• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

rear drive shaft question. cv to non cv

shawn.m

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
picked up a extended flex rear drive shaft. It is not a Carden type.
My current drive shaft is a carden custom job. It is starting to spread at the rear axle so it needs work.

any thoughts on running the NON -Carden Drive shaft? I know that I will have to change the angle of the rear axle from the current 8 degrees up to about 2 degrees up.

adsm08

Senior Master Grease Monkey
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
The CV style ones are generally considered to be junk. The double-cardan style is the preferred. I'd only use the CV as a temp until the other one is fixed.

disciplerocks

July 2011 OTOTM Winner
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
I concur. My CV one just blew up on me and I promptly replaced it with a cardan one.

Jspafford

Logan Andrew Feb 17, 2012
V8 Engine Swap
TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Chevy 3500HD
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
6.6L
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
5"
Tire Size
35"
I have a stock B2, but I have been running a rear drive shaft with a single u-joint on both ends for some time now. I would say it has at least 20K on it. No problems I can see or feel.

shawn.m

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
should have said the 2ne custom one that i have is a single u joint on each side

Shran

Junk Collector
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Truck of Month
Reaction score
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Single cardan will work fine for a stock height vehicle but I would be suspicious if it would even bolt up with more than a mild lift. I have a 6" in my B2 and a single cardan won't bolt up - u-joint angle is too extreme... even if it did bolt up it would destroy itself very quickly if the rear suspension flexed at all.

shawn.m

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
sorry I just realized i did the title as CV or NON CV . it should be Carden or no carden
Single cardan will work fine for a stock height vehicle but I would be suspicious if it would even bolt up with more than a mild lift. I have a 6" in my B2 and a single cardan won't bolt up - u-joint angle is too extreme... even if it did bolt up it would destroy itself very quickly if the rear suspension flexed at all.
are you talking about a CV driveshaft? yes that would not work

I have a double carden right now -see picture - if you look hard at the rear joint you can see it is spread a little bit

the new one is a single u joint on each side - lengthened to have more flex. You can see for some reason it is out of phase by 20 degrees or so. Just need to take it apart and move it over 3 teeth or so
extended

closed

Shran

Junk Collector
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Truck of Month
Reaction score
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
sorry I just realized i did the title as CV or NON CV . it should be Carden or no carden

are you talking about a CV driveshaft? yes that would not work

I have a double carden right now -see picture - if you look hard at the rear joint you can see it is spread a little bit
Well technically the style you have in there now is called Double Cardan OR CV, the terms are interchangeable. The other type of driveline, with the ball bearings and stuff like a CV axle is also called a CV driveline. It is confusing.

I think your pinion angle looks like it is way off. You might be able to get away with running your single cardan shaft with it the way it is now, but you will wear out u-joints really fast unless you fix your pinion angle. That is the whole reason they use the double cardan shafts to begin with... to correct for the extreme angles in situations like this.

I think the best solution for you would be to fix your pinion angle, and have a double cardan driveline built or put one together with stuff you already have.

shawn.m

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
1st I got it this way and the guy wheeled it this way for 5 years.

That said, the nose looks real high. However, when I measure the angle of the nose -9 degrees. It is pointed right at the end of the transfer case, which is the point it is supposed to be at for Double Carden driveshafts.

The angle does not take into account flexy rear springs that wrap and change the angle to even more up.

I bought some 4 degree shims yesterday and going to put them in and see what everything measures out to. If it is close I am going to put in the standard driveshaft in. Then go get my double carden that is the bronco now to be fixed.

adsm08

Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
Functionally and grammatically that is the same as what you have. There is double cardan, or single cardan, but no cardan would be CV.

shawn.m

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
ok if you want to get technical

I have a Double Cardan drive Shaft currently. the Double Cardan Shaft acts as a constant velocity joint - this is what is currently on my Bronco.

I am looking at replacing my Double Cardan shaft with a Cardan joint drive shaft which does not have Constant-velocity abilities. So I might experience more drive line vibration because of the lack of constant velocity abilities.

the early bronco 2's came with a Rzeppa joint or Tripod joints. which also acts as a very effective constant velocity joint. However, the lack of maintenance usually doomed these joints in a hostile 4x4 environment

The original question was how much more vibration I would feel.
:thefinger:

adsm08

Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15

Shran

Junk Collector
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Truck of Month
Reaction score
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Alright if you question is simply about vibration - I think you would have very little assuming your driveline is balanced, regardless of the type of joints. The CV/Double cardan is only there to correct angles. I had a single cardan type on my Ranger, the pinion angle way, way off and I had no vibration at all.

I still have my doubts about your pinion angle but let's just agree to disagree. :icon_cheers:

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals