• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Grinding noise

RonneyJAyala

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 For now...
Transmission
Manual
Hi, I have a 92 Ford ranger with a 4.0 v6, 5 speed manual transmission. My problem is, every time I take off from first or If second hits to low of a rpm, it makes a strange grinding noise coming the front of the truck. It doesn't sound good, but it also hasn't affected anything. All the gears seem fine, no slipping, or any other grinding noises, just when I take off. It seems to happen as the clutch is coming out.

Cybertybo

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
My credo
It Should Work
I have the exact same problem, I have 6x8's coming from crutchfield, but I am worried I will need an amp to completely drown out the noise. Seriously though, I have heard that this can be a shifter bushing problem, since that is a $15 part and 20 min swap I plan on trying that next. If it works, I will let you know. If you get anywhere let me know. I fear its a problem with the syncros.

Sent from my V11 using Tapatalk

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3.0 L
Transmission
Automatic
From the front?

The noise is coming from the front of the truck? That sounds more like a bad wheel bearing or something. I don't know why it would only do it in first or second though. What about your motor mounts? I have seen trucks that have worn out mount bushings that let the motor buck under a load and cause the fan to rub on the shroud.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals