• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Need help wih tranny

ParamedicDan

EMT / Paramedic
U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Hey all I am new to the forum and need some help. I actually am not the owner of the ranger my baby brother is. He just bought the truck. when we got it home i put the obdII code reader on it just in case. There were no check engine lights or any other important lights on in the cluster. I got 3 codes and took care of 1 already. I still get P0705 (Transmission Range Sensor Circuit Malfunction (PRNDL Input) and P0708 (Transmission Range Sensor "A" Circuit High. I did get under the check and check the range sensor and got the plug seated a little better but have not had a chance to drive and check it. On the transmission I noticed a speed sensor missing but the truck has speedometer that works. Could the output shaft have been changed and that sensor is not needed? I don't have any prior information on the truck or how well it was kept up. I looked and could not find a harness that would go to that sensor. Is there any harm in leaving like it is?

Attachments

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Welcome to TRS :)

Rangers got electronic speedometers in 1995, they also got the new 4R44E automatic that year

1998 to 2000 Rangers used the rear axle ABS sensor for ABS of course, but that signal was also sent to the GEM(generic electronics module) where it was corrected for tire size and then sent to the speedometer, computer and Cruise control.

The speedometer cable hole on the 4R44E transmission was used until 1997, but should be blocked off or gone on 1998 and up transmission

The tag in the picture has 95GT so it is a 1995 transmission, not original 1998 transmission, which would explain the speedo cable hook up opening

Last edited:

ParamedicDan

EMT / Paramedic
U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Welcome to TRS :)

Rangers got electronic speedometers in 1995, they also got the new 4R44E automatic that year

1998 to 2000 Rangers used the rear axle ABS sensor for ABS of course, but that signal was also sent to the GEM(generic electronics module) where it was corrected for tire size and then sent to the speedometer, computer and Cruise control.

The speedometer cable hole on the 4R44E transmission was used until 1997, but should be blocked off or gone on 1998 and up transmission

The tag in the picture has 95GT so it is a 1995 transmission, not original 1998 transmission, which would explain the speedo cable hook up opening
Thank you so much. While im mechanically inclined im not a mechanic so was not that familiar with this model ranger. With the old speedo cable thats there will that be sufficient to prevent any leaks or future issues?

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
I don't see any leak there now and would expect no future leaks with the way it is.

Good page to bookmark here: http://www.therangerstation.com/tech_library/index.shtml

Loads of Ranger info there

Link to that page is found at the top of every page here, just under the main top banner

You will see: Home........Ford Ranger Forum........Tech Articles.............

Tech Articles is that page

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals