• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

On a scale of 1 to 10...

Lost Bushman

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
How bad did I just screw up? 2.9 to 4.0 clutch swap. I got everything in and realized that I drove the pilot bearing into the crank, not the flywheel like the tech article says.

It's two forward, three back with this thing. Aside from having to pull everything off, go buy the tool to pull it out, any tips or tricks that can make this less painful? Heat? Grease?

Sent from my Casio G'zOne Commando 4G, it's the John Connor of Smartphones. You cannot kill it...

Using Tapatalk.

4x4junkie

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Bronco II
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
2.9L V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
35x12.50R15
I've read a good tip to get a pilot bearing out is to pack the cavity full of grease, then take a rod that fits tight within the bearing and give it a good whack with a hammer. The hydraulic pressure created by the rod going into the grease will drive out the bearing.

Note: I haven't actually tried this method myself, but it does make sense.

Captain Ledd

Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1984, 1997
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
302, 2.3
Transmission
Manual
My credo
If you're not making mistakes, you're not learning.
Me and a friend tried that, didn't have any success.

We had a bearing, and it just mushed out between the rollers. For a BUSHING it might work a little better, but you'll still need an uber tight fit.

Aside from using a jig saw or a dremel and carving a slit in it and busting it out, I unfortunately don't have any other suggestions other than the proper puller and hoping you don't damage it.

Lost Bushman

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
The grease method sounds great in theory, but so does communism. I'd be hard pressed to find a rod laying around in that diameter. I bought the harbor freight puller tool, We'll see how it works out tomorrow morning.

Sent from my Casio G'zOne Commando 4G, it's the John Connor of Smartphones. You cannot kill it...

Using Tapatalk.

Lost Bushman

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
Ok... so this is confusing.
The hole in the flywheel is a great deal bigger than the one in the crank and bigger than the bearing. (Plus the HF puller is too big to get in there)
Bearing in 2.9 crank...

Measurement of crank I.D....

Center of 4.0 flywheel...

Measurement of flywheel I.D....

What's the deal here?

Using Tapatalk.

adsm08

Senior Master Grease Monkey
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
I don't know what to tell you about your holes except that maybe it was mis-machinced.

As for the pilot bearing deal, leave the one in the crank and just put one in the flywheel.

I ran that way for years because when I did the swap I couldn't get the old one out of the crank. Just said eff it, it's not in the way, and put the other one in.

I don't think I even have a pilot bearing in my BII right now.

SenorNoob

TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
1.5" Front + 4" Rear
Tire Size
245-70-R16
Wait, so the bearing is in different places depending on which engine you have? Cause I used the 2.9 flywheel on the 4.0. By the sounds of this I'm pretty sure I don't have a pilot bearing......

adsm08

Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
Yeah, the 2.9 bearing goes in the crank, the 4.0 sits in the flywheel.

That's why I don't have one in the BII. The guy I bought the engine from didn't have one in it, and I was under the gun to get the thing back together. NAPA needed 2 days to get one, time I didn't have, and I couldn't get the other one out of the old engine.

Bushman, have you tried grease? Fill the pocket of the crank with wheel bearing grease, stick a socket that just fits through the bearing in, with an extension in it from the wrong end, and hit the extension with a hammer. The grease won't compress, but it should push the bearing back out.

Lost Bushman

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
I could try that to get the bearing out, but it won't make a difference, the flywheel inner diameter is too big for the bearing that came with the clutch kit, which is for a 4.0....

Using Tapatalk.

Lost Bushman

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
Is it possible that Luk designed their 4.0 flywheel to use the 2.9 style bearing? Because the ID on the flywheel is large enough to allow the entire splined section of the pilot shaft to pass through it. Nobody at any of the local parts places seem to have a bearing that will fit the inside diameter an outside diameter needs for this flywheel. The part number is right but I don't think it's intended to use the in the flywheel bearing. Am I wrong?

Using Tapatalk.

adsm08

Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
Just don't worry about it.

Lost Bushman

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
I can't dude!

You don't have any vibration issues with no bearing in place?

Using Tapatalk.

adsm08

Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
I have exactly two issues with my Bronco II.

1) Lack of power as compared to the 4.0 in the Ranger.

2) No arm rests.

Lost Bushman

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
Lmao...

You're the pro, man. I really don't have much of a choice unless I want to spend hours searching for a bearing that may not exist. Thanks for your insight.

Using Tapatalk.

4x4junkie

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Bronco II
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
2.9L V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
35x12.50R15
Is it possible that Luk designed their 4.0 flywheel to use the 2.9 style bearing? Because the ID on the flywheel is large enough to allow the entire splined section of the pilot shaft to pass through it. Nobody at any of the local parts places seem to have a bearing that will fit the inside diameter an outside diameter needs for this flywheel. The part number is right but I don't think it's intended to use the in the flywheel bearing. Am I wrong?

Using Tapatalk.
There's a spacer or sleeve that presses into the hole in the flywheel, and then the pilot bearing presses into the spacer.

It's been some years since I did mine, so I can't remember if the spacer was included with the new flywheel, the clutch kit, or if I pulled the existing spacer from the 2.9L flywheel, but it was there when I did my 4.0L clutch swap using a Luk clutch & flywheel. Not having that spacer is why the hole is so big.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals