• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Installing freeze plugs on 89 Bronco II

smykals

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
I have to install some freeze plugs on my motor. Two are located below the spark plugs on the passenger. One is located on the front driver side of the motor. I really do not want to have to remove to many parts to install them. I have the two on the side half way in, but can't drive them in all the way. Has anyone ever used a flex handle break bar with a socket to install freeze plus? Any success?

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Well "freeze plugs" are not really to protect against a cracked block if it freezes, block would still crack if it froze that hard.

The holes are there to remove the sand after casting the engine block, so they are casting holes, the plugs in these holes the factory uses are cheap, which is why they use them, and also why they can rust out.

The reason I bring this up is that you can use the rubber expansion plugs instead of the "pound it in plugs"
All auto parts stores sell them in whatever sizes you need, and they install with a wrench or socket.
And no these are not "less" protection.
So on the hard to get to casting holes use the rubber plugs, on the easy to get to holes use the cheaper pound in plugs

Last edited:

smykals

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
I've been told that the rubber plugs do not last long. So that is why I am trying to avoid using them

PetesPonies

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Engine Size
2.3l
Transmission
Manual
Getting to core plugs is difficult in many engines. YOu may need to support the engine and remove an engine mount, and/or lift the engine some, etc. To install a large socket that fits the size of the plug if you do not have a seal install tool, which also works. Make sure you apply a smidge of sealant and clean the hole really well first.

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
I've been told that the rubber plugs do not last long. So that is why I am trying to avoid using them
Used them for years and years, never had one fail, so not sure where someone would get that info.
They will outlast the engine.

The pound in plugs are just the cheaper way to plug the holes which is why they are used at the factory.

Last edited:

adsm08

Senior Master Grease Monkey
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
I had a rubber one in my LH head for years. I put it in around 125K, and it was still there and not leaking when I replaced the engine at 205K, about 10 years later.

The first rubber one I put in failed right away because I didn't put it in far enough and cut the rubber when I tightened it down.

70roadrunner

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
plymouth
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
ive used a socket with extensions many times. just make sure you are driving them in straight, and use a little sealant on them

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals