• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

gurggaling sound in coolant system

stuntman

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Transmission
Manual
I have a 96 ranger,I changed out the thermostat,now I have a gurggaling sound in the coolant system.Is it an air pocket? It also starts to get hot when I am stopped at a red light. Then when I go to take off it starts to cool back down.

Last edited:

ericbphoto

Overlander in development
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
U.S. Military - Veteran
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Engine Size
3.0L
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
6"
Tire Size
35"
My credo
In theory, theory and practice are the same. In practice, they are different.
I read a few threads a while back that indicate that air bubbles in the coolant are common on these engines. It has something to do with how the heater hoses run. I haven't had the problem yet. Get the air out and see what happens to the temperature anomalies you are seeing.

I installed a coolant flush "tee" in one of my heater hoses. That gives me a place to vent the air when I fill the system. The flush and fill kits at your local parts store only cost a few bucks.

Eric B

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Remove rad cap
Loosen and pull off either heater hose at the fire wall
If there is a Valve on the heater hose push it open(move it) with your finger, it is vacuum operated you can't hurt it.
That should let any air out
Put heater hose back on
Top up Rad

Gurgling sound usually means hot spots from air OR lack of cooling.
When engine is shut off coolant stops flowing, no water pump, so if there was any air or hot spots the coolant in that spot will flash to steam, making that gurgling noise

Leave rad cap off and start COLD ENGINE, no coolant should be pushed out, if so you may have a cracked head or blown head gasket, more on that later
let engine run a bit and and top it up, put cap back on

Getting hot at idle when stopped is classic sign of failed Fan clutch, after engine is warmed up, 10-20 min drive, shut off engine and pop the hood
Try to spin the fan, it should NOT spin, you should be able to move it but it will be stiff, hard to move, if not then replace fan clutch

head/gasket issue
get a latex glove or balloon
Remove rad cap, COLD engine
Remove Overflow hose from rad cap opening, plug this opening with vacuum cap, or gum or putty or ????
Put latex glove over rad cap opening and seal it with a rubber band, or put balloon over rad cap opening

Disable SPARK, unplug coil pack(s), you want a No Start

Crank engine over and WATCH the Glove
If it bounces then you do have a cracked head or head gasket issue
If it just lays there then you do NOT

Last edited:

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals