• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

no tail and dash lights

twoiron

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
I have a 1998 Ranger that the tail lights and instrument lights have quit working. The problem started when the left turn indicator stayed on and when the brakes were applied all the dash lights dimmed.Then I lost the tail and instrument lights but the brake and turn signals work perfectly. I have checked all fuse and relays and the headlight switch and dash dimmer switch are new. There is supposed to be anther relay box BEHIND THE DASH containing relays for parking lights and dimmer switch between the radio and steering column,but I can'seem to find it. Can any one tell me how to access these relays?

XLTsplash

Ford Technician
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
2.3L
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Pull the radio out then look to the lower left of the radio opening for the relay block.

bmerr98

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 X
Transmission
Manual
My credo
Leave it better than you found it.
No dash, tail or front markers. All other lights working

Saw this post while searching for an answer on my own 1998 that was suddenly without dash, tail, or front marker lights. Still had headlights, stop and turn signals. In cab fuse (#11 - 15 amp) was good.

Checked the switch against a new one and they were the same as far as continuity goes.

Read in another post about another 15 amp fuse under the hood. Checked with a test light, and voila! Found a bad 15 amp fuse. Replaced the fuse and all is well again.

Thought it was worth resurrecting this post in case someone else had this problem.

edward2016

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.5l
Transmission
Manual
My credo
do what you do and do it well
Saw this post while searching for an answer on my own 1998 that was suddenly without dash, tail, or front marker lights. Still had headlights, stop and turn signals. In cab fuse (#11 - 15 amp) was good.

Checked the switch against a new one and they were the same as far as continuity goes.

Read in another post about another 15 amp fuse under the hood. Checked with a test light, and voila! Found a bad 15 amp fuse. Replaced the fuse and all is well again.

Thought it was worth resurrecting this post in case someone else had this problem.
I have the same issue but instead on that fuse 11 it blows everytime i turn my lights on. Any suggestion. My friend who was helping me put a 25 amp in #11 and started the truck and smoke came out of my dash. Do i need to go to that relay?

brentmc

Reaction score
I'm pretty sure smoke under the dash after putting in a larger fuse indicates I short. I think your best bet is to start tracing wires and find where is grounded out at.

edward2016

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.5l
Transmission
Manual
My credo
So do I begin taking my dash apart?

edward2016

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.5l
Transmission
Manual
My credo
UPDATE: remembered that my cig lighter doesn't work. Unplugged it replaced fuse 11 and magic! dash and tail lights work!

brentmc

Reaction score
So it appears that the lighter is shorted out.

edman1000

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3L
Transmission
Manual
Today, coming into work, lost all dash lights. '96 ranger... well used ranger I might add... When I got out at the Post office, I noticed no taillights or running lights (parking lights). It was early enough that there wasn't many cars on the road, so I made the mad dash to work. Got into the parking lot at work, Pulled the #3 15amp fuse for the running lights/dash lights... blown. Didnt have a 15 so I popped in a 5amp to see what it'd do... Popped right away. Had a 30amp, put that in and turned them on, they came on but were dim. Only left them on for a few seconds, pulled the fuse back out... No trailer light pigtail hooked up... any Ideas were to start?

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals