• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

help setting up carb....???

ford1386

V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
i have a 94 ranger i put a 302 in with a holley 670 street avenger and an msd ignition and if the truck sits for a week or so and i go out to start it, it wont start. and i have a hard time getting it to start but if i go out every day it starts right up. and i have a hesitation on throttle opening i've tried changing squirters, changed the power valve, changed jets numerous times nothing is making it better at all. I called mcnew's performance in dillsburg,pa and they said they have a guy they pay to come down from lewistown and he is really good at setting these up........... but they want like $350. I was hoping to find someone that could help me out for less, because its probably something that can be fixed in 10 mins but i dont know that much about carbs..........

kimcrwbr1

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
2.8l
Transmission
Automatic
The hard start sounds like the float bowl vent is allways open and the fuel evaporates out of it and also are you sure you have the wet float level correct. I cant help you on the carb but someone here can just hang out and save a bunch of money maybe someone close to you can come over and dial you in.

kimcrwbr1

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
2.8l
Transmission
Automatic
Oh yea try blueovaltrucks.com a sister to this forum

cody93

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
did u pump the gas pedal a few times before starting it? gas probly evaporated out of the bowl. i know i sound stupid, but hey, just wondering.

originalnitro

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
What is your timing set at? Most of the carb problems i've seen is an ignition prob.

Psychopete

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
Definitely check you basics, like timing as suggested, fuel pressure, float levels, etc. But if everything were right, seems like your accelerator pump needs some tweaking. Can't just mess with different squriters, you also need to test with different pump cams in different positions since they work together. Check out some of the videos on Holley.com, they are some help.

fordmike1

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1994 & 1983
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
5.0l
Transmission
Automatic
i have a 94 ranger i put a 302 in with a holley 670 street avenger and an msd ignition and if the truck sits for a week or so and i go out to start it, it wont start. and i have a hard time getting it to start but if i go out every day it starts right up. and i have a hesitation on throttle opening i've tried changing squirters, changed the power valve, changed jets numerous times nothing is making it better at all. I called mcnew's performance in dillsburg,pa and they said they have a guy they pay to come down from lewistown and he is really good at setting these up........... but they want like $350. I was hoping to find someone that could help me out for less, because its probably something that can be fixed in 10 mins but i dont know that much about carbs..........
Is your accelerator pump leaking fuel? Sounds like it leaks out all of the fuel over time causing it to be hard to start after a week. The hesitation could be from the bad accelerator pump also. Take your aircleaner off and work the throttle as you are looking inside the front two venturi's. You should see gas squirt as soon as you move the accelerator lever. If you dont that could be your hesitation problem and posibley your leak draining the float bowl. Check it out and let us know what you find.

originalnitro

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
If you can check vacuum at idle and post reading. Also what discharge nozzle,pump cam,power valve,and jet are you running?

ford1386

V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
If you can check vacuum at idle and post reading. Also what discharge nozzle,pump cam,power valve,and jet are you running?
18 inches of vacuum at idle so I put a 9.5 inch power valve, stock holley jets 68 in primary. squirter,cam,discharge nozzle is factory holley. I tried different combinations of jets and discharge nozzles but nothing makes it better just worse. But I adjusted the choke spring cap and truck starts right up so that is good prolly just need to adjust it once in the spring and once in the winter but still a hesitation....

Sasquatch_Ryda

Ford Technician
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
Forum Staff - Retired
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
Solid Axle Swap 4x4
Tire Size
40s
Personally, I think you have too big of a carb period. People are constantly over carb'ing these engines which will cause a bog/hesitation under acceleration.

A 550-600cfm carb is MORE than enough for a 302.

Will

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Toyota
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
A 550-600cfm carb is MORE than enough for a 302.
A small carb is ALWAYS easier to set up than a big one. The fuel metering signal is much stronger on a small carb.

At 5,500rpm and 100% volumetric efficiency a 480cfm carb would be perfect. You don't have 100% ve. After all of those turns and bumps and valves closing a surging the air back and forth you would be lucky to see 80% on a good set of heads at the rpms we really run. A 390cfm would be great on that. A 500cfm AFB would be perfect.

So why is your carb not working well? It's too damn big. Try to blow through a 2' section of 3" pipe and see if you can feel the air on the other end of it. The carb needs to feel ther air. It draws off of air moving through. A carb doesn't force anything--the engine does the work. Does a little 302 move enough air to create a reliable signal in a 670cfm carb?

No.

I'm sure it could be crutched to run okay, but it will never have crisp response and you will not need the secondaries. You need a carb with will have the throttle plates standing wide open at full power. Forget all the homerisms about carbs. You have to drive this on the street. I would find something around 400cfms.

I could get that running, what you have, but it won't run as well as the right carb would.

originalnitro

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
I ran a 670 for over a year on my old 306 it ran damn good and got 18-20 mpg. You might want to try my old setup timing was set at 15 degrees, run a 35 discharge nozzle, orange pump cam set in #2 hole,and 70 main jets. Have you checked your timing?

Psychopete

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
Have you even tried anything that anyone has suggested? Changing your jets is not going to make a damn bit of difference on your off idle hisitation problem. Squirters work with accelerator pump cams, you need to be tweaking them in both at the same time. Changing either by itself won't get you too far anytime soon.

ford1386

V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I ran a 670 for over a year on my old 306 it ran damn good and got 18-20 mpg. You might want to try my old setup timing was set at 15 degrees, run a 35 discharge nozzle, orange pump cam set in #2 hole,and 70 main jets. Have you checked your timing?
My 302 is also bored .030 over but my timing is at 14 degrees now but I was gonna try advancing it a little. If that doesn't work then I'll try ur setup....would it help me at all to change cam positions now?

And on top of that the holley street avenger carb is dry flow tested whereas most carbs are wet flow tested to get their cfm so the holley street avenger 670 is really only a 600cfm

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals