• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Newbie CB setup?

Twizzler09

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.2L/256CI V6
Transmission
Manual
So since I'm getting my F-150 here pretty soon, I'm already making plans to tinker with it, which includes CB radio. Problem is I know absolutely NOTHING about CB radios :D

So, with that in mind, what would everyone here recommend for a CB setup? Don't need anything too fancy or overly powerful, just a standard run-of-the-mill type thing. Really just going to be communicating with people on the other side of some fields, so no more than a mile or two distant. So, who knows what I need? :icon_thumby:

armadillon

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3.0L
Transmission
Automatic
A CB Radio, a handset, an antenna cable, an antenna, and an antenna mount. Power feed to the radio and you'll be fine. IIRC you never run the CB without the antenna attached. You don't need a big whip antenna for that distance.

I no longer have a CB, but IIRC (again) channel 19 was the most common channel and theres also an emergency channel. Be sure to look that up when you google this ;)

exbass94

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2006, 1994
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC, 4.0 OHV
Transmission
Automatic
Channel 19 is the "trucker" channel, or the most commonly used channel. Channel 9 is the emergency channel. The antenna is the most important part of the setup. The best radio in the world won't be able to communicate worth a damn if the antenna is crap or not installed properly. On the other hand, you can communicate very well even with a crappy radio if the antenna is set up well.

The best place to mount the antenna would be the roof. You want it to be as high as possible with nothing next to it. It should also ideally be as close to the center of the vehicle as possible. All antennas should be tuned after installation.

4x4junkie

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Bronco II
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
2.9L V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
35x12.50R15
^^^
Agreed.

I do have to add though even with the best full-length antenna, some "crappy" radios will still be just that. Many don't have good clear audio quality (sound muffled) which would still hinder communication. An aftermarket microphone can often help, though I usually try to get a better low-end radio to start with, such as the Uniden PRO-510XL or 520XL. These are barely any more $$$ than the cheapest radios out there, but have good clear audio even with the stock (supplied) microphone.

A little higher up the ladder are the Cobra 25LTD, 29LTD and the Uniden PC66XL or 68XL. All give you a genuine receive signal strength meter (not step indicator lights) and a few more controls such as a mic level adjustment and a display dimmer (the cobra 29 has a built-in SWR antenna checker as well).

Scrambler82

U.S. Military - Veteran
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford/EDGE
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
4.5" SL
Total Drop
WWWhhhaaattt !?!
Tire Size
33 x 12.50
Where to start…
Look at the Uniden 520, it is small, fits easily in small places, has just enough knobs to work.

Get a Wilson Antenna, FireStiks are good too, but don’t get too fancy unless you plan a lot more power later on.

If the antenna doesn’t come with coax get Belden RG-8X and use only enough to go from the antenna mount to the CB, leaving slack for corners. Run the coax away from the computer area.

Use Ring Lugs at the antenna to attach the coax, easiest to fix, easiest to run through the truck.

Run an extra ground strap from the antenna mounting area to the frame getting to bare metal at all connecting points; also use external tooth star washers and do not tighten too much and add some anti oxidation paste to the connection.

Run both the red, power, and the blk, negative, to the battery and twist them 10 turns per inch.

A power mic like an Astatic is worth a little extra in output modulation.

I will leave it at that except get the antenna tuned to the whole system for lowest SWR.

ltr

Scrambler82

U.S. Military - Veteran
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford/EDGE
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
4.5" SL
Total Drop
WWWhhhaaattt !?!
Tire Size
33 x 12.50
So since I'm getting my F-150 here pretty soon, I'm already making plans to tinker with it, which includes CB radio. Problem is I know absolutely NOTHING about CB radios :D

So, with that in mind, what would everyone here recommend for a CB setup? Don't need anything too fancy or overly powerful, just a standard run-of-the-mill type thing. Really just going to be communicating with people on the other side of some fields, so no more than a mile or two distant. So, who knows what I need? :icon_thumby:
Where did you go with this ?

Get one in ?

BullFrog13x4

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3.0 v6
Transmission
Manual
Hello,

I too am curious were you ended up with this.

I have been repairing cb/ham radios and building tube type amps for over 10 years now and would like to help in any way i can. The best radio and antenna setup verses the cheapest are two very opposite beasts, around here we call the low of the totem pole radios tampon boxes, because they resemble a tampon box, but don't let that deter you. I have seen those so called tampon boxes perform just as good as the big dog galaxy except for power of course. the best thing a new radio user can do is get a cheep NEW untouched radio and antenna with a decent mic and have someone that has some experience set the swr's (short wave resistance) on the antenna for them.

Personally i wont use anything in a mobile that does not have at least a 102" wip antenna and 2 pills, but i have been using radios my entire life and would NOT recommend that for a beginner. Mainly because if you are only going to use it on the trails you don't need to spend over $500.00 on it, and because most beginner radio ops end up frying there first few radios as a result of the golden screwdriver.

The 102" wip is by far the best mobile antenna as far as performance, but most people don't like using them because there big and sloppy. There was one time when i was going around a corner at a stop light and the antenna swung out past the side of my truck and taped on the windshield of the police cruiser sitting at the light to my left and of course i got a ticket for that. On the plus side i could easily talk to people many states away with that antenna.

So as a new radio opp, i would recommend not spending more that a couple hundred total on your first radio ant and mic setup. once you get into using it you might then op for a "bigger" radio as we all seem to do, when that happens be prepared to spend in excess of $500 just for the radio.

happy, 73's

Bullfrog13x4

Last edited:

4x4junkie

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Bronco II
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
2.9L V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
35x12.50R15

Scrambler82

U.S. Military - Veteran
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford/EDGE
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
4.5" SL
Total Drop
WWWhhhaaattt !?!
Tire Size
33 x 12.50
The 102" wip is by far the best mobile antenna as far as performance, but most people don't like using them because there big and sloppy. There was one time when i was going around a corner at a stop light and the antenna swung out past the side of my truck and taped on the windshield of the police cruiser sitting at the light to my left and of course i got a ticket for that. On the plus side i could easily talk to people many states away with that antenna.
For a thread that the OP isn’t responding too, it has a few people interested.

IMHO… the 102” whip will work , once tuned, with any CB, it will handle any amount of power that is put through it and it looks OK, up straight or folded over.
Is it the “end all” to CB Antennas, maybe back 30 years but today it is hard to beat a good Wilson antenna, either their 1000 or 5000 series and for limited $$$ there is the Lil' Will.
Most of the fiberglass antenna of today have a noise reduction effect when hooked up, why not sure but the newer antennas do it.
Most Off Road Parks will not allow a 102” whip on the trails, another reason not to get one.
The 102” whips need an HD Mount and a 6” spring to get them to a full ¼ Wave length for the CB frequencies.
We can go on with more but I think the idea I am trying to say is look at newer technology before settling on the 102” whip.

So as a new radio opp, i would recommend not spending more that a couple hundred total on your first radio ant and mic setup. once you get into using it you might then op for a "bigger" radio as we all seem to do, when that happens be prepared to spend in excess of $500 just for the radio.
A Uniden XL520 runs about $60, a High Quality Wilson Antenna will run around $70, Belden Coax, RG-8X approximately $1 / ft. Some sort of noise canceling mic, if you need it will run around another $80 but worth it to me for a stock CB setup.
So for around $200 you can get into the CB world and have some fun.

As we all have been saying spend the money on the Antenna and coax and get the Antenna tuned to the CB System / Vehicle installed on, a must for the best performance.

Side Bar: Everyone has their favorite antenna, either a series or a particular antenna but the newer the technology the better the performance will be.
If you for some reason decide to good with a high powered setup… there are higher priced antennas out there that will actually increase the RF Output of the system but if you are sticking to stock output don’t go overboard.

luck to ya, Twizzler09, hope you got your F150 and have this CB installed already.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals