5 with a np205, ive never broke that running 35s and beating on it

Hagan

08/2013 OTOTM Winner
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Best years were 94+ with F4TE casting number. These are roller blocks.

shortzt

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
Try to find an early lighting motor, if you are staying fuel injected

don4331

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Strongest 351W, if you are staying stock: C9OE - most power and most durable. Enough metal to do a 4 bolt if you want; forged rods drilled to lubricate/cool wrist pins/pistons. Rare...

Next best in marinized one.

Aftermarket blocks are stronger and work better with roller cams.

QuakerShaker4242

Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
4.0l V6
Transmission
Automatic
good info thanks. So what year and what f series and I gonna find these? I know one of you guys said 94+? I'm basically looking for what years had the best engine/tranny/transfercase combo to make the whole drivetrain swap as easy as possible. Even considering 5.0 so it will be more economical. I actually would like to get as much mpg as possible out of it. I get 12mpg with my 4L. 302 or 351w / AOD I was thinking. I don't want an all wheel drive transfercase and I don't want to may $500 from advanced adapters to mate the AOD to the BW1350. would like to stay fuel injected also.

Last edited:

QuakerShaker4242

Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
4.0l V6
Transmission
Automatic
good info thanks. So what year and what f series and I gonna find these? I know one of you guys said 94+? I'm basically looking for what years had the best engine/tranny/transfercase combo to make the whole drivetrain swap as easy as possible. Even considering 5.0 so it will be more economical. I actually would like to get as much mpg as possible out of it. I get 12mpg with my 4L. 302 or 351w / AOD I was thinking. I don't want an all wheel drive transfercase and I don't want to may $500 from advanced adapters to mate the AOD to the BW1350. would like to stay fuel injected also.

shortzt

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
If you want a 351 look for a f250 92? And newer 5 speed , that'll give you a 351, zf5, and possibly a 1345 Borg warner witch if I remember has the highest low range ford offered

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals