• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Dana 44 gear pattern check please!

97-cobra/ranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Trying to get some opinions on the pattern of my Dana 44. Its A High Pinion If that matters. 4.88 gears. I think my pinion is too deep but I'd like some opinions. Backlash is .006"

UrbanRedneckKid

Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Manual
Yup... Pinion needs pulled back.
...mmmm Powr-Lok. Can't wait to rebuild mine and get it in.

Sent from my HTCONE using Tapatalk

97-cobra/ranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I'll sell u this one. Fresh rebuild with extra clutches according to the guy i bought the axle from. And I believe it as the whole axle was spotless and just rebuilt with all new everything, I'm just switching gears. I just switched the ring gear to an open carrier so i can put an a aussie in it tonight.

97-cobra/ranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
How far off does it look. Like .005" change or more?

UrbanRedneckKid

Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Manual
Why in the world would you do that!!!??? No no no, put it back.

Those carriers are weak, and when they go, all the money you put in that axle is trashed.

The Powr-Lok is stronger case wise, and it's guts are stronger and more reliable than the Aussie.
Btw it's not just a clutch type LSD either, through the ramps actuated by the clutch packs, it engages actual teeth for practically full lockup, until the load is released. It will allow you to turn, yet lock very similar to a locker when locked. IIRC stock is 2 differential turns till lock, and with the aggressive clutch kit it's 3/4 turn till lock, no clue on stacked clutches like you say you have.

Oh, as for mine needing rebuilt, I was referring to the entire front axle including some repairs to the housing... All because I had that fnnnnnn weak open carrier in there. Brand brand new 5.13s trashed.

UrbanRedneckKid

Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Manual
How far off does it look. Like .005" change or more?
I'd start with pulling .005, if nothing else it'll give an idea of how much more it needs to go.

You did set it up with only the oil slinger behind the inner pinion bearing, and the shims under the inner race in the housing, right?

The opposite way is the old-school way, way more of a PITA, and the wrong way according to current Dana, Ford, and Mopar service bulletins.

BRUTUS_T_HOG

Article Contributor
ASE Certified Tech
TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3L
Transmission
Manual
Pinion is too deep and it also looks like the backlash is too tight. Your pattern should be centered on the gear teeth

UrbanRedneckKid

Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Manual
Yes, but don't touch the side shims till the pinion depth is set. Pulling the pinion back will move the pattern out and increase backlash.

97-cobra/ranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I'd start with pulling .005, if nothing else it'll give an idea of how much more it needs to go.

You did set it up with only the oil slinger behind the inner pinion bearing, and the shims under the inner race in the right?

The opposite way is the old-school way, way more of a PITA, and the wrong way according to current Dana, Ford, and Mopar service bulletins.

yes, shims are behind the inner pinion race. I posted a thread awhile back about the traclok trying to get info on it vs an aussie locker but only got a few responses leaning towards the ausssie. I guess I'll try it out since I already have it and switching a carrier is easy.

UrbanRedneckKid

Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Manual
I love my rear Aussie, but that's in a 4 pinion 9" carrier. It's the junk d44 carrier I'd be worried about.

And if you asked about Aussie vs tracklok and not a aussie vs powr-lok you got the wrong answers anyway.

Last edited:

97-cobra/ranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Haven't had time til today to mess with it again. The backlash is a little tight cuz I didn't have enough shims. I'll get some more and get it right but I ran a pattern anyway. What about this pattern?

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals