• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Cutting off after about 5 min

cdedwards129

Reaction score
Maybe yall can help turn me in the right Direction with my ranger. I have a 93 model with a 3.0 in it... the truck will start up fine and run for about 5 min with no problems. But after about 5 min it will cut off, when it starts back up it will run rich and cut off soon as I hit the gas, the truck will do this for two or three times back to back before it starts to idle right and run fine the rest of the day. I'm just needing help to figure out what is wrong with it...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ericbphoto

Overlander in development
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
U.S. Military - Veteran
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Engine Size
3.0L
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
6"
Tire Size
35"
My credo
In theory, theory and practice are the same. In practice, they are different.
You need to see if there are any trouble codes. They might help aim you in the right direction.

When the engine starts up cold, it idles with certain settings, ignoring feedback information. This is open loop control. Once it gets warm enough, it switches yo closed loop control and uses feedback from sensors to run at idle. So it sounds like something isn't reading right when the engine is warm. Or it isn't switching to closed loop because it isn't seeing that the engine is warm. Engine coolant temp sensor, idle air control, MAF, etc. Are things to check. There are lots of threads here with writeups on this. RonD has written this up a bunch of times. Pulling the trouble codes will help.

Eric B

cdedwards129

Reaction score
Ok thanks man I'm going to go check that out now

cdedwards129

Reaction score
Ok so I changed the maf and the bwd sensor so far so good

cdedwards129

Reaction score
Still haven't got it fixed so now on to the fuel pump and them o2 sensor

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
MAF wouldn't cause that issue and it wouldn't "run fine the rest of the day" after that

"Ok so I changed the maf and the bwd sensor so far so good "
Not sure what bwd sensor is?

O2 sensors need to be changed every 100k-150k miles or so, but not your problem

Neither is the fuel pump

Your description seems to indicate a temperature issue, it takes an engine about 5 to 8 minutes to warm up to operating temp.
Fuel injection can't use a Choke Plate, but a Cold Engine still needs to be "choked" so it can run.
So the computer runs Choke Mode when engine is cold, Rich Fuel mix, high idle, advanced spark timing.
As engine warms up computer slowly reduces the idle RPMs and leans out fuel mix.

How does the computer "know" the engine temp?
ECT(engine coolant temp) sensor, a 2 wire sensor, not connected to dash temp gauge, thats a 1 wire SENDER.
ECT sensor is only used by the computer, it is a long shot that this is your problem.
Just FYI, outside of the O2 sensors wearing out, sensor rarely fail, they are often replaced, lol, but rarely fail.
So for the $5-$8 an ECT sensor costs it is easier to replace it than test it.

1993 3.0l still used a distributor and TFI module for spark.
TFI modules would get heat sensitive, and cause stalling and rough running, although not that likely after a 5 minute run, but next stop is the computer so...........I would test it
TFI info here: http://www.therangerstation.com/tech_library/TFI_Diagnostic.shtml

cdedwards129

Reaction score
I ordered a new TFI module today going to change it out tomorrow when it come in...only 30bucks so I thought why the hell not... also ordered a fuel pump and new filter just cause it is a cheap part also. The truck set for 10 years in a barn before I got it and started working on it

pjtoledo

Supporting Member
U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Fords
Engine Size
3.0 2.3
after sitting that long I would be worried about corroded wires and connectors. or rodent damage to the wires.

cdedwards129

Reaction score
I have thought about that but all the wires look good that's why I'm just replacing sensors that it could be first

cdedwards129

Reaction score
thank u every one..... I got it fixed this morning and it turns out it was the fuel pump

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Good work

Thanks for the update

Very unusual for a fuel pump to be intermittent like that, usually they just stop working one day.
But heating up after 5 minutes could cause thermal limiter(if there is one) in the electric motor to shut off the motor, then after cool down it can run again

cdedwards129

Reaction score
Ok so guys it turns out not to be the fuel filter..... I have changed the temp sensor, the fuel pump and filter, the maf, the tps, the air flow temp sensor, both 02 sensors, and the tfi sensor. I'm out of ideals and don't know why it's still doing this.

JP02XLT

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
When it quits are you not getting fuel or spark, that is what you need to know

JP02XLT

modelageek

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Just for giggles pull the vacuum line off the fuel pressure regulator (it's on the fuel rail) do you see or smell gas in it?

Also make sure you replaced the ECT sensor and not the one for the temp gauge.
Sent from my SM-J320V using Tapatalk

Last edited:

cdedwards129

Reaction score
The fuel pressure regulator is good I'm checking fuel or slack when it shuts off again... but it only shuts off and acts up in the morning after sitting all night. But it can sit all day at work and not do this

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals