• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

speedometer bounce and is 5-10 MPH off.

wolfman42

Reaction score
Hello y'all. Not sure if there is a better location for this question or not. But here goes.
So, I have a problem I have been chasing down. Any speed above 40 MPH my needle bounces from 2mph to as far at 10 MPH over. (Using GPS to figure this out) it does not seem to be effected by smooth road or bumpy road. It does seem to get a little better when pressing the accelerator. Also it seems to be better when it is cold out.
Now, what I have done so far is rule out the rear differential sensor.(disconnected it and it still had the problem and the ABS light came on) The worm gear in my transfer case (it looked good still) the sensor that connects to the T-case worm gear. (reads within specs on my multy-meter) I've replaced the cluster that has the needle attached to it, but not the one with the odometer, I took the two half's apart and replaced just the needle motor section. I've cleaned and used Dielectric grease on the contacts to the cluster, sensors and the wireing harness conector under the car near the driver seat. Also tested continuity from T-case sensor conector to wiring harness connection, it seemed fine.

I doubt it's the printed circuit board holding the clusters behind the dash, I had to replace that once for intermittent speedometer readings, going from any speed down to 0 abruptly. It was a crack in the printed circuit.

My main question is this, is there a computer brain that uses the t-case sensor for input and makes an output for the speedo? If so, where is it and do you think that may be the problem?

In have a 1997, 4.0 OHV, 4 door, 4X4 manual with the rear diff off of a 93 I think. It was like that when I bought it. It's nearly all stock or OEM parts.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Patrick

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mazda
Transmission
Automatic
Did you clean the connector on the firewall? It goes to the gauge cluster. I had an erratic tac and a bouncy speedometer and that fixed it. Mine was a 94 ranger.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

wolfman42

Reaction score
I'll look into that. Thank you. Can you describe where the connector is? As in, driver side or passenger, lower or upper? Or near anything?

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Patrick

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mazda
Transmission
Automatic
Mine was right behind the instrument cluster in the engine bay (drivers side). It was attached to the firewall and was one of those off-white roundish ones.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
1997 still used the old speedo cable setup at the transfer case, so gear could be changed to correct speed for different tires or axle ratios

Rear axle sensor was just for ABS in 1997

There was no need for GEM or Computer to Correct Speed since the gear could be changed to do that

In 1998 and up GEM was used with rear axle sensor to run speedo

You could try another VSS at the transfer case
Did you try to move the worm gear with screwdriver or ??, to make sure it was Locked onto the shaft, also that the Driven gear on the VSS was tight

The VSS wiring runs to speedometer but also GEM, Cruise control and Computer, so has splices
One of the VSS wires should test as a Ground, ohm it to the frame
The other wire is the one that will have the splices and run to Speedo, GEM, Cruise and Computer

Wiring diagram here: http://ww2.justanswer.com/uploads/FO/fordguy4u/2013-05-22_172049_a1.jpg

Last edited:

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals