• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

94 ranger 4.0l v6 manual Arguement

94xcab4x4

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
RIP 94
Make / Model
chevy cc 4x4 15
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
When i still had my 94xcab it was a 4.0 auto with 31x10.5 tires and 3.73 i towed my two place aluminum sled trailer with two sleds on it and it did pretty good. Just don't use od when towing. I also pulled a car 200 miles on a dolly and it did alright with that to.

starshooter10

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
4.0l
Transmission
Manual
So heres part of my problem I have 3.27s for gearing.
that;'ll do it...

we have the same truck but i think i have 4.10s

and i tow with no issues... I may have done 75+ up hill... while draggin 3k and a bedfull :|

dugga4life

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
i have a 94 4.0 manual as well and i tow a 800 pound boat and trailer combo and have the same issue in 5th but 1-4 is pretty good for a v6 .

tandangerranger

U.S. Military - Active
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mazda
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Your tire size will make just as much difference as gears. I noticed a big difference when i put 33's on. I still dont have a problem towing a 20ft ski boat staying in 4th. I have 3.73 gears but i would like to go 4.56 someday.

06RangerXLT

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Automatic
Facts- 94 ranger 4.0l v6
- 95,000 original miles (Owner claims it had 76k original when i bought it)
- 5 speed manual

Alright heres the issue. I just bought a two place snowmobile aluminum trailer. I have a four wheeler (500lbs) and a sled (500lbs) plus the weight of the trailer (500lbs) from what I have figured, 1500 to 1700 total weight being towed, I can barely get over 60mph in overdrive (5th) or 4th gear. Thing is maxed, pedal to the floor. I believe it should have to work to pull the load but not this much. My good friend (a chevy guy-his first problem) claims that I'm lucky the truck will haul my wheeler in the bed. I need some examples of loads people have pulled and at what speed for what distance.

If there isn't something odd about this I think I need to sell my ranger. :(
pulled a 23 foot RV trailer weighing about 2800 Lbs with 3.55 gears 32" tires. No problem at all. truck was on the overloads, but didnt phase it. I actually didnt feel the weight behind me. major difference here is the fact you have a OHV 4.0, which compared to the SOHC is a dog. now have 33's and 4.56's. lets just say it takes about 500 rpm just to break loose the tires.

Last edited:

FireRanger22

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Ive towed multiple cars and hauled 4 55gallon drums packed full of iron and steel with my 94 4.0 with 270k miles with no problems besides my bad slave cyl

Im quagmire I f*ck hoes, my cash flow Im gigiddygetting it

Will

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Toyota
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
major difference here is the fact you have a OHV 4.0, which compared to the SOHC is a dog.
That's not exactly true. The SOHC motor is much better over 4,000rpm where the pushrod motor runs out of breath, but they aren't drastically different in the normal driving rpm range below 3,000rpm.

rusty ol ranger

Im a Jeep guy now.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
177 CID
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
A legend to the old man, a hero to the child...
Gears make a HUGE difference when towing. I had a 94 E150 with a 302 and 3.31 gears, it would not pull anything at any speed, and had tremndous trouble on any incline, but on flat ground at 80MPH it would get alomst 20MPG :)

As for your chevy driving buddy, dont listen to him, i have a chevy driving buddy with a 2000 ZR2 blazer with a 4.3L that he swears will outpull my 89 F250 with a 460. (Both 4x4's).

I admit, i do drive a Colorado everyday....but i realize its nothing more then a cavalear with a bed and is not near as tough as a Ranger.

later,
DUstin

superchargedranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1999 2wd on 32s
Make / Model
FORD
Engine Size
3.0 4.0
Transmission
Manual
with my 2wd 3.0 on 32s with stock gears ive flat towed my 4x4 ranger on 37s for just under an hour and i was pushing 100kmh, its also flat towed my buddys 3/4ton dodge at 80kmh down the high way...ive had just over a ton in the box of it the list goes on, i notice towing anything for sure but it can be done and yes it hates 5th . this is it with the ton of compressors in it, its not great but it got the job done

Ruffinit

Supporting Member
U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1996, 2003
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0, 2.3 Duratec
Transmission
Manual
I wanted to wait to reply until I was done towing this weekend..
My truck is very similar to yours. '96, 4x4, SC, 4.0L, 3.27 gearing.

This weekend I towed an 18x7x7 tandem axle cargo Haulmark trailer almost 300 miles with no issues what so ever. I run 60mph @ 2500rpm. The only issue I had was on starting from a dead stop especially on hills. Without a granny, it's tough. I was able to keep it at between 60 and 65. Most of the trip it pulled so well that I didn't have to think about it. It stands ~8.5' tall at the nose. That was empty, so it's around 1500#.

I then picked up a 14x7x6.5 V-nose single axle Haulmark and loaded 2500# in it. Towed it 250 miles, unloaded it and ran it back another 55 miles empty. I ran up the Mississippi side of Missouri half way up Iowa through the rolling bluffs. NEVER downshifted from 4th gear and even out accelerated one truck and trailer on a hill. On one hill I got knocked down to 50, but only on one and that was loaded. On the empty trailer, I could maintain 70-72 in 5th just to test it for about 20 miles. It couldn't hold on some hills and rather than lug it, I just dropped to 65 in 4th.

The only thing that may make a difference in what your truck and mine is capable of is that I have a topper on. I can't believe that 2 sleds would cause that much of a drag. That 18' cargo trailer stood well above the topper on the truck.

I now have to go back and pick up the 18' loaded. Total weight is ~7500#. BUT it's 1/2" above the nubbers, so it's not overloaded... right?

Ruffinit

Supporting Member
U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1996, 2003
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0, 2.3 Duratec
Transmission
Manual
I wanted to wait to reply until I was done towing this weekend..
My truck is very similar to yours. '96, 4x4, SC, 4.0L, 3.27 gearing.

This weekend I towed an 18x7x7 tandem axle cargo Haulmark trailer almost 300 miles with no issues what so ever. I run 60mph @ 2500rpm. The only issue I had was on starting from a dead stop especially on hills. Without a granny, it's tough. I was able to keep it at between 60 and 65. Most of the trip it pulled so well that I didn't have to think about it. It stands ~8.5' tall at the nose. That was empty, so it's right at 2500#.

I then picked up a 14x7x6.5 V-nose single axle Haulmark and loaded 2500# in it (4000# gross). Towed it 250 miles, unloaded it and ran it back another 55 miles empty. I ran up the Mississippi side of Missouri half way up Iowa through the rolling bluffs. NEVER downshifted from 4th gear and even out accelerated one truck and trailer on a hill. On one hill I got knocked down to 50, but only on one and that was loaded. On the empty trailer, I could maintain 70-72 in 5th just to test it for about 20 miles. It couldn't hold on some hills and rather than lug it, I just dropped to 65 in 4th.

The only thing that may make a difference in what your truck and mine is capable of is that I have a topper on. I can't believe that 2 sleds would cause that much of a drag. That 18' cargo trailer stood well above the topper on the truck.

I now have to go back and pick up the 18' loaded. Total weight is 8700#. BUT it's 1/2" above the nubbers, so it's not overloaded... right? :derisive:

Added .. one more trip:
Just finished moving my daughter's family from Iowa to Lexington KY last weekend. We put the HHG in the Penske truck and I towed the '95 Cougar on a 20' flatbed trailer. Trailer and car were 6300#. I ran in 4th @ 60 - 65 the whole 525 miles. Though the trailer has brakes, my brother hadn't hooked them up so left plenty of room in front especially in traffic. The Ranger actually handled the weight (gross 10,580) without an issue. Towed the 2200# trailer back the 525 miles empty. Both directions the Ranger averaged 14.5mpg. Going out it was @ 60 in 4th, coming back it was 70 in 5th (mostly).

Last edited:

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals