• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

1994 Ranger V6 4.0L - Code 111

akoz

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
Any idea how to clear an engine code of 111?
It is there on the first 2 "hard fault" sequences.
The next 2 (memory fault) is a 512 which is me disconnecting the battery to get rid of the crazy "system checks OK" (111) code.
You would think that a system OK would be to turn off the check engine light!

I was also looking for a Powertrain Control/Emission Diagnosis manual and the ones that I see online (eBay) say 1994 Cars/Trucks but for OBDII. I thought this was a EEC IV system so I don't know if this is the right manual?

ratdude747

Supporting Member
Article Contributor
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Tire Size
215/70R15
Any idea how to clear an engine code of 111?
It is there on the first 2 "hard fault" sequences.
The next 2 (memory fault) is a 512 which is me disconnecting the battery to get rid of the crazy "system checks OK" (111) code.
You would think that a system OK would be to turn off the check engine light!

I was also looking for a Powertrain Control/Emission Diagnosis manual and the ones that I see online (eBay) say 1994 Cars/Trucks but for OBDII. I thought this was a EEC IV system so I don't know if this is the right manual?
Yeah 1994 was the last year of EEC IV on the Ranger. OBDII/EEC V came out in the 1995 model year.

That does sound like an ECU fault... but I'm not an EEC IV guy. Try looking for 1993, AFAIK they're the same.

One thing to look for is a short in the wiring going to the CEL or some other oddness. Did you put LEDs in your dash?... I had a similar chain of "problems" with the RABS controller in a 1995; turns out the controller's "off" had enough current to convincingly light up the LED I swapped in place of the bulb. Went though both a JY controller and a NOS one from ebay before figuring out that for that location you do need a bulb (or a small dummy resistor). Kept getting code 12 (controller good) and never figured out why... no actual fault! :icon_idea:

akoz

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
Glad you brought up LED lights...not in this case, but someone did a real hack job installing an aftermarket stereo (oh, it doesn't turn on) so that's a good place to start looking.

I'll also check out the manuals for the 1993...thanks again!

ratdude747

Supporting Member
Article Contributor
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Tire Size
215/70R15
Glad you brought up LED lights...not in this case, but someone did a real hack job installing an aftermarket stereo (oh, it doesn't turn on) so that's a good place to start looking.

I'll also check out the manuals for the 1993...thanks again!
Off topic: I think my 1995 3.0 was the worst for lazy ass hack job radio installs. Moron installed it by twisting and taping badly stripped wires... at least they used the right harness adapter (it had premium audio). Later after it was wrecked I tried to pull the rear speakers (stripping interior for goodies) and found they also shoehorned infinity speakers in there (PITA to remove, barely fit), with wires twisted around the speaker tabs :icon_rofl:. Oh, and it came with a Jensen Head unit so crappy that all the wires weren't on a plug but a permanent pigtail (minus power, ignition, and ground). What a turd.

adsm08

Senior Master Grease Monkey
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
Isn't 111 the test passed code? The only way to get rid of that is to induce a fault that causes a different code.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals